Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Serving suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Serving suggestions

Looking for everyone's favorite way to serve up their fillets.
    Trying to stay away from fried food, so looking for something that doesn't involve deep frying (or pan frying).
    Broiling?
    Grilled?

Post Thanks / Like

same here i was woundering some way besides deep frying i was looking in the grilled direction. so if antone has any good grillin tips ya gotta let me in on it....thanks
    :D CRACKER :D

Post Thanks / Like

I posted something about this awhile ago in one of the Carolina boards regarding a striper recipe. It works for crappies just as well. Catfish and trout too.
    Take a piece of foil and spread a thin layer of olive oil in the middle. Slice an onion (zuchini works good too) into 1/2 inch thick slices. Lay the slices on the foil in a shape and size similar to the fillet (or stack of fillets in the case of crappies). Lay the fish on top of the slices and cover with chopped garlic and chopped fresh basil (or parsly or rosemary or,,,). Add salt and cover with a layer of sliced tomatos (ya Gotta try this in the summer). Top with more basil, and chopped green onions. Drizzle olive oil over the whole thing and close the foil into a packet. Place over medium hot grill or in a 350 oven for 15 miin.

Use dill as the herb and replace the tomatos with lemon slices. Or use snowpeas and sliced fresh ginger with a sesame oil and soy sauce dressing. Also, you can just marinate the fish in Italian dressing (no NOT the non-fat kind) and cook em in the foil. Even people who say they don't like fish enjoy it this way.
    Last edited by kunes; 03-09-2005 at 03:51 PM.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default This one

I love the taste of this one and it came off the recipe section from this place. I have cooked this for several people and there is never any leftovers.

Ballenger's Crispy Dill Baked Crappie
    Cover bottom of greased baking dish with boneless crappie filets

Coat tops of filets with Miracle Whip Salad Dressing

Sprinkle dill weed over filets

Melt 4 Tbs. of butter or margarine in a medium sized bowl inside the microwave oven

Add 1/2 cup or more of crushed club crackers to butter and mix until moist but crumbly

Sprinkle cracker mixture over crappie filets

Bake @ 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes

Use broiler for last 2-3 minutes to brown tops of filets

The sweet taste of Miracle Whip and the flavor of Dill combined with butter makes these delicate crappie filets disappear F-A-S-T!
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Try these

1) Grilling: coat a grilling basket or foil with oil spray, place fillets on it and brush with Wishbone Robusto Italiano salad dressing. While you're at it, grill some zuke and tomato slices the same way

2) Baking: lightly coat a baking dish with olive oil, place fillets in bottom of pan and top each with paper thin slices of onion and lemon. Sprinkle with a little garlic powder and paprika. Dot with very small amounts of butter. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork
    (works great for any mild white fish: crappie, flounder, snapper, etc.)

3) Oven-fried: coat filets with olive oil, then dredge in finely ground cheese crackers (Jerry Blake adds chopped pecans) and place on a cooling rack over a foil lined pan. Bake at 350 for about a half hour or until fish flakes. Time may vary. (Also delicious with catfish)

4) Sauteed: Saute your fillets in a enamal skillet with a little olive oil. Carefully turn with spatula so they don't break up. Serve with a lemon-butter sauce or Hollandaise. Delish with fresh steamed asparagus and rice or baked potato.

Bon apetit! - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Get Steve Wunderle's book

Get Steve wunderle's book "Crappie Cookbook - From Lake to Table." Recipes for frying, baking and broiling, microwaving, soup, chowder, creole, picklling, grilling, and smoking. Also has recipes for baked beans, hush puppies, slaw, and crappie cocktail.
    Write to Steve Wunderle Outdoor Books
    86 Eight Mile Prairie Road
    Carterville, Illinois 62918
    I bought his book in 1989 - still probably sells for 7 or 8 bucks.

'
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Take Melted Butter-mix In Garlic Powder,lemon Juice,spices Of Your Choice.i Use A Glass Baking Pan-put Fillets In[make Sure To Brush On Above Mixture],cover Top With Foil.bake At 375* About 1/2 Hr[you Can Tell When Their Done By Looking].you Can Also Use This Same Way On The Grill-just Wrap A Coupla Fillets Coated In The Butter Mix,wrap In Foil,&grill.man Their Good This Way And It Helps Get Away From The French Fryer!!good Fishin To Ya!!!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a Southwest favorite...

Cover the bottom of a baking dish with towel dried fillet's.
    Lightly cover the fillet's with grated chedder cheese.
    Spoon over a light covering of your favorite tempature of salsa.
    Bake just until the fish STARTS to flake with a fork and remove from the oven. Let stand for 5 minutes (it will continue to bake during this time and end up perfect).

mmmmm good eatin.

Post Thanks / Like

Not really a meal but a pretty good appetizer or snack. When we start catching fresh fish in the spring we use up our frozen fillets this way.
    Poach the fillets for about 10 minutes.Season the water with lemon pepper,garlic salt, just about anything that sounds good to you. Chill the fillets. After chilling break them up into little cups and add cocktail sauce.Crappie cocktails.