Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holding deep V bottom in wind

Post Thanks / Like

Default Holding deep V bottom in wind

Lookin for another boat, aluminum 17 to 18' deep V. Question is...how well can you hold it in (15mph or less) wind with trollin motor. I only vertical jig brush. Notice most of these type boats have high sides, oughta catch a lot of wind? Will a Lund, Tracker, etc compare with glass bass boats in the wind?
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish from a 16' Tracker Pan Fisher (stick steer). In a 15MPH wind I absolutely will not try to jig vertically. I anchor with the stern to the wind. If I don't or the wind changes directions, it will have the bow blowed around in no time. I have tried to let Darryl Morris and Jerry Blake coach me in their hovering method. I would just rather anchor and throw jigs at a brush top.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Hovering is alot easier form me since I got a trolling motor with auto pilot it is just the easiest way in a steady wind.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this may sound bizarre but to me, the cat's meow in that
    situation is to turn your back (stern) into the wind and hold with a transom
    mount tm or a small gas motor in reverse. Of course you have to have the right set up to get away with this, but the deep v is the rig - add some splash guards and you're set.

Instead of the bow constantly trying to turn left and right, the back will
    just pull straight into the wind (or hover) with hardly any attention on the
    steering. Helps too if it's a tiller boat, unless you want to rig up another
    depthfinder and gps back there, but some guys do that too with a "wheel boat"
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

A deep V boat with any weight to it will hold just fine.A light hull will get pushed around alittle easier.As far as high sides, if you stay with a tournament series stylehull its sides are alittle higher than a bass style boat, but sure make a nice ride in rough water.Ive been using a deep v for crappies since the ealry 80's.It just fits the bill for us multi species guys up North.PJ

Post Thanks / Like

I use my trolling motor alot. and I also use a drift sock and the trolling motor to stay on a river ledge in wind for example. I used to hover more when I had a tiller but it is easily done with a steering wheel with a little practice

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jeff and I can see how sitting in the back of a boat (more weight) and backing into the wind is more manageable. The front will follow more easily and you'll have less spin. However, not many folks are set up to fish that way unless you're from MN and fishing from a Lund or something like that.

I vertical fish from a Kenner center console bay boat. It's wide, has a flat bottom and high sides. Sometimes a variable wind will tend to spin me around. But, if you have big trolling motor (mine 80lb. thrust Minnkota with 3X steering) and "anticipate" what the wind is going to do to you before its action is complete, you will control the boat easily.

The key is don't get behind. If you're always playing catch up, you'll never get there and you'll be constantly fighting it. Work several steps ahead of what the wind is going to do to you. In strong wind, pull forward (lines drag out) ahead of your sweet spot and then let the wind drift you back into it (lines vertical). Fish as long as you can before getting too far behind and then pull forward again. When you've had enough of that, find a place out of the wind to fish, because if you can't present your bait properly the likelihood of catching diminishes.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Yep Darryl you're right about that, it is a little unusual around here.
    Get some real funny looks at times - at least this way, I can think they're
    gawking at how I'm fishing instead of just staring 'cause I'm ugly :D

I am just backwards I guess :p
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/f...ienut/boat.jpg
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Get some real funny looks at times - at least this way, I can think they're
    gawking at how I'm fishing instead of just staring 'cause I'm ugly :D

Passing gear:D :D
    Gone Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

J
    I think you're just a misplaced Northern boy.Youre set up to come walleye fishing to a T.LOL:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast