Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baking jig heads

Post Thanks / Like

Default baking jig heads

I've been powder coating jig heads. How long to you bake them and at what temperature? Does it stink bad enough I need to use a toaster oven in the garage? I have heard it makes it almost impossible to chip them when baked and I have been chipping all mine in the rocks. Any help would be appreciated.
    LIFE IS TO SHORT TO FISH WITH A DEAD MINNER AND I WISH I WAS SOMEWHERE HOOKING LIP.

Post Thanks / Like

I put mine arround a big bowl and use a 100watt light bulb over the top and let it heat up for a couple hours temp gets as high as 160dg. works good.never tried to bake in oven I don't think they would smell.

Post Thanks / Like

I've baked mine in the oven before and I didn't notice any smell, however don't bake them like it says to do on the jar of powder paint, I had the damnest mess and the oddest looking jigs you've ever seen!! I bake mine on about 150 or 160 like Beagle said for about 15 to 20 min. and haven't had any more problems.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear from you again Monk.

Yes, 150 for 20 minutes works really well.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

I use the oven. I heat the jig to about 250°, I hang the jigs from the wire rakes by the hook. When heated I place a few in a hot cast iron pan on top the stove. After dipping the jig I hang them again and turn up the oven to 350°. I like the jig to appear powdery and dry before curing them. I have found the paint runs less this way. I have never noticed any smell to the oven.

What you do not want to do is go to work (when working evenings) and leave them in the oven to cool off. Women do not think it funny to find fishing lures in HER oven.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even bake my jig heads when I paint them. I use a small gas torch on a low heat heat them up and then dip them in the paint. Afterwards I'll run them over the heat again for about 2 seconds and they come out just as good as if I baked them. The paint stays on great and it looks like the ones you can buy from a store. Just my .02 though!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

pen torch... plain `n simple .......save your oven and $$$ for real cookin
    :D MichaelT. In the Zone

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I'm always looking for something new to try or a new way to do a old trick to help me HOOK MORE LIP
    LIFE IS TO SHORT TO FISH WITH A DEAD MINNER AND I WISH I WAS SOMEWHERE HOOKING LIP.

Post Thanks / Like

dave i tried the torch trick and then i went down to the good-will store and found a new toaster oven for $3.00,,,works great and mom's happy that iam not in the kitchen(and when mom's happy the world is happy)
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, guys. I dont normally look at the Mizzou board but i did today, so i thought i would put in my 2 cents.

i use an old electric skillet, a deep one that I got at a rummage sale for only a couple of quarters. I hang the jigs on the side for about 10 minutes and the paint gets as hard as a rock. Never chipped one and I fish rip-rap about 90% of the time.

Hope this helps.

CP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast