Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider Riggin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Riggin

Please tell a greenhorn about Spider Riggin. Once the lines are out, do I just drift? Generally speaking, what size weight would you use if you were spider riggin 15 feet deep? Do you fish a single hook per pole or two hooks.
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

The size weight depends on how fast you are moving. You want to keep lines at a 90 degree angle to your rod to insure they are straight down. 1/4 to 1/2 on calm days and on up on windy days. I would start with singles hooks and work up to doubles as confidence gets higher. Keep rod tips a foot off the water and add that foot to the length of line you let out. If you want to fish 15 let out 16.

Post Thanks / Like

Ronnie, if it's real windy I'll usually fish with more weight. But typically I spider-rig with a 3/32 oz jig head and size 2 spit shot a foot or so above my jig. Sometimes I'll just drift over flats, other times I try to target brush or drop-offs. I learned the technique from guide Richard Williams. He was kind enough to share the knowledge.

I'll put my rod tips close to the water and use the pole length to gauge my depth. Usually fish a different depth and different bait,(sometimes two jigs) on each pole. I always tip my jigs with a crappie nibble or minnow.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad
    Ronnie, if it's real windy I'll usually fish with more weight. But typically I spider-rig with a 3/32 oz jig head and size 2 spit shot a foot or so above my jig. Sometimes I'll just drift over flats, other times I try to target brush or drop-offs. I learned the technique from guide Richard Williams. He was kind enough to share the knowledge.

I'll put my rod tips close to the water and use the pole length to gauge my depth. Usually fish a different depth and different bait,(sometimes two jigs) on each pole. I always tip my jigs with a crappie nibble or minnow.
    Yep. I can tell you been hanging around Richard. :D
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

He's the best
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a 1/2 ounce bouble rig on a calm day and would jump to a 3/4 on a windy day to keep it down!!
    Mr. Plucker

Post Thanks / Like

Hey canepole, Richards method has worked pretty well for me....as much as I hate to admit it the Old fart can catch fish.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey canepole, Richards method has worked pretty well for me....as much as I hate to admit it the Old fart can catch fish.

Yep. He gets lucky every once in a while.:D
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Yeah... What he said...
    Gotta have a fresh can of spiders
    :D MichaelT. In the Zone