Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Rods vs Short Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Question Long Rods vs Short Rods

I'm getting mixed opinions on this subject, so I wanted to see what you guys think about it. I currently use a 5' ultralight rod for casting jigs (I mostly use jigs to cast across the front of 3 or 4 docks and work the jig back), but I've been considering trying an 8' or 9' one because a couple of my friends say you can get more distance out of them. For casting light jigs, is a short rod or long rod better?

I'm comfortable with pretty much anything up to 9' already (I'm a recovering catfish addict that found a new addiction :D ). I've got my eye on the 9' WM universal crappie rod, but I don't want to buy one that short if it won't cast a jig well (I prefer 12' or 14' for spider rigging, so a 9' one would just gather dust in the garage).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of things come into play in getting more distance in a cast. The length of the rod, the size of the guides, the size of the reel, the size of the line, the action of the rod and most important is how you cast. I prefer a 6' rod with 4lb test on a Shimano 2500 size reel. The rod is rated for 2-6 lb line. I learned a long time ago to stop using my whole arm to cast and just use my wrist. (I still forget sometimes) You can get more distance and better accuracy once you get into the habit.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Bass pro microlite in a 7' 6" is a great rod for casting light jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to whip action of a 9' rod when I cast.
    But I like a to jig and fish the shallows in the spring and like to be as far from the fish as possible.
    Just my two cents.
    Oh and the type of reel and guides do make a difference. I use a shimano reel cant remember which model since they are at the lake house but is is a spinning type, might be the 2500 but not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the M/L berkley lightin rod 6'6"
    Likes Idunno LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

8' -9' rod is my preferred for casting and dragging jigs. Of course you will get more distance with lighter line.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Fishin Ky ....

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Ky
    I'm getting mixed opinions on this subject, so I wanted to see what you guys think about it. I currently use a 5' ultralight rod for casting jigs (I mostly use jigs to cast across the front of 3 or 4 docks and work the jig back), but I've been considering trying an 8' or 9' one because a couple of my friends say you can get more distance out of them. For casting light jigs, is a short rod or long rod better?
    I'm comfortable with pretty much anything up to 9' already (I'm a recovering catfish addict that found a new addiction :D ). I've got my eye on the 9' WM universal crappie rod, but I don't want to buy one that short if it won't cast a jig well (I prefer 12' or 14' for spider rigging, so a 9' one would just gather dust in the garage).
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The longest rod I use to "cast" with ... is 8ft long. The shortest I use is 5ft long. I haven't really seen all that much difference in "distance" ... using the same weight jig and line size on either rod length (or the other "tween" lengths that I use). I don't cast for distance, so much, as I'm usually casting at a particular target. That target may be a spot in the water, over top of a submerged piece of cover, or it may be a actual piece of cover that's visable above the surface. If I can't reach where I want to ... I move the boat closer :p
    The others are also correct - in their statements that reel size has a lot to do with casting distance. Long spool or wide spool reels will cast farther than UL's (small spool reels) ... on whatever length rod you use (well, up to a point, anyway .... I don't consider any rod over 9ft long as a "casting" rod, unless you're FNF fishing).
    Limp line will also factor into casting distance. A couple of sprays of Real Magic on your reel's line, before starting your day of casting, will help.

I do have a question though ..... what's the reason you feel the need for the extra distance ?? Ain't many of the local lakes that I fish, that are clear enough to worry about getting closer to the target. Remember - the greater the distance you have to cover, the greater the margin of error on where the jig might end up Unless I'm just fancasting over a open section of water, I'm more inclined to go for accuracy over distance. And, just for the record, I cast about 90-95% of the time ... and use a 7ft Sam Heaton Sig Series rod for most of my casting. My 5ft'r is mainly used for dock shooting, and my 8ft rods are backups and/or all purpose use (FnF - heavier jigs - tightline - trolling - drifting - etc).
    IMHO ... a 7ft rod is a good all around casting rod length, if it's outfitted with the proper reel.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bunch of rods from 4.5' to 14' -- haven't used the short ones in a LONG time. For shore fishing, I use the 12 to 14 footers. For boat fishing, I use 6.5 - 9 footers.

Bass Pro's 8.5' float n' fly rod is a good one. Also, check out light steelhead rods (don't laugh.) Cabela's Fish Eagle II is a good one for tossing jigs. I've used the "medium" version of this rod for years for trout. I can positively LAUNCH a small spinner or plug with it.

An added bonus of the longer rod is the fish feel bigger!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

With a 10 foot Richard Williams pole, 4 lb Stren line, and a 1 oz bank weight, I can cast all the line off a Diawa DX40 reel.:D
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    I don't consider any rod over 9ft long as a "casting" rod, unless you're FNF fishing).
    Many surf and fly fishermen would disagree with you!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast