Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Breaking Glass

Post Thanks / Like

Default Breaking Glass

When using a coleman lantern this time of year,how do you keep the globe from cracking/breaking when you turn it off?I went the other night and fished about 4 hours and when I wasn't catching anything I decided to leave.I turned off both coleman prophane lanterns while i untied the boat and got everything ready to go.I was just fixin to crank the motor and i herd the globe crack.When i got back to the ramp both of them were broke?How do ya'll keep them from breaking?It was about 40 degrees.
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sam1
    When using a coleman lantern this time of year,how do you keep the globe from cracking/breaking when you turn it off?I went the other night and fished about 4 hours and when I wasn't catching anything I decided to leave.I turned off both coleman prophane lanterns while i untied the boat and got everything ready to go.I was just fixin to crank the motor and i herd the globe crack.When i got back to the ramp both of them were broke?How do ya'll keep them from breaking?It was about 40 degrees.
    thanks
    Hey, sam, I've had that problem on cold nights before. I just turn the light down low and let it cool gradually, then turn it off.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb yeah ....

short of trying to find Pyrex glass globes (if they even exist) .... that's about the best you can do (like labill says).
    I've had to replace a globe or two in my days of lantern fishing .... but, not from cracking due to going from hot to cold. Big honking boats coming by, plowing water and rocking the boat - dipping the lantern into the lake ... now that's how I've broken a few !! Yes, I had them hanging over the side of the boat, just above the water's surface :rolleyes: ... but I didn't use them enough to warrant buying a hanging pole :p ...LOL!! Anyway .........luck2ya ........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good advice about turning it down to low for a while before shutting them off

Hey CP:

I made a lantern hanger out of PVC pipe. I have had to play around with it to get it adjusted just right. At first it was too tall and I could not leave it on my boat and get the boat back inside the garage. The top of the lantern holder PVC would hit the bottom of my overhead garage door. Now that I cut the height down a bit it works much better. I still want to keep the Coleman lantern out of the water so I hang the lantern pretty high up above the water. I can lower the lantern down closer to the water by adding some chain to the hanger. I will play with it some more this summer when I do some more night fishing.

I need to get a digital camera so that I can post pictures of this stuff. It's amazing what you can do with some pvc pipe and an imigination.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    short of trying to find Pyrex glass globes (if they even exist) .... that's about the best you can do (like labill says).
    I've had to replace a globe or two in my days of lantern fishing .... but, not from cracking due to going from hot to cold. Big honking boats coming by, plowing water and rocking the boat - dipping the lantern into the lake ... now that's how I've broken a few !! Yes, I had them hanging over the side of the boat, just above the water's surface :rolleyes: ... but I didn't use them enough to warrant buying a hanging pole :p ...LOL!! Anyway .........luck2ya ........cp
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I've used them for years in cold weather and never had a problem with them breaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

When you turn it off wrap one piece of aluminum foil around it. The foil will allow it to cool slowely without the sudden temp change that causes the breaks.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    I've used them for years in cold weather and never had a problem with them breaking.
    I've used mine ice fishing with no problem when i shut it down. And i'm talking about using it outside with no shanty. My only problem is with the mantles breaking so easily.

Post Thanks / Like

We use them on the ice and it is whole lot colder out than 40 degrees, try like 15-20 plus wind chill!!! Never had a glasss break from temperature. It is possible that the metal cap is a little too tight. The glass and metal will cool at different speeds. Try keeeping the top just tight enough so the glass will rattle. Have had problems with condensation freezing in the metering valve in the cold.