Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

View Poll Results: High Deck or low deck boat?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do you like a low deck crappie boat?

36 56.25%
  • Do you like a High deck crappie boat?

20 31.25%
  • Or does not matter?

8 12.50%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boat Questions?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Boat Questions?

Have a Question for everyone.
    Do you like a low deck model boat? Or a standard High deck boat for crappie fishing?
    I spider Rig, Single pole fish standing timber, And Ky rig fish. Or in other words about anything will work I will fish that way. Even enjoy fishing 10ft rods and a float.
    Looking at the War-Eagle 861 Predator with a 115 Hp E-Tec. But also any other boat 17ft to 18ft I will sure look at. But must have a good ride. That is why I may be selling both my War-Eagles is the ride.
    So let me know and why you like a low deck or high deck for crappie fishing?
    Thanks
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

high decks are easier to get a fish in boat, you dont have to stand up as high
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I like a high deck because that's all I've ever had. Just seems like I have more of an advantage being a little higher at least in my mind. Seems easier for me to reach out and place that jig in just the right spot next to that stump if I'm up higher. Good luck in your search.

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

Go Low!!!! It keeps you out of some wind and is safer in cold water fishing.

Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you wanna smoother ride, get away from those Big John boats (war eagle). Go with a deep V or at least a mod V with a high degree of dead rise. You oughta look at the Lund deep V or the Targa deep V. I know these are both smooth rides. Just my opinion, but it your back.

Todd's boat has a similar hull design that the War Eagle 861 has. It is rough riding. My Tracker is a lot smoother ride than Todd's Triton. He got lot more room than I do though. I don't mind riding with him.:D

Worse comes to worser, get a plastic boat.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

as you get older the knees say go low as the step up to the taller casting deck is a major deal,,also if you are accident prone(i am)you dont fall out as easy or kick things overboard(aka, rods with good reels attached),,also makes the fishing day go lots smoother when you are dry,,,jmo----fuzzy
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys..
    Tom the War-Eagle 861 has a 23 degree hull. Not sure what Todd's has. But that boat has about the same hull as a Lund. I sure like the lunds and other Deep V boat's. but Jeff White was talking about his not even able to pull up to the bank and get out without being in the water. Then the depth of getting in. That is one more problem.
    But we are still planning on going to IN and looking at a 18ft Lund toward the end of the month. If the dealer still has it.
    I am with you on getting away from the Big John boats. I love mine Plenty of room. but not a good ride and my back I am going to have to go with the ride or just stay at home.
    Also trying to go with something that will allow me to fish Ky lake, Pickwick lake, Reelfoot, Sardis. so its going to be hard to find what I am looking for. But sure hope I can find it.
    Thanks again guys.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lund Alaskan. Nice low decks, safe, wide,rides great, landing fish is easier than in high deck boat. I have also owned several bass trackers.With high bass decks. I used to fix the transoms, use em for a year and then sell em. That's how I got my Lund. I also fish a lot at night for crappie, catfish, stripers, etc. The low deck is much, much safer in low light conditions and easier on the legs, As for your different techniques, I use them too and it is again, easier and safer in a low deck boat..good Luck and Good fishing

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed
    Thanks guys..
    Tom the War-Eagle 861 has a 23 degree hull. Not sure what Todd's has. But that boat has about the same hull as a Lund. I sure like the lunds and other Deep V boat's. but Jeff White was talking about his not even able to pull up to the bank and get out without being in the water. Then the depth of getting in. That is one more problem.
    But we are still planning on going to IN and looking at a 18ft Lund toward the end of the month. If the dealer still has it.
    I am with you on getting away from the Big John boats. I love mine Plenty of room. but not a good ride and my back I am going to have to go with the ride or just stay at home.
    Also trying to go with something that will allow me to fish Ky lake, Pickwick lake, Reelfoot, Sardis. so its going to be hard to find what I am looking for. But sure hope I can find it.
    Thanks again guys.
    Pete

23 degree hull helps some, but it has a fast taper and very flat hull compared to mod v or a deep v. It still will ride rough.

Jeff don't have a boat, he has a landing craft.:D
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I like my low deck. It is easier to walk from front to back (live well), and when you swing a fish in, he can't flop back out. It's not a big deal, but I prefer the low deck.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast