Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Popeye Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Popeye Jigs

I'm new here so please bear with me. I've heard a lot about Popeye jigs, so I bought some. How should I fish them? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

what are popeye jigs? i've never heard of them.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation "popeye" or "pop eye" jigs .....

are made & sold by several different vendors. Locally (KY), we have two that make different products, sold under similar names. The "Pop-eye" jighead by Cabin Creek Bait Co, is a small ball shaped jighead with painted eyes and no "retainer collar".... see here : http://www.cabincreekco.com/new99a.html

The "Popeye" jig, that I'm most familiar with, is a hand made jig called a "Popeye Special". It's a small jighead, like the Cabin Creek jighead, but with feathers tied on. They are made by Jack Ewen of Stanton Ky (ph# 606-663-4347) and sold in most all tackle shops around here. They don't come in "weights" (1/32oz, 1/16oz) ... but in "sizes" (No. 1, No. 2).

Locally they are used for many different method set-ups and fish species:
    "float-n-fly" ... Ky Spotted Bass & Smallmouth, Crappie
    "plunker & fly" ... Largemouth, White Bass, Hybrid Stripers (jump fishing)
    "tipped with a wax worm" ... Bluegill & Channel Catfish (spawning in cliff crevices)
    and, of course, most any other way a jig can be used (cast, trolled, jigged, etc).

Technically - a "popeye" jig is supposed to be a jighead with "raised" eyes (see this mold link: http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/..._jig_molds.htm ) ...... but, in reality, the name can apply to most any small jighead with big, painted eyes....whether the eyes are raised or not. ..................cp

algonzo Guest

These are better referenced as "Pop-eye" Jigs... but of course it sounds like Popeye jigs.

It's refered to as the Pop-eye for the large head and large painted eye.

Use your search engine and look for Pop-eye jigs... and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Pretty much a ball head jig with a large painted eye.

www.cabincreenco.com makes some nices ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by algonzo; 03-10-2005 at 05:53 PM.