Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat winterization questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat winterization questions

Can anyone provide a list of winterization items that they go thru? Also, I have a mercury outboard, what kind of oil do you put in the lower unit? Do you guys fog your motors? what kind of oil do you put in the tilt/trim motor, ATF? thanks in advance!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winterizing your boat

deleted
    Last edited by pescatore; 12-14-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just had my boat done by a marine tech. They catch the gear oil, lube the steering cables, fog the engine, lube the trim tabs & lube the bearings on the trailer. Plus put feul stablizer in the gas tank. I have no idea what kind of oils & lubes. My motor is a Yamaha 150.

Post Thanks / Like

If your boat isn't going to sit for more than a couple months, like mine, I'd just make sure there is fresh lube in the lower unit and stabilizer in the fuel and run through the engine. I'll either top off the fuel tank or completely empty it. I have a 4 stroke so I never fog.

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

mine don't sit long enough to winterize
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

My boat is winterized by using it every weekend thru the winter.
    The fish were bitting yesterday, The fish will bite tomorrow,,, today I must buy my fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Local boat shop

Quote Originally Posted by lhumphre
    Can anyone provide a list of winterization items that they go thru? Also, I have a mercury outboard, what kind of oil do you put in the lower unit? Do you guys fog your motors? what kind of oil do you put in the tilt/trim motor, ATF? thanks in advance!!
    I bought my boat from a local Ma and Pas boat shop. Every week I would stop by and shoot the poo with the technicians, got small things done there like installing my fishfinder and changing the plugs. When i showed up it was more like I was there to see them instead of getting something done to my boat. When i thought I needed to get my boat winterised the techs told me to bring it in an they would practically do it for free since they would be teaching me how to do it. I ended up moving to Ft Rucker Alabama and didnt need it winterised but the offer was still there. Stop buy your local boat shop I'm sure you can find someone there that would be willing to tell you the ins and outs.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine sits up a couple of weeks at a time, a month at the longest. I haven't had any trouble in the last ten years. I do try to keep the gas tank full because of condensation, and because I almost cry if I have to fill it up from empty.

Post Thanks / Like

For sure use Sta-Bil (gas treatment) in your last tank of fuel and run thru motor. No need to drain carb. In fact, I try to keep carb "wet" all the time by pumping primer bulb from time to time during (lake) ice up periods. Keep outboard in normal operating position, don't tilt up, this keeps carbs/floats in normal position. Also use the stabilizer in mowers, chain saw, weed eaters, etc. You will have a lot less head aches come spring.
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

Put rods and tackle in it along with snacks, plenty of gas. Come south enjoy great yearround fishing and beautiful sunshine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast