Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: tips on vertical jigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default tips on vertical jigging

How about some tips from you vertical jigging guys. 1 jig/1 pole.

Finding the depth/presentation/equipment/boat control/finding a pattern/anything that helps.

I have been mostly a "troller" or as canepole would say "floating trotline". I have have been landlocked lately due to motor problems. Been fishing out of a friends boat and off boat docks with jigging pole and no minners. Having fun! Need more info

Post Thanks / Like

Even though it's 1 jig 1 pole, I actually use 2 (one in each hand). I've been doing it like this for a few years and gotten used to it. I start off easing down into brush, stop at the top (when I bump something) and let it sit and then jig a little, then go down into the brush and repeat, and then I try to go thru the brush. Fish the outside of it real good all the way around. If they aren't in brush, I watch the depth finder closely and try to find the baitfish and then work 1 foot above them. The presentation varies and I have to re-establish it from day to day. Jig about 6in and let it ease back down. They almost always bite on the fall or sitting dead still, don't overwork it! It's like using a grunt call on a buck, too much will turn them away. Sometimes it's just a slight bump up and others it's just a little slide from side to side in the water. I never tie up and always use the trolling motor on low unless the wind's up. Patterns change from day to day, so whatever you try, remember it and try different things. You can use this later that day and on your next trips to the water. It would take a book to get you completely going on this, but hopefully you can get a start from this and other responses. Hope this helps.

Skipper
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=crappiecrazy
    I have been mostly a "troller" or as canepole would say "floating trotline". [/QUOTE]

whoaaaa rough crowd you're hanging out with there :D

just kiddin, he's great guy and a friend of mine even if he only fishes with one pole :D
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Default jigging

Glad to share my methods. May not be worth a nickle in your area. Maine is a two rod,one lure per rod state. I only use one rod. I rely on my fishfinder to determine the depth of the fish. I fish 1 to 3ft. above the fish. Depends on how active they are. Presentation is a 1/16oz. tube jig pumped full of crappie nibbles with the bait pump. 1/32oz. bull shot a foot above the jig & another a foot above that. pointed end down on the bottom one, up on the top one. This puts a slight bend in the tip of my 10ft Sam Heaton and I can see a lift bite. I either drift or work a point or area with the trolling motor slowly. Sometimes I lift 3ft & drop it or other times just a little shake. Depends how active the fish are. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

When working a jig though the water column a loop knot will enable a jig to dance more naturally without the line impeding it's action.
    All line will create a certain amount of resistance if secured to the eyelet.therefor to get more action from your lure a loop knot works great.

It's actually part of a system. The bigger picture
    is that I'll use a flasher to read the whole water column.
    The sonar will read a fish as it swims into the sonar cone.
    I'll lower or raise my offering to where it is coming in at.Once it is dead center of the cone or directly below me I'll lift my bait trying to trigger it's strike sense.
    Depending on the mood of the fish it will raise up 1-5 foot after my bait and swallow it.
    I have a spring bobber mounted to my rod which will read even the lightest hit and then I'm rearing.

The flasher will not only show me the depth ,but are there fish under me and how aggressive they are.
    For instance on Fri. with the barometer over 30 they were very negative. They came through at the bottom and would only lift 2-3 feet before they would stop and go no higher.
    That's what I call the ceiling.Once I determined their ceiling I would slowly lift them to the ceiling and wait for them to hit my jig.
    Sat. on the other hand was much different.
    The fish were stacked up to 6 feet from the bottom.
    They gave chase much faster and hit quicker.
    Checking the barometer I saw it was still high ,but it was dropping which triggered a better bite.

As a general rule I'll up size when they are aggressive and downsize when the mood is neutral to negative.

In my opinion this is a dealy tactic.
    When I 1st started to fish with my Vexilar I did not catch many fish,mostly because I just diddled my offering right above the fish.
    I never triggered the strike sense that the fish have.

Until I figured out that they react alot like cats and that I had to pull it away from them
    before they gave chase .I did not catch much unless the fish were very aggresive.
    So put some distance between your bait and the fish.You'll start to see a pattern develope.
    I still catch myself fishing the fish the same way every once in awhile.
    Remember the mood can change from day to day ,so figure out the ceiling 1st ,then draw them up to the ceiling and be ready for the hit.
    Sometimes you'll see that "gentleman factor"
    Imagine 2 slabs side by side and 1 says"you take it"& the other says"no, I had the last one you take this 1"
    If you pull it away far enough 1 of them will say fine I'll take it before it gets away or neither of us will get that food.

Oh, 1 more thing.The fish that come through higher are usually the ones looking to feed.
    So if there's a few fish that come into your sonar ,work the top fish 1st

Finding the ceiling is so important for working the water column.
    Getting that fish to strike is the trick.
    Working a bait above the fish by drawing your bait away will trigger the strike if it's got an inclination of feeding.
    The closer to the ceiling you'll get the more the fish thinks it's got to strike.
    The further from the ceiling you are the more time the fish thinks it has.
    You'll see them eye balling your bait without making it's move.

I hear guy's saying that all of the time.They eyeball it ,but will not hit.
    Draw it away and get smaller and you'll see your action pick up.
    I guarentee it!

Post Thanks / Like

Everything he said....And spit tabaccie on yer hook.
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=crappiekeith]When working a jig though the water column a loop knot will enable a jig to dance more naturally without the line impeding it's action.
    All line will create a certain amount of resistance if secured to the eyelet.therefor to get more action from your lure a loop knot works great.

It's actually part of a system. The bigger picture
    is that I'll use a flasher to read the whole water column.
    The sonar will read a fish as it swims into the sonar cone.
    I'll lower or raise my offering to where it is coming in at.Once it is dead center of the cone or directly below me I'll lift my bait trying to trigger it's strike sense.

Great tips Keith. I agree with you.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few Midwest Crappie shows on www.myoutdoortv.com about verticle jigging different types of cover and different times of year. One is with Chatt Martin, one with Richard Williams, and one with Rick Solomon. Hope one can help!
    Thanks,
    Russ
    www.midwestcrappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

It's all a learning experience, Drop it down there, jig it, wiggle it, tap it, shake it, or bounce it. Once you learn where they are in the water column, 1/2 the battle is done. Now all you have to do if find what kind of presentation they are looking for, finicky or aggressive.

Good Luck.
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman
    NAFC Life Member & field tester
    Take a child fishing today, for smiles that last a lifetime.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking I ain't no stealth fisherman.

I drive up and pitch out a marker (sometimes). Sometimes I just slow boat around and jig the structure slowly (pick up and set it down , repeat). This is my technique, but you gotta talk to the fish. You know what I mean here! Talking is most important. It works.

Come on fish, I dare you!

Try this technique. Guaranteed :D
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"