Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Working the water column,vertically speaking

Post Thanks / Like

Default Working the water column,vertically speaking

When working a jig though the water column a loop knot will enable a jig to dance more naturally without the line impeding it's action.
    All line will create a certain amount of resistance if secured to the eyelet.therefor to get more action from your lure a loop knot works great.

It's actually part of a system. The bigger picture
    is that I'll use a flasher to read the whole water column.
    The sonar will read a fish as it swims into the sonar cone.
    I'll lower or raise my offering to where it is coming in at.Once it is dead center of the cone or directly below me I'll lift my bait trying to trigger it's strike sense.
    Depending on the mood of the fish it will raise up 1-5 foot after my bait and swallow it.
    I have a spring bobber mounted to my rod which will read even the lightest hit and then I'm rearing.

The flasher will not only show me the depth ,but are there fish under me and how aggressive they are.
    For instance on Fri. with the barometer over 30 they were very negative. They came through at the bottom and would only lift 2-3 feet before they would stop and go no higher.
    That's what I call the ceiling.Once I determined their ceiling I would slowly lift them to the ceiling and wait for them to hit my jig.
    Sat. on the other hand was much different.
    The fish were stacked up to 6 feet from the bottom.
    They gave chase much faster and hit quicker.
    Checking the barometer I saw it was still high ,but it was dropping which triggered a better bite.

As a general rule I'll up size when they are aggressive and downsize when the mood is neutral to negative.

I hope this helps.

CK

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks, thats some good info.