Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Brookville Lake Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Question Brookville Lake Crappie

Anyone fishing Brookville Lake for Crappie? When is a good time to go and what creeks have been successful for you?
    Thanks,
    Bassky :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassky
    Anyone fishing Brookville Lake for Crappie? When is a good time to go and what creeks have been successful for you?
    Thanks,
    Bassky :p

Has been really slow the last few times I've been out. Acouple warm days and they should begin to prespawn stage on deeper structure in Templeton & Wolf Creeks.
    Spawn is usually going strong around April 20th. Lots of luck

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi JigMan

Quote Originally Posted by JigMan2
    Has been really slow the last few times I've been out. Acouple warm days and they should begin to prespawn stage on deeper structure in Templeton & Wolf Creeks.
    Spawn is usually going strong around April 20th. Lots of luck
    Hi there JigMan. Hey , what are some of your favorite jigs to use when crappie are at prespawn on deep water structure? Im about ready to try my luck here on the salamonie on some deep water points and the only thing I had in mind was tight lining some 1/16 oz. tubes in various colors maybe in tandem . The water is only about 6 ft above winter pool and still being lowered from the flood stage that it was a few weeks ago. The coves and all the prime spawning structure are well above the water level right now so Im thinking of jigging around some of the deep points at the mouths of these coves maybe 15'-30' deep. Does this sound like a good idea or would you try something different? I used to read alot of your posts on Brookeville and I found what you posted very helpful , your opinion is very respected by me. Thanks.......treepotato

gator36 Guest

I hear Brookkvillve is nice but unable to get there to do any fishing. I'm mainly a Salamonie fisher and trying to get an update on the water. I should take a trip up there myself and check things out but have not made it. I was on the internet and found this site. I thought it would pretty cool to share info. and maybe get an update on the water at Salamonie.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome gator!

Quote Originally Posted by gator36
    I hear Brookkvillve is nice but unable to get there to do any fishing. I'm mainly a Salamonie fisher and trying to get an update on the water. I should take a trip up there myself and check things out but have not made it. I was on the internet and found this site. I thought it would pretty cool to share info. and maybe get an update on the water at Salamonie.
    Welcome aboard gator. It's great to see new people from indiana getting intrested in this site. It is a great site full of wonderful people and the information and knowledge of the people who post here is awesome!! I live only 15 minutes from the salamonie (just north of marion) and consider her my home lake. I see you are from upland, I fish the salamonie occaisionally with a friend that lives there. I just got in from from the salamonie a few minutes ago but right now Im just taking pictures and marking structure on my gps. I didn't see anyone fishing this afternoon but there were a couple dozen people fishing the bank at pirates cove sunday afternoon. I did see a couple small crappie landed but nothin to write home about. I noticed tonight that the water from dora and mt hope to the dam was a lot clearer than anything the other direction and there is alot of gravel and sand that will warm the shoreline up quickly as soon as we get a couple of those warm sunny days in the upper 60's and 70's. It is typical this time of year when we have days like that to have a real bonanza on and off as the temp's go up and down. The water level is stable at 7 ft above winter pool and dora ramp looks like you could launch a boat however mt hope looks bad. There is so much sediment washed up on it. I think the DNR will need to do some work there before it will be ready. Do you fish the salamonie on a regular basis? If so how has she treated you? I would love to hear some of your thoughts about this fine reservoir. Hope this helps..............treepotato

gator36 Guest

I fish the salamonie just about eveytime I go out. I have gone to Summit Lake near New Castle a few times but the drive is too far. Also fished Carr Lake, up by Warsaw and Long Lake for bluegill near Laketon. I caught my biggest black crappie (13") on Carr Lake near the small boat docks. I have been fishing for crappie for about 4 years now and love the challange. I'm still a rookie but learning a lot through the years. I have stayed on salamonie for the last couple of years. I myself have noticed the average size in the boat have grown a couple of inches. I have also noticed the amount of shad in the past couple of years have increased, which is a great sign. I mainly Jig, when the fishing gets tuff I will spider rig. Actually last year I did no spider rigging, the water temp didn't seem to get above the mid 70's in spots low 80's. Did you happen to notice if any new trees had fallen with the ice storm. I really need to get up there and check things out. I have yet to land a monster slab. The biggest one was from Carr Lake. I know I'll get one I just have to find them. Maybe you can answere this question. I caught a mess of summer crappie. I fillet, clean and fill a ziploc bag with water and freeze. I do this with all fish I clean anytime of year. I'll get to the point; the meat was mush. This is not the first time this has happened with crappie I catch in the summer. Last batch was like eating mash potatoes. I have heard that crappie caught in the summer, when the water is really warm to put them back or if big enough put it on the wall. Have you heard of this happening with the meat. Do I need to do anything different with what I catch in the summer. I was sickened about all those slabs I couldn't eat. Anyway, I think salamonie is great, there is plenty of structure and fish to catch. The only thing I hate about it is the non-fishing boats, they tear it up. I have a 1983 Skeeter bass boat just under 16' long with a 52" or so beam. It is not the most stable thing when the water is rough but I deal with it. Thanks for the update on salsmonie.....gator. I think I messed up and sent this message instead of replying to your message. Was I suppose to hit the reply on your message?
    Last edited by gator36; 03-16-2005 at 05:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by treepotato
    Hi there JigMan. Hey , what are some of your favorite jigs to use when crappie are at prespawn on deep water structure? Im about ready to try my luck here on the salamonie on some deep water points and the only thing I had in mind was tight lining some 1/16 oz. tubes in various colors maybe in tandem . The water is only about 6 ft above winter pool and still being lowered from the flood stage that it was a few weeks ago. The coves and all the prime spawning structure are well above the water level right now so Im thinking of jigging around some of the deep points at the mouths of these coves maybe 15'-30' deep. Does this sound like a good idea or would you try something different? I used to read alot of your posts on Brookeville and I found what you posted very helpful , your opinion is very respected by me. Thanks.......treepotato
    Deep, cold water means slow way down. About as slow as you can turn the handle on your reel. They usually don't want much action to it at all. There are several colors that I use this time of year. Blue/white, red/white, green/char and blue/char. 1/16th oz jig on 4 to 6 lb test.
    The fish will probably be on or near the bottom. Drop your jig to the bottom and start up very slow. if you get up 3 or 4 feet off the bottom without a hit open your bail and let it sink again. most times I've found that they will hit it on the way down or as soon as you start back up on your second drop. I guess they can't stand to see it twice.
    As you enter a cove follow the deepest water in then look for the first wood structure off of that deep water. At Brookville I look for that wood in about 18 - 26 feet of water and I'll follow that until I find the fish. You can catch the small males shallower this time of year but from now until the spawn the big females will stay deeper. Lots of luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gator36
    I fish the salamonie just about eveytime I go out. I have gone to Summit Lake near New Castle a few times but the drive is too far. Also fished Carr Lake, up by Warsaw and Long Lake for bluegill near Laketon. I caught my biggest black crappie (13") on Carr Lake near the small boat docks. I have been fishing for crappie for about 4 years now and love the challange. I'm still a rookie but learning a lot through the years. I have stayed on salamonie for the last couple of years. I myself have noticed the average size in the boat have grown a couple of inches. I have also noticed the amount of shad in the past couple of years have increased, which is a great sign. I mainly Jig, when the fishing gets tuff I will spider rig. Actually last year I did no spider rigging, the water temp didn't seem to get above the mid 70's in spots low 80's. Did you happen to notice if any new trees had fallen with the ice storm. I really need to get up there and check things out. I have yet to land a monster slab. The biggest one was from Carr Lake. I know I'll get one I just have to find them. Maybe you can answere this question. I caught a mess of summer crappie. I fillet, clean and fill a ziploc bag with water and freeze. I do this with all fish I clean anytime of year. I'll get to the point; the meat was mush. This is not the first time this has happened with crappie I catch in the summer. Last batch was like eating mash potatoes. I have heard that crappie caught in the summer, when the water is really warm to put them back or if big enough put it on the wall. Have you heard of this happening with the meat. Do I need to do anything different with what I catch in the summer. I was sickened about all those slabs I couldn't eat. Anyway, I think salamonie is great, there is plenty of structure and fish to catch. The only thing I hate about it is the non-fishing boats, they tear it up. I have a 1983 Skeeter bass boat just under 16' long with a 52" or so beam. It is not the most stable thing when the water is rough but I deal with it. Thanks for the update on salsmonie.....gator. I think I messed up and sent this message instead of replying to your message. Was I suppose to hit the reply on your message?
    This takes a day but I've found it really helps. Thaw your fillets and put them in a bowl where you can completely cover them with water. then add about 2 tbs of vinegar and let them soak for about 3 hrs. They will turn pure white and it will rid them of any freezer taste. After that rinse them well and get them very dry and lay them out on a plate (2 or 3 layers is fine) then stick them in the fridge for the next day (24 hrs works good) covered with a paper towel. After 24 hrs the fillets will be very firm with no more mushy texture. Lots of luck!!

gator36 Guest

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip.......Gator36

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what the water temps are at Brookville, but I have good luck resevoir fishing when the water is in the 40s suspending a tubejig below a float. I use a very small float, and a 1/32 or 1/64 jighook. Wave action usually puts enough action on it to get bites, as they like a slow presentation in the cold water. I have found the best biting to be 4-5' below the surface, in water 10-14' deep. That is even when the fish are marking down by the bottom. Seems odd, but it has worked out that way too many times for it to be a fluke. In clear water I like red/white, in cloudy pink/white.