Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steps to Make Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Steps to Make Jigs

I've been thinking about starting to make my own jigs...and I've read the posts about the equipment and material needed - but was wondering, in a very basic sense, what are the steps...

Example -

1 - take a jig head in a vise
    2 - wrap.....

don't even know if my example starts me off right - just looking for ideas before I jump in to this!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannagofishin
    Example -

1 - take a jig head in a vise
    2 - wrap.....
    2- wrap thread base around hook shank (materials will cling to that better than the bare hook.)

3- Tie in tail material (marabou, for example)

4- Tie in body material (chenille) near tail

5- Wrap body material around hook shank up to the jig head

6- Tie off body with half hitches or whip finish.

That's the steps for a very basic marabou & chenille jig. Clouser-type jigs are a little different.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bass Pro Video

I mentioned this in another thread, but this might be a good spot to mention it again. Bass Pro has an excellent jig tying video available. I can't find it on their website anymore, but individual stores still carry it. I saw it at the Atlanta BPS just this past weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Go to this site...
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Click on fly tying and then beginning tying and read all the steps as the same steps go into jigs as they do flies. This is basically where I learned. Look at the patterns using chenille and such.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

These may help you.

I have already posted this thread http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...375#post305375 which is now in the archives as well as on this Jig tying / Jig Making forum which will help anyone learn to tie these jigs. There are many suggestions on that thread. Here is another good thread. http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=49489 or http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=48982 If you have not checked out those threads I would encourage individuals to do so.

These are my basic steps that I personally use.
    Wrap the starter thread on the hook shank. Add a drop of super glue, or head cement. Tie in a two tone marabou tail. Add a drop of super glue, or head cement. Tie in Krystal flash. Double over and add a half hitch knot.

Begin to tie in the chenille and black stripe at the end of the tail feathers. Strip off some of the fibers so the inner thread is exposed and wrap that around the thread. Then bring the tying thread to the front. Wrap the chenille tightly about four turns to the front. Secure with a half hitch knot. Wrap the stripes to the front of the jig hook. Secure with two half hitch knots. Cut the extra off close to the jig body. Add a drop of super glue or head cement. Hang the fly to dry.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Default youtube,flies and jigs

go to (youtube.com),enter fly tying into the search,some great info on tying flies and jigs too.

Post Thanks / Like

This site is where I learned to tie jigs from the information posted by Shipahoy and Skiptomylou! Below is a picture of some I tied this year and I plan to use these ice fishing!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Those jigs look great and will work well. Personally, I like the ones with the tail. You may want to reduce the size of your pictures before posting them so people can see the full effect of your pictures. I use photobucket. Nice job!
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Jigs Len and you will probably catch fish on them and that is a great feeling.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast