Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hi im new with a question

Post Thanks / Like

Default hi im new with a question

hello my name is Paul and i am new to the world of crappie fishing (catching them on purpose anyway) and i was wondering is it still possible to catch crappie on this date in northwest indiana? i know they are ice fished, but is it realistic to go fishing tomorrow or a day or so from now? i got fishing fever and i need to know if it would be practical. thank you all and i plan on being an active memeber in this forum.

PS if it would be okay to fish tomorrow, what sort of bait or lure should i use? i have all sorts of things so just say what i should use and i probably have it! thanks again,

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

one more estion, what size hook is good to use for crappie? big? small? if this is located anywhere on the site please direct me to it, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Paul. We're glad you're here. Make yourself at home. As far as your question is concerned, I would say go for it. I'm down in MS so I think that they can be caught 12 months out of the year. I don't know what your water temp. is but I would say you might find them deep hanging tight to structure. I'd use a 1/32 oz. jig and present it to them real slow. I'm not sure about your water clarity but I think a red/chart tube or hair jig will work almost anywhere. I wish I could be more help to you. Good luck and again welcome to the best crappie site in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

hey thanks for the reply, water clarity up here is really not good at all, i hear stories about everyone saying that they can see the fish and that sorta thing, but i cannot even close to see maybe 3 inches down. how do i know how big the jig is? i know they come in sizes but is that a big size or a small one? i have all sizes, just dont know how to classify them. thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

From Toledo Bend Texas!

Wish I could help, but fishing up there is not something I know much about.

Good Luck and I am sure some more people here will help.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Paul... I would recommend spending some time in a local bait shop in your area. They can show you the different sizes of jigs. 1/32 is a good size to start.. You might also check out the State Fishing forums located on the main page of this forum. There may be someone in your area that has postings on there that will help you get started.. Hope this helps, good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

+ you can go to the tip's part of c.com main page,,, lots of good reading and info there,,good luck
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

oh man you guys are so lucky to live in texas, ive always wanted to live there! i will try to find a website with actual size jigs to help me out for wednesdays trip. so cold weather = small jig? just guessing.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just remember, fishes are like us. They gonna eat all year long. You just gotta find what motel the are hanging out at and what's on the menu they like.

Good luck,

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstlovtofish
    Welcome aboard Paul. We're glad you're here. Make yourself at home. As far as your question is concerned, I would say go for it. I'm down in MS so I think that they can be caught 12 months out of the year. I don't know what your water temp. is but I would say you might find them deep hanging tight to structure. I'd use a 1/32 oz. jig and present it to them real slow. I'm not sure about your water clarity but I think a red/chart tube or hair jig will work almost anywhere. I wish I could be more help to you. Good luck and again welcome to the best crappie site in the world.
    Did somebody say hair jig???:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast