Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New Motor Break In

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Motor Break In

I have never purchased a brand new boat, but for future reference, when you guys talk about breaking in the new motor, could you describe what you are supposed to do? i am guessing something with the gas or oil or not running it at full spped? just wondering and thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

The break in for my new Merc was add oil to the first tank of gas, and run half speed for the first 10 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Patrick said, I think they recommend adding extra oil to a certain amount of gas for ring-seating purposes. Dude at the Tracker place told me they put 1 hour's worth of gas in the tank like this. The motor is oil injected too, by the way. He told me to run it wide open for 3 minutes, idle speed for 3 minutes, half throttle for three minutes, repeat, repeat.......suppose to help ring seating putting it through all them temp changes, or something like that.

If you do this, you might get some stares from other folks close by and called a drunk hootelum, or even get pulled over by the water patrol wondering what yo problem is
    Last edited by luvjign; 12-11-2007 at 12:01 AM.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

luvjign is right that is what they told me for the first tank of gas, but after awhile I just ran it like I was going to run it wide open. I have had now for 12years and have not had no problems with it.
    can't catch'em at home

Post Thanks / Like

Run it like you stole it,:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentpole
    Run it like you stole it,:D
    Mine is a Yamaha 150 I purchased new in August. It took a crap in fifteen hours and four weeks of ownership. Break in was by the book. I fought for a new motor, but I lost that one.
    They put a new powerhead on it and I did just what you said "Run it like you stole it". For break in I ran it with the trim all the way down. Ease it up to WOT in 1000 rpm blocks for ten minute at each setting. It burned 40 gallons in 2.5 hours. I did this the first ten hours. After that I run it normal but make sure I get it good and hot and then let it cool before shutdown.
    This one is a good running motor. I have just over 25 hours on it now. I'm not sure I'll ever trust it and I'm still po'd about paying over $14 for a motor now worth less that $7, but time heals all wounds, as they say.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 12-11-2007 at 09:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I listened to the salesman tell me how to break it in then I went home and read the book on the motor, I went by the book. After the breakin I took it back to the mechanic, he plugged in a reader to the computer and downloaded info and he could see just how I broke it in. I'm glad I followed the book because if I had broke it in "like I stole it" then the warranty might have been voided.
    BamaFan

There are two things to aim for in life: First, to get what you want; and after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieves the second. Author unknown, but I like it!

papasage is online now Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

ant time you buy new boat motor or a car truck or most motorized pice of equipment you loose a lot of money all you have to do is take ownership . i never buy new . can`t aford it anyway :D
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the engine type.
    Old 2 Smoke with oil injection
    -Run 50:1 gas in the tank for the first 10 hours
    -troll around for the first 10 minutes or so, then under 3000rpm for the next 1/2 hour after that.
    -No Extended WOT runs (more than a few minutes)for the first 10 hours

DI 2 strokes (etec, optimax, tohatsu DI, yamaha DI)
    -Computer takes care of the extra oiling otherwise the same as old 2 strokes, except Etec which pretty much says runner like you stole her!

4 Strokes
    - Same as old 2 strokes except for changing the oil/filter at 10 hours and DON'T add oil to the gas.