Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Extending casting deck

Post Thanks / Like

Default Extending casting deck

Can anyone give me some ideas on the best way to extend the casting deck...i have my marine plywood, but what about the base? build a box to screw it into or what? thanks in advance!!

Post Thanks / Like

Can't give you no advice,'Cause I'm wanting to do mine also,:D, Very good topic,I need to know too.

Post Thanks / Like

Might find some help here: http://members.cox.net/keith.w.davis/
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/4" diamond plate aluminum for the deck extension and square alum tubing for the floor braces, all riveted together. No rot, rust or squeaks using aluminum. Got the metal from junkyard. "Luke-Bond" is another fine material to use... very light, easy to cut and strong. Hard to find sometimes.
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

Square aluminum tubing? can you describe better or hagve any pics? pics is what i really need...i was thinking about just cutting some 2x10's and cutting to height...then just drilling plywood to those and setting in place...i dont know really..

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've modified almost every alum boat I've ever owned. If you're going to do it, do it right. Wood adds LOTS of weight that you dont notice til you're done. Square tubing and alum plate aren't givaway priced, but they don't shake loose if done right and they never rot. If you can find a sheet metal shop with a good man in the fabrication shop, he can save lots of time and money. If you talk to the office first, you'll go away shaking your head. those folks are there to make money. The shop is where you start, and if they won't talk to you- keep looking. The shop I used does heat and air work. Good luck- happy hunting.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

skeetbum--does the weight hurt in a fiberglass boat? it is so heavy anyways i cant see it hurtin too much? i am only gonna add another 25-50 lbs i am guessing in wood material...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lhumphre
    Square aluminum tubing? can you describe better or hagve any pics? pics is what i really need...i was thinking about just cutting some 2x10's and cutting to height...then just drilling plywood to those and setting in place...i dont know really..
    The 2x10s will work too but I like 2"sq tubing for the uprights because then I have more room for storage under deck. Sorry, no pics, haven't figured out how to trick hotmail settings to allow upload yet.

If you do end up usin wood I would screw and glue and corner brace it. Adds even more weight but might save you a fall overboard.
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

Skeetbum is on the right track you can also talk to county road poeple they usually have old signs you can get. The less weight the better you are. I always have used luke-bond strong and light but it is hard to find. The street signs work great also. Good luck.
    can't catch'em at home