Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gps

Been thinking about getting a hand held GPS. Since alot of you guys already use them. What kind would you recomend. It would be all new to me so it would be nice if it was easy to use. Mainly just want to make a few way points for tree stumps and some cover that I`ve put out in my local lake. It would be bought after Christmas unless I run into a good sale!

Post Thanks / Like

Best reviews for the handhelds are for the Garmin 60CSx. I bought one in September and I can tell you that it is super easy to use. It's built like a tank and locks onto satellites very quickly. Even in inclement weather and under the thick canopy of the woods, this GPS never loses service.

All of your GPS needs can be found at this website: www.gpsinformation.net

We have a new Cabela's that opened up here in Louisiana and this was gonna be my first purchase from there. The price: $449. After a quick search on the internet, I found them for $270 (after a Garmin $50 rebate).

You will not be disappointed.
    Dude, your cork's under.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lowrance iFinder H20c that I am very happy with. It was my first forray into the marine GPS. I've had automotive GPS's since 2001 for my motorcycle.

Anyway, for a hand held, it does well, and was a relatively inexpensive way for me to find out if I wanted a combo Sonar/GPS for the boat. I expect to purchase one early next year, then probably put the iFinder up for sale.

I purchased a Fishing HotSpots card for it, and it was a wise investment. Made fishing unknown lakes a lot easier.

Hope that helps....

Jeff
    Skeeter Jeff
    Indianapolis, IN

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Greg:

You know what my Garmin Map76 does for me. You can get one with a data cable and add a marine mount and 12-volt power cable/adapter for right around $200 from www.JandHproducts.com.

Here are the individual links:

GPS with data cable - http://www.jandhproducts.com/_e/loc/...6%26so%3D0%26s

Power Cord - http://www.jandhproducts.com/_e/Garm...0_10085_00.htm

Marine Mount - http://www.jandhproducts.com/_e/Garm...0_10300_00.htm
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree Jerry. Good bang for the buck. You can add fishing hot spots to it too (if you are so inclined). Another 100 bucks.
    Nope. I don't own one, but I got pals that have it. It works good too.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

garmin all the way easy to use and understand the instructions. but i go a step further. i purchased topo usa from delorme it covers the whole eastern or western usa, it is a map of every state, and all the lakes. when i go out fishing or hunting i mark all my hot spots on my handheld and when i get back home i can mark them on topo on my laptop. it also works in reverse order, you can look at your home lake and get gps location of any spot land or water(everywhere your pointer moves it gives you the longitude and latatude) and then put that into your handheld and get to the exact spot. chek them out at delorme.com
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a garmin and like it, but the one thing I will say is get one were the compass will still read if your not moving. The one I have is the etrex and if your not moving the compass won't read, you have to be moving at least 1.5mph to get the compass to read, and on a windy day sometimes it cannot tell if your moving or not. Go to ebay and see whats on there you can also look for reburbished ones on google or yahoo.
    can't catch'em at home

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lowrance ifinder Explorer that I'm very pleased with.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend Sanyo's eneloop 2000 mah NiMH batteries for the GPSs'.

Last 10 times longer than the higher rated 2500 - 2700 mah NiMH batteries. They come precharged.
    Dude, your cork's under.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely love my Garmin GPSMap76. Make sure you get the cable that allows connection to your PC. However, mine is a serial connector. Perhaps the new ones use USB? Love it 'cause it goes down to a 20' scale, making it easy to see how close you are to a brush pile, and it's accurate as all get out.

Also, I have a brand new, never used RAM mount for the Garmin76 series. Got it as a gift; you mount the RAM in your boat or on your car dash. I don't need it as I have 2 GPS's mounted in the boat already and will sell the mount for $5 plus shipping. PM me if interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast