Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dockshooting water temps?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dockshooting water temps?

What are the water temps when you guys shoot docks? Can you do this year round?

Post Thanks / Like

we do it all year as long as we have water under the docks

Post Thanks / Like

next time I'm out on Keowee, which is loaded with docks, I'm going to give it a shot. I believe that will be a good time to use those dock fly's I got from ya.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Cleon ....

Quote Originally Posted by Cleon
    What are the water temps when you guys shoot docks? Can you do this year round?
    Most of the time I'm shooting docks, it's Spring or Fall, and the water temps are probably in the low 60's. But, that's not to say that Summer dock shooting won't work ... since shaded water is cooler than surrounding (sunlit) water. Winter dock shooting, I can't tell you much about, since I haven't done any. But, since there are boathouses & marinas with heated rooms and cutout floors ... and people fish for Crappie in there ... it stands to reason that the fish are there, if there's a reason for them to be -- so I'd have to say, yeah, it would probably work then, too. It would probably be better in certain areas of the country, than others, though.
    I've got a limited amount of experience in shooting docks, having only done it in two states (Tenn/Ala) and on two bodies of water (Watts Bar/Weiss). I have done it in my home state (KY), but on a extremely limited basis.

But I have noticed a couple of things :
    You're more likely to catch Black Crappie (Spring or Fall) under docks in deeper water (>10ft of water at front edge of dock) and White Crappie under docks with less water (Spring), and White Crappie come in to the docks later (when water is warmer). In the Fall, White Crappie don't seem to come into the docks as much, and tend to stay out along creek channels and drops. That may or may not hold true in SC, so take it for what it's worth.

Considering the normally mild Winters in SC ... and if the docks have adequate water under them (& cover/baitfish) ... I see no reason why you wouldn't find Crappie using them, then, as well as the rest of the year. I'd start with the docks with the deepest water under them, and work my way to the shallower ones. If that fails to produce, I'd head to the closest channel drop. If there's a deep flat with submerged timber between the docks and the channel ... I'd fish my way across it when moving from one to the other.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    Most of the time I'm shooting docks, it's Spring or Fall, and the water temps are probably in the low 60's. But, that's not to say that Summer dock shooting won't work ... since shaded water is cooler than surrounding (sunlit) water. Winter dock shooting, I can't tell you much about, since I haven't done any. But, since there are boathouses & marinas with heated rooms and cutout floors ... and people fish for Crappie in there ... it stands to reason that the fish are there, if there's a reason for them to be -- so I'd have to say, yeah, it would probably work then, too. It would probably be better in certain areas of the country, than others, though.
    I've got a limited amount of experience in shooting docks, having only done it in two states (Tenn/Ala) and on two bodies of water (Watts Bar/Weiss). I have done it in my home state (KY), but on a extremely limited basis.

But I have noticed a couple of things :
    You're more likely to catch Black Crappie (Spring or Fall) under docks in deeper water (>10ft of water at front edge of dock) and White Crappie under docks with less water (Spring), and White Crappie come in to the docks later (when water is warmer). In the Fall, White Crappie don't seem to come into the docks as much, and tend to stay out along creek channels and drops. That may or may not hold true in SC, so take it for what it's worth.

Considering the normally mild Winters in SC ... and if the docks have adequate water under them (& cover/baitfish) ... I see no reason why you wouldn't find Crappie using them, then, as well as the rest of the year. I'd start with the docks with the deepest water under them, and work my way to the shallower ones. If that fails to produce, I'd head to the closest channel drop. If there's a deep flat with submerged timber between the docks and the channel ... I'd fish my way across it when moving from one to the other.

... cp
    Now thats the info I'm looking for. Thanks!! :D Keowee is loaded with docks and deep water. I've had trouble finding them at times on channel ledges and on the few brushpiles I can find in that lake so I'm looking for a new strategy.

Anybody else have any experience doing this during the winter??

Post Thanks / Like

To all,

What is your rod, reel, line and bait set up for shooting docks? I would like to try this

Brush Buster
    Brush Buster

Post Thanks / Like

Dock Shooting here on Weiss Lake year round - but crappie seem to use them more often in the spring and fall season. Two things that really helps when shooting docks is structure (brush) under the dock and bright sunny days. Dont be afraid to shoot shallow water docks in the dead of summer - I have had some really good days doing this.

Brush Buster
    You cant go wrong with a B'n'M Sharp Shooter - I like the 5 1/2 foot model with 6lb Sufix Seige line using a 1/24 oz lead head with a Southern Pro Stinger Grub.
    Good Fishin...
    Kelly
    Kelly Matthews
    Weiss Lake Guide Service
    www.weisslakeguideservices.com

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Brush Buster ...

Quote Originally Posted by Brush Buster
    To all,
    What is your rod, reel, line and bait set up for shooting docks? I would like to try this
    Brush Buster

About the only thing you can't use, to shoot docks with, is a baitcaster reel :p

I've used rods from 5ft to 8ft in length - Micro-lite to MH action - spincast and spinning reels from UL to mid level Bass size (2000 series) - 4lb to 6lb test mono, and 10lb test braid :D

But, starting out, I think you'd be best served using a 5-6ft med-light graphite rod, and a spinning reel (one that balances well with the rod). If using light equipment, or small spool reel (UL) ... go with 4lb test line. If using a long or wide spool reel, you can usually get 6lb test line to work well. Whatever line/reel/rod combo, that you can cast good with ... you can usually shoot docks with, pretty easily.
    Bait -- usually depends on how open the dock is, how high the bottom edge of the dock is over the surface of the water, and whether or not there's a brushpile underneath. Mostly I'm using a 1/32 - 1/16oz weedless jighead and a Panfish Assassin or tube (hollow or solid body) ... but, have also been known to use a Roadrunner, Whirly Bee, marabou jig, and others. Panfish Assassins seem to skip across the water a little better than most other types of jigs/jig & plastics.

But, to answer your question ... as it was asked :

I have two outfits that I use primarily for dock shooting.

5ft Quantum Graphite UL spinning rod (model 653N)
    Shakespeare Alpha XT 1000 spinning reel (trigger model)
    4lb test Stren Gold (mono)

5.5ft "prototype" spinning rod (currently field testing this rod)
    Shakespeare Alpha XT 1000 spinning reel (trigger model)
    4lb test Mr Crappie Super hi-vis (mono)

Some like the short UL outfits, while others prefer a longer & heavier action outfit ... it's just personal preference, really. Try out several different ones, when you're "practicing" your shooting skills, and go with the one that works best for you !!

You might also want to read thru this thread : http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...=dock+shooting and see if it helps you any with the mechanics of "shooting a jig".
    You might also be interested in this article I wrote - http://www.crappie.com/articles/crappiepappy.htm - just as a follow-up method to shooting a dock. (it's also good as a primary method, around vertical structure, standing trees, downed trees, pier posts, bridge pilings, etc)

Dock shooting is a fun way to catch Crappie, and under the right circumstances ... a very productive way, too !!

... luck2ya ... cp