Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drift Sock.. Who uses Them..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drift Sock.. Who uses Them..

tightlining with a bowmounted trolling motor? Wondering what size and how many to slow a 17' allumininm Bass Tracker to crawl (1mph). I have a 5 speed trolling motor (46lb. thrust) and first gear is much too fast.. Looking for something good in moderate to high winds as well.. Any sugestions.. Your opinions are greatly valued..... Thanks JusFishn

Post Thanks / Like

Unless I'm mistaken, there's an article about this in the latest Crappie World mag showing Jim Duckworth using one.

Post Thanks / Like

We use them all the time up north here for controlled drift fishing.I prefer a large bag with an adjustable opening on the bottom.This give you the ability to adjust the resistance of the sock.A larger opening the water passes through faster and you drift quicker.Close the opening and it slows you down.Driftmaster makes a great bag and has several sizes.Another method used heavily down south is dragging a chain.Less likely to get caught up on a stump.PJ

Post Thanks / Like

Default wonderful

I have used drift socks on several lakes. They are wonderful for drift fishing. The best fishing situations that I have found are drifting across "flats" with spider rigs. Set your poles out and just relax and jerk em in. Works up to 15mph winds. I would get the biggest sock that I could find. You can make a harness and save some money on the store bought rigs. I got mine at Bass Pro or Cabelas. One piece of advise " don't foget to bring the sock in and take off to another spot". No fun! One more thing, drift socks can save the day when our "Maker" decides to turn the big fan on in the sky. (heavy winds).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I use the chain it is so easy to adjust your resistance. Perchjerker hit it when he said they dont get hung up they just ride over or around any obstacles!
    Mr. Plucker

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be caught fishing in the spring without mine. I have two....bought at bass pro and are rated by the size/length boat you have. One sock works good for the most part....I'll use two when the winds really get going. Really helps slow my bait presentation down a lot.

With a 17ft boat I'd say one sock would do you, unless your boat is real light like a jon boat and more susceptible to the wind. I'd buy one and try it out then decide whether you need to have another one on board handy to you.

Post Thanks / Like

I borrowed a 24" dia sock, not big enough for a 19' jon. Ordered a 44" one that outta snag every stump in the lake.
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

I'vew ben running chains for years.. Works like a charm!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

chains are a whole lot easier to use. Thanks Quicksilver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chains?

I have a 20' x 70" xpress and I use a 52" drift sock and it works great in deeper water but with our lake conditions around here we don't have deep lakes much any more. I would like to hear more about the chains. How long of a chain do you use and what size chain? How far do you let it out behind the boat?

Thanks

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast