Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing Kayaks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Kayaks

Any of you guys fish out of one of these fishing Kayaks? I was looking at them at Dicks Sporting goods. I just don't know if it would be comfortable enough or allow me to stand up every so often to stretch.

I live close to the Meramec River, George Winter park, and thought it may be good exercise and a good way to Crappie fish in Late march or April.

Post Thanks / Like

There ain't no standing up in them-but they are very popular for saltwater fishermen in Fl.-I can PM ya a website that has a seperate kayak forum.

The sit-on as opposed to the sit-in seems to be the favorite for fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ran a search for "kayak" on the main forum. Several pages of results but this one stood out. http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...ighlight=kayak

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer a canoe to a kayak definately. I grew up canoeing . Fished alot outta canoes. and you can gettem for the same or cheaper than a kayak, especially used.
    :D MichaelT. In the Zone

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I fish the Jacks fork a couple times a year.I prefer a sit in kayak especially if the weather is cool.you have to pack your gear very wisely and be carefull not to break your rod.A longer kayak will be a little less manuverable but in missouri unless the rivers are up from lots of rain its not a problem.Ive fished in a 10 foot,a 13 foot and a 17 foot.The longer ones will go through shallow water easier but even a 10 foot kayak will float through water a canoe would ground on.This october we floated from bay creek down to alley springs on the jacks fork.All the outfitters told us we would probably have to carry our kayaks a lot. I had to drag mine 20 feet maybe 3 or 4 times in 7 miles( i was using a 10 foot kayak) my friend had to drag his once(17 foot kayak).Most of the time we would find a promising spot and get out of the kayak and fish it thouroghly but it is possible to fish while in the kayak.We fished Mark twain lake on labor day weekend and caught a few crappie and bass and bluegill.I really missed my fishfinder and trolling motor though.If you have any specific questions ask away and Ill try to answer them.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience out of a canoe is not too good. We went on a long float trip on the Gasconade years ago and ended up going backwards about 90% of the time. Finally we grounded it on a gravel bar, fought a couple of rounds, drank some snapps,and some beer we had tied down just in case. After that things went better, but I vowed not to every get in anything without a motor.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with ya Dave the whole paddling unstable thing just aint for me.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a thread I recently posted on the Georgia Kayak Fishing site.
    http://atlantakayakfishing.com/forum...927&highlight=
    I also jug fish for catfish with it and have taken it to the beach for speckled trout and redfish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response. The main reason I was looking into a kayak was the portability. I know it will not be comfortable like my bass boat was but I have nowhere to keep a boat or waverunner anymore. I refuse to pay 50 or more a month for an open storage in my area.

The sit on top ones..they just don't look to be as comfortable as a sit in. I did some kayaking in cancun on a sit on the top model and my back was killing me. Of course I wasn't fishing which would take my mind off of it.

This one looks like what I was looking at
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...ighlight=kayak

That's funny OsageMo. Going backwards sounds like me and my wife on float trips.

I have a few months unfortunately to contemplate. Damn this cold weather blows.

Have a great Christmas guys.