Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spincasting reel problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default spincasting reel problems

Most of the guys in my area that I know use the same pole and love them. It is a 7' allstar PLR or shrimp special. These are used for casting a float and jig on the flats. BUT........not a one of us has found a spincast reel that is worth a crap. ALL of them twist and finally break line. I do not know if it is the number of cast we make a trip or what but it STINKS. We have tried johnson century, zebco omega, garcia,........etc. Each one of these reels makes line kink and twist and hard to reel after a couple trips. I mean almost impossible to reel in with any pressure (like a crappie )on the line. We have tried line magic and spooling up every which way. HELP......any ideas??????

thanks
    longshot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by longshot
    Most of the guys in my area that I know use the same pole and love them. It is a 7' allstar PLR or shrimp special. These are used for casting a float and jig on the flats. BUT........not a one of us has found a spincast reel that is worth a crap. ALL of them twist and finally break line. I do not know if it is the number of cast we make a trip or what but it STINKS. We have tried johnson century, zebco omega, garcia,........etc. Each one of these reels makes line kink and twist and hard to reel after a couple trips. I mean almost impossible to reel in with any pressure (like a crappie )on the line. We have tried line magic and spooling up every which way. HELP......any ideas??????

thanks
    longshot

Hey longshot......this is just a guess, but it has to be one of three things. Either it's spooled wrong, or you are cranking the reel while the drag is slipping, or you are using a lure (like a spoon or inline spinner) that spins and twists your line up. While a fish is pulling drag don't turn the crank, reel when he stops. Set your drag a bit tighter, it could be too loose. If you suspect your lure is twisting the line, use a swivel. As far as spooling, the directions are on or in the package. If you use a float and jig, chances are you're reeling a fish while the drag is slipping. Pull your drag at the reel until it slips, when you hear that clicking sound while fighting a fish, don't turn the handle. All spinning reels have this problem, spincast or spinning reels, and that's why they install the clicker on the drag. Hope this helps to locate your problem.....and good fishing!!

Post Thanks / Like

If I've been using my spinning reel a lot, on the way back to the launch I will remove any tackle, open the bail and start feeding the line out the back of the boat while traveling at moderate speed. You may have to hand feed the line out for a short distance, but eventually the resistance of the water on the line will start pulling the line off the reel. Let the line 'troll' behind the boat for a distance as it straightens itself out and unwinds. Then just put some moderate pressure on your line with your fingers while you reel it back in. It really helps and you should notice a big improvement next time you use the reel.
    Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done the line out behind the boat thing. It helps, but you should not have to do this every trip.

labill
    All of us are having the same problems with the spincast reels. I am not doing any of the 3 things that you thought it might be, but thank you for the ideas. That is why I am at a loss........we are not doing anything we can think of that would cause these kind of problems. It is not just me it is about 5 different guys.

thanks
    citori

Post Thanks / Like

Default Zebco 33 Line Cuts

Longshot - I keep half my long rods and a couple of short ones rigged up with Zebco 33's since a couple of my fishing partners do not use spinning reels. I usually replace the 10# line with 6#. I too have noticed that the spincast reels will cut the line -- they'll make a cast and the lure will just keep on going. No answers, but when I check it looks like there may be a little slack in the line and it may be loose on the spool and is getting caught or pinched by the lip of the spool. I was thinking about selling all these reels to replace them with some others but sounds like a universal problem. Wonder if Zebco has a solution ?? Would like to hear how you resolve it as this happens just about every trip. JimA

Post Thanks / Like

jim

I hear ya.......you would think that a $50 spincast reel like the omega would be better.... NOPE

We get the exact same type of problem if it is a $10 reel or a $50 one. We have tried different line types and test....THEY ALL DO IT.

My question is why and how do you fix it

We all just like the 7' allstar rods so well we put up with it.

frustrated
    citori

Post Thanks / Like

Longshot - You didn't mention what line you are using. Other guys using same line?

Scanoe Guest

Longshot- I have had a lot of problems with Berkley xl. I have switched to Stren and don't plan on going back. I was wandering though you all seem to have one thing in common...the rods. I am wandering about the size and amount of guides that are on the rods. Do you have the problems with other rods?

My two cents,

Post Thanks / Like

That what I was thinking Scanoe

Post Thanks / Like

I quit using Berkley line and use Stren for the same reason. I fish all spinning reels and have had very few problems. The only problems i have had with line twist usually resulted from lures that spin because they are not rigged right. Keep looking, you'll figure it out eventually. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast