PDA

View Full Version : Lake Greeson Spring Crappie Camp 2008

Jerry Blake
12-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Spring Crappie Camp at Kirby Landing Recreation area on Lake Greeson in South West Central Arkansas is set for April 11,12 and 13.

Everyone that is interested in crappie fishing and sharing information on techniques, tackle, electronics, gizmos and gadgets used in the sport is welcome to attend. There will be plenty of camping sites available and there is lodging available in the area. This will be a "family oriented" get-together so bring the kids.

Darryl and I will be working but we'll have time to take Crappie Campers out for short periods to see how we fish for crappie. There will be plenty of places in fellow Crappie Camper's boats so you don't necessarily need to bring a boat.

We'll have a Potluck Fish Fry Saturday evening. We'll ask everyone to bring a side dish, desert, drinks or disposable plates, cups and silverware. We'll also be looking for Crappie Campers willing to bring a fish fryer and fry up the fish we plan on catching. If everyone donates some of their catch we will have plenty of fish. We'll have a supply of crappie fillets on hand just in case the crappie decide not to join us. As we get closer we'll compile a list of what everyone is bringing so we'll have everything we need.

We'll have a Big Fish Contest on Saturday only with the weigh in at 5:00pm. We'll have BnM Jig Poles and Pflueger reels for First, Second and Third place winners.

Hope to see you there!

SkeeterJeff
12-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Awesome!! I think I'll come down a bit early. Planning on being there Dec. 27th. <G>

Seriously, Jill and I will start planning.

Jeff

Jerry Blake
12-14-2007, 11:44 PM
There won't be any shortage of places for folks to fish during Spring Crappie Camp. This week Darryl, Jim, Charlie and I added another Flat Mat to 13 of the shallow Crappie Condos we put in for Crappie Camp two years ago making them into Double Flat Mats:

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/doubleflatmat.JPG

And we've been building Bamboo Mega Mats

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/MegaMat4.JPG

and Bamboo Laydowns:

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/Laydownfront.jpg

In case anyone is interested in seeing how we build these I'm working on a page for my website with details and more pictures - http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/habitat.htm

We've built or added too nearly 50 shallow bamboo condos in the last two weeks and we're planning to do another 30 or so next week.

If you're wondering what bamboo looks like after it's been in the water a couple years here's a picture:

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/2yearoldbamboo.jpg

As you can see, all the small limbs that provide excellent cover for small crappie are still in place. And they're still flexible so a hook or jig usually just slides right off.

"If you build it, they WILL come"

grubby
12-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Those are great dates for me. I'll be there for sure probly all week. Looking forward to seeing all the good folks who show up you'll have a real good time. Jerry and Darryl put on a first rate operation and if the fish and weather cooperate that will be a bigger bonus.

texascrappiefisherman
12-15-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm ready for spring and Spring Crappie Camp. I'm bringing the kayak this year instead of dragging the boat. :cool:

I've learned a bunch of new tying tips and have started pouring soft plastics so hopefully Mike S and I can do some demos.

All you tiers start getting some jigs together and we'll swap at Crappie Camp. Bring some stuff and your vice also as we rally at night and tie jigs and pour soft plastics. Great time for us amateurs (?) to share ideas. Dont miss it!!! :cool: After camp we'll have each others adresses, etc. so we can swap anytime we want.

Hopefully my son (billbob) will be there too. :rolleyes:

Mike Simpson
12-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Sounds great to me!

I'll bring some goodies to tie with, and everything I need for pouring plastics too. I have been fine tuning my plastic bait creations, and had an opportunity to try out some of my hottest new baits and colors just today! (12-20-07)

I just might be on to something........ :cool: Out of sixty "votes of approval" I recieved today, here are the top five. :D

grubby
12-21-2007, 12:05 AM
looks good mike. see you at camp.

Jerry Blake
12-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey Jerry and Mike, good to hear y'all are making plans to get back to Crappie Camp. We'll plan on y'all doing some Mini Seminars again. Anyone else that has any crappie fishing products they want to show off are more than welcome.

Darryl and I will have all of BnM's jig poles in a few different lengths for folks to try out on the water - catching fish.

PINT2301
12-24-2007, 03:17 AM
where is this crappie camp and how do i take part in it?

Darryl Morris
12-24-2007, 09:05 AM
where is this crappie camp and how do i take part in it?

Crappie Camp is at Kirby Landing on Lake Greeson, Arkansas. Just show up and camp and have a good time. Here's a link to a page on my website about crappie camp - http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/CrappieCampMain.htm - plus there are lots of pictures of past crappie camps.

SkeeterJeff
12-26-2007, 11:54 PM
I couldn't wait until Spring. My brother and I are at Kirby tonight, and going to see if we have any luck "pre fishing" for SCC.

What's up with the weather tho? 15 miles east of here on US70, we saw snow on the ground! The walkways to the docks are ice covered. I think we brought the Indiana weather with us!!

Oh well, it will thaw and we will be on the water tomorrow, no matter what!!

Jeff

Greg Holt
12-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Good luck Jeff keep us posted!!!!!!!!!

SkeeterJeff
12-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Today's Catch:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s305/SkeeterJeff/07_Winter_Greeson/PC270003.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s305/SkeeterJeff/07_Winter_Greeson/PC270001.jpg

We had a great (but cool!!) day on the water with Darryl on Lake Greeson. We only fished about three hours, but WOW, what results. Thanks a bunch Darryl, Bill (my brother) and I really appreciate it!!

Jeff

grubby
12-27-2007, 08:12 PM
WTG Skeeter looks like ya'll had a good trip. Glad to see Darryl hasn't for got how to find fish lol.

L.A. stumpjumper
12-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Congrats Jeff on your catch, some nice crappie there.

Greg Holt
12-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Good looking crappie Jeff.

Jerry Blake
12-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Hey Jeff:

Good to see the crappie are still there. I'm in Midland, TX but will be stopping by Greeson on my way home this afternoon to get lined out for two trips tomorrow, two on Sunday and a full-day trip on Monday. It was nice to see my family over Christmas but I'm ready to get back on the water.

I'm bring some better weather with me - cool but sunny and dry.

SIMPLEMAN
12-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Way To Get In Them Jeff. Nice Looking Catch.

DRPEPPER
12-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Hey Jeff!!
Last fall camp you said you felt better about not catching fish since "those of us who knew what we were doing weren't either". Looks like you found out how we do it by getting into Jerry or Darryl's boat.
See you in April.
DP

Jerry Blake
01-11-2008, 07:45 PM
We spent some time today marking our Mega Mats so even folks without GPS units (and those that have them and haven't figured out how to use them) :) will have plenty of places (over 90) to fish during Spring Crappie Camp.

Since we built the Mega Mats the water has come up about 4-feet and it will likely come up another 3-feet before Crappie Camp. We put a bamboo pole with a pink ribbon right in the middle of each condo next to the the blocks so that when the Mega Mat is under water it will still be real easy to know where to drop your bait. The bamboo extends at least 10-feet out from the pole in four directions. The openings between the four heads are probably the best place to find the big ones.

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/MarkedMegaMat.JPG

Our Bamboo Laydowns should still be visible when the water comes up so they'll be easy to fish too.

fatboy
01-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Well Jerry, Big J here. So far I have three rednecks coming with me and I am working really hard on one particular one. I want to see Tom come out and bring some of his remote controlled toys with him. I know alot of people that have been to Crappie Camp have met Tom at one time or another and I know they would like to see him again. I ain't promising anything, but I do wish he would come to camp. I am not beyond kidnapping him, but I know with his Vietnam experience, I am afraid he would hurt me in a hurry. LOL FATBOY

sentrysam
01-11-2008, 10:12 PM
you got rednecks in attendance,thats rite up my alley,i;ll be rite at home ifn I can get the wife off the couch,sounds like fun ,Yall mind ifn I bring my brother and his english girlfriend ?Look forward to it ifn we can find the way there...ss

Jerry Blake
01-11-2008, 10:27 PM
you got rednecks in attendance,thats rite up my alley,i;ll be rite at home ifn I can get the wife off the couch,sounds like fun ,Yall mind ifn I bring my brother and his english girlfriend ?Look forward to it ifn we can find the way there...ss

Yep, plenty of Rednecks at Crappie Camp. Come join in the fun! We've had folks all the way from Georgia and a lot farther than that come to our Crappie Camps.

SkeeterJeff
01-11-2008, 10:45 PM
It's almost 700 miles one way for Jill and I and we had a BLAST at Fall Crappie Camp. We plan on being there for both Spring and Fall CC this year. C'mon down, you will have a blast!

Jeff

sentrysam
01-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Google says it's 715 miles,bout 12 hours but in my case it'll be at least 18 cause I like to eat and stop at rest stops bout every other hour.I'll grease them bearings and put a spare set in the truck,Heck ,I dont think nuthin about driveing 6 hours to Savanah to fish 2 days ,might as well..Oh,how much are the liscense gonna cost me ,I;m 100% disabled veteran if that makes a difference.,,,====ss

Jerry Blake
01-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Google says it's 715 miles,bout 12 hours but in my case it'll be at least 18 cause I like to eat and stop at rest stops bout every other hour.I'll grease them bearings and put a spare set in the truck,Heck ,I dont think nuthin about driveing 6 hours to Savanah to fish 2 days ,might as well..Oh,how much are the liscense gonna cost me ,I;m 100% disabled veteran if that makes a difference.,,,====ss

An out of state, three-day license is $11. You can check with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission about a discount for disabled veterans. I'm told active duty military do not need fishing licenses but I would verify that.

Here's a link with license information and phone numbers to call for more information - http://www.agfc.com/fishing/license-info-fishing.aspx.

Jerry Blake
01-14-2008, 09:24 AM
The crappie are really getting fat and should be in prime shape for Spring Crappie Camp. Here's our picture from last Saturday:

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/1-12-08.jpg

chardonsdad
01-19-2008, 06:09 PM
you can count me in.
like grubby, I will be there early to bug you and Darryl.
Will bring whatever I need to bring.

texascrappiefisherman
01-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Jerry,
I start a new job on 2/4. I'm praying that I'm still coming. :)

Billbob
01-25-2008, 10:16 AM
DAD on problem if they say no just go to camp when you get back just show up at work like befor if they say any thing just tell them you got lost or you cant remember at your AGE on problem!!

Mike Simpson
01-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Yea "DAD," If they don't believe you, just show 'em a picture of your boy Billbob. You might get your absence excused and get a few sympathy cards too! yuk yuk..... ;)
Billbob, you should have your goodies in a few days. :D
Tex, you should see 'em! I have to hide behind a tree just to put 'em on a jig head! :eek:

I'm counting the days..... Hope to see you all there!

texascrappiefisherman
01-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Yea "DAD," If they don't believe you, just show 'em a picture of your boy Billbob. You might get your absence excused and get a few sympathy cards too! yuk yuk..... ;)
Billbob, you should have your goodies in a few days. :D
Tex, you should see 'em! I have to hide behind a tree just to put 'em on a jig head! :eek:

I'm counting the days..... Hope to see you all there!

What did you send my son? Some new wheel bearings for his boat trailer that he drags all over the country and never launches??? LMAO :D

"Hide behind a tree just to put them on a jig head" I assume we're talking about soft plastics? I hope you made an extra mold for your old buddy. Huh, I can't hear you. :(

texascrappiefisherman
01-25-2008, 11:30 PM
DAD on problem if they say no just go to camp when you get back just show up at work like befor if they say any thing just tell them you got lost or you cant remember at your AGE on problem!!

:confused: I don't remember before. My age and all. :confused:

Mike Simpson
01-26-2008, 10:37 AM
What did you send my son? Some new wheel bearings for his boat trailer that he drags all over the country and never launches??? LMAO :D

"Hide behind a tree just to put them on a jig head" I assume we're talking about soft plastics? I hope you made an extra mold for your old buddy. Huh, I can't hear you. :(

No wheel bearings, but I just got off the phone with him and he did happen to mention that he is RETIRED, and therefore has nothing but time to drag his boat around the globe and play while we do the daily chores! :rolleyes:

Yes, we are talking about the soft plastics...:cool: You ought to see MY Electric Chicken! :D I don't know if my left thumb will ever heal up, looks like hamburger! :eek:
Extra mold? EXTRA? :confused: Buddy? :confused:
Oh, I'm going to enjoy this....:p
I guess you're gonna have to come to camp to find out. ;)

Jerry Blake
02-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Just follow on this link - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=&daddr=34.231816,-93.693938&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=15&sll=34.231887,-93.693895&sspn=0.01036,0.019312&ie=UTF8&z=15&om=0 and enter your coordinates or address and it will give you a map and turn-by-turn directions right to Crappie Camp.

Woohdog
02-04-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm anxious to see how y'all do today if you get out. Wish I was there instead of here at work! Looks like wind might factor in a little, but you can't beat the temperature. Big front coming through, too.

OHIO JIM
02-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Jerry I had a couple of questions about camp. First i am thinking about coming from OHIO it is 850 miles says google. First is their a motel close, and would their be a boat I could catch a ride in. I will be coming by myself. Just a little to far drag my boat.

JIM

Darryl Morris
02-05-2008, 01:42 AM
Jerry I had a couple of questions about camp. First i am thinking about coming from OHIO it is 850 miles says google. First is their a motel close, and would their be a boat I could catch a ride in. I will be coming by myself. Just a little to far drag my boat.

JIM

Hey Jim, you asked this of Jerry but I think I can help. Here is a list of motels (different prices and varying distances from the lake). If you're into it, you can bring a tent and share a campsite with another crappie camper. That would be the most economical way to go and you'd certainly have more fun hanging out with all the crappie campers. Bathroom and shower facilities at the campground are good. There will be plenty of room for you as a non-boater. Several have done it in the past and they had a great time. We have crappie camp at Kirby Landing Recreation Area. Daisy and Self Creek are only 3-4 miles away. Glenwood is about 8 miles. Hot Springs is about 35 miles. Murfreesboro is about 20 miles.

Country Inn - Hot Springs - http://www.countryinnlakeresort.com/
Swaha Lodge - Murfreesboro - http://www.swahacabins.com/
Self Creek Lodge - Daisy - http://www.selfcreek.com/
Riverwood Inn - Glenwood - http://www.riverwood-inn.com/
Caddo River Motel - Glenwood - 870-356-4117
Ouachita Mountain Inn - Glenwood - 870-356-3737

Jerry Blake
02-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Here's one more motel to add to the list:

Lakeside Inn, Daisy - (870) 398-5304 It's not fancy but should be reasonable and it's the closest one.

I'll be taking Crappie Campers out in my boat Friday afternoon and there will be plenty of room in other boats so don't worry about bringing a boat for sure. There will also be some places around the campground you can fish from the bank.

OHIO JIM
02-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks Darryl and Jerry. I just called lakeside and reserved a room. I have to use a cpap machine at night is the reason for the motel. Just afraid of the tent and rain. I know it will not rain this year.
I am looking forward to camp very much. I love to crappie fish, just not that good at it. I have read about your camp for two years now and just can not stand it any longer, have to try it. I went to the crappiekillers outing on Lake Hickory NC a few years ago and had a great time. You don't have to worry I will be hanging out at camp alot. Just want to learn all I can. I just wanted to get my name in early for a boat ride.
The dates are the 11 12 13 of April right? I will try to arrive late on the 9th so I can look around thr 10th. I will just wait and get my license when I get there. Any thing else I need? I mean besides fishing tackle.

JIM

Darryl Morris
02-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks Darryl and Jerry. I just called lakeside and reserved a room. I have to use a cpap machine at night is the reason for the motel. Just afraid of the tent and rain. I know it will not rain this year.
I am looking forward to camp very much. I love to crappie fish, just not that good at it. I have read about your camp for two years now and just can not stand it any longer, have to try it. I went to the crappiekillers outing on Lake Hickory NC a few years ago and had a great time. You don't have to worry I will be hanging out at camp alot. Just want to learn all I can. I just wanted to get my name in early for a boat ride.
The dates are the 11 12 13 of April right? I will try to arrive late on the 9th so I can look around thr 10th. I will just wait and get my license when I get there. Any thing else I need? I mean besides fishing tackle.

JIM

Yes, those are the date for the camp. There will be others who will come early and stay later. There are plenty of places to get your license here, plus there are links on my and Jerry's website where you can get them online and/or via telephone. I can't think of anything else you'll need. Just don't be bashful and make plenty of new friends. There will be plenty of room in other boats. Plus, Jerry and I both will be taking folks out when we're not working. If there is anything I can do to help make your trip a great one, just call.

Billbob
02-05-2008, 09:57 PM
i might need a boat ride???

texascrappiefisherman
02-05-2008, 11:25 PM
i might need a boat ride???

Son, we'll check with your ranger buddy and see if that's allowed. :eek:

Billbob
02-10-2008, 03:19 PM
at least you guys dont pick on me like the sippie board

Sockohlay
02-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Is there any charge for the camp ?? How about camping is there any camping sites close by??

Darryl Morris
02-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Is there any charge for the camp ?? How about camping is there any camping sites close by??

No, no charge for the camp. It's like a bunch of good friends getting together for deer camp, etc. There are plenty of campsites at Kirby Landing (84). It's a good idea if campers pair up with tenters to save on space and cost (two tents or a camper and tent per site). Don't be bashful and come and have a great time the a bunch of folks who love the same thing you do. You won't regret it.

CASTER MASTER
02-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Hey Folks I have recently joined, and I am going to do my best to make
crappie camp this spring, My Spouse is not sure she can make it because
of work

Don Lemley
Monticello, AR.

Darryl Morris
02-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Hey Folks I have recently joined, and I am going to do my best to make
crappie camp this spring, My Spouse is not sure she can make it because
of work

Don Lemley
Monticello, AR.

Looking forward to meeting you Don. You're in good company since your are from Monticello. We have several friends from the Monticello area who love to crappie fish and will be here for crappie camp. Watch out, they're good enough folk to make you think twice, lol, ain't that right Jerry (lastumpjumper) and Brian (hogfaninla). Notice I said "like to crappie fish", didn't say they catch any thing, LOL, especially Brian, LOL. Got to reteach him every year how to do it, lol.

Sockohlay
02-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks, I may be coming!!

Gentleben
02-15-2008, 01:45 AM
The Warden and I will also be there !!

Brad Merry
02-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Again I plan on coming this spring, but I have not made one yet. My father is bringing his motorhome and I'm bringing the boat. We would have room for a tent on our site if anyone needs a spot. He plans on getting there Thursday and I will be there Thursday evening. I will leave Saturday night and head back. I just hope we can finally make one of these things.

Gentleben
02-15-2008, 11:52 AM
This sounds alot like our Catfish Show and Rodeos we put on here in Texas they are a riot !! We invite people from our fishing site and take them out in our boats ,show them how we catch our fish and share stories and ideas.. Lots of fun food and fellowship, plus they are family oriented and alcohol-free events!! It sounds alot like what happens at this Crappie Camps so I am going to try my best to attend.. One of our members and sponsor FishHunter lives at Murfreesborro so maybe he'll hook up his boat and come join us !!
I am very excited about the upcoming event!!

CohuttaCrappie
02-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Hey Crappie.com gang. I haven't been very active on the website lately, I've been real busy with work and family. I am making plans to attend Crappie camp. I may be showing up solo and boatless but maybe some one can make room for me? I'm pumped and ready to catch some slabs!

DRPEPPER
02-18-2008, 08:09 AM
This sounds alot like our Catfish Show and Rodeos we put on here in Texas they are a riot !! We invite people from our fishing site and take them out in our boats ,show them how we catch our fish and share stories and ideas.. Lots of fun food and fellowship, plus they are family oriented and alcohol-free events!! It sounds alot like what happens at this Crappie Camps so I am going to try my best to attend.. One of our members and sponsor FishHunter lives at Murfreesborro so maybe he'll hook up his boat and come join us !!
I am very excited about the upcoming event!!

I live in Little Rock now. But, I spent some time in Crosby and my parents still live there. I noticed you are from Huffman. Looking forward to meeting you.
DP

Gentleben
02-18-2008, 08:56 AM
DrPepper ,we'll be looking for you!!:p

fishhunter775
02-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Hey Gentleben good to see you around here.I am planning on comming over to the camp and hoping someone can teach us how to catch a Crappie or two.It sounds like a real good time and learning experince.

Gentleben
02-19-2008, 09:54 AM
WOW good to see you too Tim!!:p

texascrappiefisherman
02-19-2008, 06:55 PM
At this point my schedule says "no Crappie Camp".
Maybe it will change before it gets here. :(

Gentleben
02-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Awh come on!! that's teh only reason i was going !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Billbob
02-19-2008, 09:49 PM
come on DAD what kind of family reunion woud it BE without DAD like told you just dont go to work. tell them you got lost they will beleve you at your age!!

hunter@heart
02-21-2008, 03:34 PM
I am really thinking about trying to make the trip to the crappie camp. I have never fished that area and I am really interested in seeing how some of you have your fishing boats setup. I should be getting my boat within 2 weeks. I can't wait. If I come I will probably be tent camping (can't pull my camper and boat at the same time). I am also interested in seeing some of those bamboo crappie structures.

Hope to make it down there.

texascrappiefisherman
02-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Awh come on!! that's teh only reason i was going !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

and billbob

come on DAD what kind of family reunion woud it BE without DAD like told you just dont go to work. tell them you got lost they will beleve you at your age!!

I'm still going to try but I can't commit at this point.
"At my age" I need this job. :eek:

redneckradtech
02-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Plan on coming to the camp. Will bring some fish to share.

Jerry Blake
02-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Plan on coming to the camp. Will bring some fish to share.

Hey redneckradtch:

Good to hear you are coming to come to Crappie Camp. Don't worry about bringing any fish though. We should be able to catch all we need but even if we don't, Darryl and I will have plenty of frozen fillets on hand just in case we need them.

redneckradtech
02-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanx, whatever you might need would be glad to help with it. Going to bring at least one buddie who loves to fish for crappie. Plan on camping might get in late Thursday night but have taken off work starting the 11th.
Lake Greeson is truely a beautiful lake, cant wait.

Say are there any of the jig sellers gonna be there? I need to graduate from my tubes. My brother has tied me some hair jigs but havent tried them yet. Work keeps getting in the way. He lives in Arizona, trying to talk him out for the camp.

grubby
02-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Glad to hear your gonna make it down redneckradtech. I know Mike Simpson from Crappie Magic said he will be there and he ties some awsome hair jigs that I've been catching alot of my fish on for the last year. You can use and abuse them and they hold up extremely well most of the ones I've been using still look new. Hope he brings enough with him cause I'm going to load up on them lol.

redneckradtech
02-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Grubby, thanx buddy.
Maybe if ya get a chance ya can show me a few a your favorites for okie water.

Mike Simpson
02-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the kind words Grubby. I'll be there with plenty of supplies to tie jigs by request at the campsite again. PLUS I'll be talking on pouring your own plastic baits. I'll share details I've learned while developing my own original baits and demonstrate how I hand pour baits that catch fish like this........:eek:
(Check out the mouth on that dude!.... On the fish too!) :p
This one is from 2-08-08 She was nearly as fat as me! (I am not kidding)

See you at camp.

Billbob
03-01-2008, 01:08 PM
nice fish what lake did your wife get that one from???

grubby
03-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Gees thats a nice one Mike!

grubby
03-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Grubby, thanx buddy.
Maybe if ya get a chance ya can show me a few a your favorites for okie water.

redneckradtech I sure will if I dont get them all LOL.

texascrappiefisherman
03-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the kind words Grubby. I'll be there with plenty of supplies to tie jigs by request at the campsite again. PLUS I'll be talking on pouring your own plastic baits. I'll share details I've learned while developing my own original baits and demonstrate how I hand pour baits that catch fish like this........:eek:
(Check out the mouth on that dude!.... On the fish too!) :p
This one is from 2-08-08 She was nearly as fat as me! (I am not kidding)

See you at camp.

I don't think so Tim... :rolleyes:

You're going to have to pinch hit for both of us as I probably won't make camp this year. You are also in charge of your brother. Please don't let him and the ranger fight. :eek:

Jerry Blake
03-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Crappie Camp is getting close so it's about time we get a "Head Count" and make a list of what folks are bringing to the fish fry on Saturday evening.

We'll need a fish cooker or two, oil, corn meal, french fries, cole slaw, plates, paper towels, plastic utensils, can drinks/water and all the other usual stuff for a fish fry. If everyone will bring one side dish or desert and a serving utensil for their dish we'll have more food than we'll need. DON'T BRING FISH! I have several quarts of fillets in the freezer just in case the fishing is slow but I am very confident that if a few people will donate at least some of their catch from Friday and/or Saturday we'll have plenty of fish. I'll be glad to fillet the donated fish - just bring them to my boat slip Saturday afternoon.

Please post here if you are coming and what you plan to bring. If something comes up to change your plans, please let us know ASAP so we can make sure we have everything we need.

We'll have a "Weigh In" for our Big Fish Contest about 5:00 Saturday evening and then fire up the fish fryer and plan to eat around 6:00. We'll have B&M Poles for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the Big Fish Contest. Any other tackle manufacturers, jig makers, etc that want to donate products for door prizes or Big Fish Prizes are certainly welcome to do so.

grubby
03-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Jerry me and the wife will be there and we'll bring the plastic ware knifes, forks, and spoons. She said she would make about 5 quarts cole slaw.

CohuttaCrappie
03-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Jerry, I plan on being there. I may bring one friend. I'll bring paper plates, towels, and utensils, probably some sodas too. Can't wait!

Mike Simpson
03-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Jerry, I'll be there. I'll make up a jig kit or two for door prizes, and bring soda for the feast. :)

texascrappiefisherman
03-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Jerry, I'll be there. I'll make up a jig kit or two for door prizes, and bring soda for the feast. :)

And shackles for his brother... :eek:

Mike Simpson
03-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Gosh Tex, I'm glad you reminded me! You know, as you go over your packing list in your mind that's one thing that would be easy to forget. :D

I still think you should find a way to come to camp this year. Why would you want to work a job where you put your life on the line every day yet they won't give you a few days off to go crappie fishing with such a fine bunch of folks?:confused::confused::confused:

BillBob; Sometimes I wonder about your dad......:rolleyes:
Don't worry about having good company at camp, you will have me, AND your other friend there.. (And at least ONE of us likes to listen to music!) :p

I Better go! I just heard one jump!:eek:

texascrappiefisherman
03-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Oh man I'm going to miss the music...
I'm checking the classifieds for a replacement job... NOT :eek:

Billbob
03-09-2008, 09:29 PM
anybody can get out of those things with a ink pen!!! what do you think DAD ???

texascrappiefisherman
03-09-2008, 11:05 PM
anybody can get out of those things with a ink pen!!! what do you think DAD ???

I think you need to CRANK UP THE MUSIC !!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

SkeeterJeff
03-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Jerry, Jill says we will be bringing a couple of kinds of deserts. We expect to be in on Wed. afternoon to set up camp.

Counting the days!!

Jeff

bobberwatcher
03-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I will be there again this year as well. I will definately bring a desert and whatever else is needed. Just let me know

Brad Merry
03-11-2008, 07:09 AM
My father and I are planning on coming up. We will be in on Thursday evening. I will bring some peanut oil and fries for the party!

texascrappiefisherman
03-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Still praying, I'm going to ask my Sgt. if there's any possible way I can have Fri/Sat off.

LMBarnett
03-12-2008, 07:55 AM
As of now, me and the wife are planning on coming down for the camp.

Gentleben
03-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Ok we finalized it last night, fishunter775 and myself will be there for sure for this wild rodeo!!
Fishunter775 aka as Tim White owner of T&T tackle makes many crappie lures and i am getting real fond of them as i have always fished with minnows but since I started using Tim's jigs i am building a lot of confidence in jig fishing for thsoe arkansas slabs!!
Here are some pics of Crappie Tracker Fishhunter 775 and myself, if ya all see us up there come by say hello!!

Gentleben
03-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Here is just a couple of the many slabs caught on fishunter775's lures!!Oh yes and they wrere caught at MillWood reservouir so they are not strangers to Arkansas waters!!

CohuttaCrappie
03-16-2008, 06:40 PM
http://www.mvk.usace.army.mil/Lakes/lakegreeson/main.php?page=mainContent

Here's some info on the lake for all interested.

Crappie Shooter
03-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Jerry,

The wife and I will be there with another couple on Friday. We will bring some desserts and paper goods or anything else that you mighy need. Just let me know if We need to bring something different.

CohuttaCrappie
03-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Hey everybody! I'll be needing a spot in a boat at crappie camp, if anyone has room? I'll be arriving later friday evening. I would certainly pitch in for fuel and what not. Just let me know. Thanks in advance.
Chris Scott

OHIO JIM
03-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Jerry, I will be there for sure. I will bring water and pop for saturday cook out. I will need a boat ride also. I hope you have better weather than we are having.
Jim

grubby
03-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I will have the wife with me but she Aint a morning person so I might have a couple emty spots in my boat if any one is enterested in the mornings.

OHIO JIM
03-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Grubby, I would be happy to take the morning shift with you. I hope to be there on the 10th. I have never been in the area before and would like to look around some. See you at camp.

Jim

Brad Merry
03-19-2008, 07:56 AM
My father and I will be there on the 10th as well, but I will not be there until around 7:30 that evening. We will have room in the boat on Friday, if you need a spot. I can show you around the lake, I've been camping there for 30 years. I have a yellow Triton with a Merc hanging on the back end. See ya there.

Darryl Morris
03-21-2008, 03:39 PM
It's only a few weeks away and it looks like we are getting a very nice group of folks coming to this Spring's Crappie Camp. Got some new folks coming too and that's making it even better.

Just as a reminder, we'll have a big fish competition on Saturday starting at first light. The weigh in will be at 5:00 p.m. After the weigh in we'll have an awards presentation for first, second and third place big crappie, the biggest bi-catch (anything that's not a crappie), and the one who travelled the farthest to attend. My dad who lives in Port Isabel, TX made us some trophies to give away (pictured below). Other prizes include 6 BnM poles with reels, T-shirts, hats, jig kits, GripnCheck Fish Measurers and books. And if I've left anyone or thing out I'm sorry and just speak up. It's going to be a great time of fun, fellowship and fish'in.

http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/images/Trophy2008Spring-sm.jpg

Darryl Morris
03-21-2008, 03:47 PM
From what I can tell from what has been posted so far the following will be brought to the fish fry:

Darryl and Jerry - crappie fillets and hushpuppies
SketterJeff - dessert
Grubby - plasticware and coleslaw
Dr. Pepper - fish friers
Cohutta Crappie - paper plates, towels and sodas
bobberwater - dessert
Brad Merry - peanut oil and fries
Crappie Shooter - dessert and paper goods
Ohio Jim - "pop" and water

Looks like we could still use some corn meal or fish fry mix and other side dishes. Don't forget to bring a serving utensil for your side dish and desserts. That's the list and I know ya'll help me out if I've left something out. IT'S ALWAYS A GOOD FEED! I'm really getting excited about it and I hope ya'll are too.

cms3
03-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Hi everyone.

We will be comming and I will bring brown beans and fish batter.
Looking forward to a great time.:D:D

Charlie

Gentleben
03-22-2008, 02:54 PM
I am not familiar with the park is a there any camping spots close to the water?? I'll be doing it like teh Injuns !!In a tent!!;)

Darryl Morris
03-22-2008, 03:12 PM
I am not familiar with the park is a there any camping spots close to the water?? I'll be doing it like teh Injuns !!In a tent!!;)

Oh yeah. I'll take some pics and post them.

Jerry Blake
03-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Yes, there are a lot of campsites right on the water and you can pull your boat up to the bank close to your campsite. In fact, right now you can pull your boat right up into several of the campsites. :) It will take a couple weeks to get Greeson back down to where it should be but as long as we don't get a bunch more rain before Crappie Camp it should be in good shape and the spawn should be on!

fatboy
03-23-2008, 08:17 AM
I will bring a couple more fryers and some oil, ketchup, mustard (like my crappie slathered with mustard then breaded and fried) and tartar sauce. Anything else needed, just let me know. FATBOY

LMBarnett
03-23-2008, 08:50 PM
From what I can tell from what has been posted so far the following will be brought to the fish fry:

Darryl and Jerry - crappie fillets and hushpuppies
SketterJeff - dessert
Grubby - plasticware and coleslaw
Dr. Pepper - fish friers
Cohutta Crappie - paper plates, towels and sodas
bobberwater - dessert
Brad Merry - peanut oil and fries
Crappie Shooter - dessert and paper goods
Ohio Jim - "pop" and water

Looks like we could still use some corn meal or fish fry mix and other side dishes. Don't forget to bring a serving utensil for your side dish and desserts. That's the list and I know ya'll help me out if I've left something out. IT'S ALWAYS A GOOD FEED! I'm really getting excited about it and I hope ya'll are too.

I can bring some tater salad.

Jerry Blake
03-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Darryl and I have some frozen fillets on hand but we're hoping several folks will donate at least part of their catch from Friday and Saturday so we can have freshly caught fish at our fish fry. As I mentioned before, I'll be glad to fillet any donated fish Saturday afternoon. Just bring them to my boat slip at the marina about 4:00 and I'll save you the trouble of cleaning your fish!

Jerry Blake
03-23-2008, 09:11 PM
I will bring a couple more fryers and some oil, ketchup, mustard (like my crappie slathered with mustard then breaded and fried) and tartar sauce. Anything else needed, just let me know. FATBOY

DR PEPPER is bringing two fish fryers too so we should be in good shape on fryers with his and Fatboy's.

Brad Merry
03-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Jerry if we catch any fish on Friday or Saturday, we will be glad to share. I've never fished for crappie in the spring on Greeson, so I will be needing a point. Will you be sending out more waypoints or will they not be needed? I'm thinking on making a trip up this coming Saturday morning.

fatboy
03-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Hey Chris, aka Cohutta, I spent ten freaking minutes pming you back and your inbox is full. Take a broom and clear that thing out. LOL When you do, pm me back. FATBOY

L.A. stumpjumper
03-24-2008, 07:18 PM
I'll bring Kathy's nanner puddin.

LMBarnett
03-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Jerry, what color of jigs work well on Greenso? I am preparing for Cmp, and would like to tie up some jigs that will catch some fish. Have been using the Chart. colors mostly and catching a few:

LMBarnett
03-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Jerry if we catch any fish on Friday or Saturday, we will be glad to share.

Me too!!!

Jerry Blake
03-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Jerry, what color of jigs work well on Greenso? I am preparing for Cmp, and would like to tie up some jigs that will catch some fish. Have been using the Chart. colors mostly and catching a few:

Those jigs all look good. I use gray/red/gray, chartreuse/silver/chartreuse, white/red/chartreuse and orange/black/chartreuse depending on the conditions but I know there are a lot of other colors that will work.

Jerry Blake
03-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Jerry if we catch any fish on Friday or Saturday, we will be glad to share. I've never fished for crappie in the spring on Greeson, so I will be needing a point. Will you be sending out more waypoints or will they not be needed? I'm thinking on making a trip up this coming Saturday morning.

Thanks Brad - if you bring them to my boat slip I'll clean them. I should be cleaning fish around 4:00 both days.

We'll post or email a file of waypoints once we see where they are going to stop dropping the lake. If they hold it at full pool there will be a ton of visible cover to fish.

Brad Merry
03-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Thanks Brad - if you bring them to my boat slip I'll clean them. I should be cleaning fish around 4:00 both days.

We'll post or email a file of waypoints once we see where they are going to stop dropping the lake. If they hold it at full pool there will be a ton of visible cover to fish.

Thanks Jerry, I still thinking on driving up tomorrow. I will call you later to see if you think it is worth the trip.

Darryl Morris
03-31-2008, 12:26 PM
I have the waypoint file ready for Spring Crappie Camp. (Sorry I was not able to get a .gpx file to download directly for you no matter what option I tried. I've been at it for over 4 hours to no avail. Apparently, all existing new and modern "user-friendly" operating systems and applications want to convert nonstandard file types to .xml format.)

Anyway, if you will email me at darryl@familyfishingtrips.com or send me a private message via crappie.com with your email address I will send them to you. If you don't already have a transfer program, I suggest EasyGPS - http://www.easygps.com/ - it is FREEware. Download, connect your gps to your computer, open the file I send you and then upload to your GPS. (NOTE: if you have matching waypoint numbers/names it will overwrite - change/rename them before uploading if needed).

If you are not able to do this or don't have a means to connect your gps to your computer I will most likely be able to for you after you get to crappie camp. The only downfall of this is I will be guiding and only available during limited periods of time (8 p.m. to 2 a.m. most likely, lol - man, I love crappie camp). Nonetheless, I and Jerry will do our best to help everyone get on the fish. Our weather is in a typical spring pattern with the water temp holding in the upper 50's right now. So, with all optimism on the forefront, crappie camp should be great with warmer water, crappie moving in shallows with greater numbers, etc.

See ya'll there,

Jerry Blake
03-31-2008, 06:24 PM
WOOOOHOOOOO! I just got a cancellation for Saturday the 12th and I'm going to mark myself off so I can relax and enjoy Crappie Camp. I'm also off that Friday afternoon and Sunday so I'll be available to take Crappie Campers out to snatch a few up.

We got about 3-inches of rain yesterday so even with around-the-clock generating the lake came back up a little but it should start going back down again tomorrow and there's still plenty of time to get it down and stable before Crappie Camp.

SkeeterJeff
03-31-2008, 06:33 PM
Jerry, I should have my laptop with me and I will make sure I bring my card reader, so I should be able to assist with waypoint uploads if needed.

The boat is ready, and I will be bringing the rest of the camping gear home from storage over the weekend. We will be headed out after work on Tuesday and should be there and set up on Wed. afternoon late. We are looking forward to seeing everyone again and catching some slabs!

Jeff

LMBarnett
03-31-2008, 08:11 PM
Mary and I will be showing up Thursday evening, probably right at or after dark. She has to work until 4:00 and we live a little east of NLR. Any ideas on where folks will be located, as I have never met anybody.

Jerry Blake
04-01-2008, 05:15 AM
Mary and I will be showing up Thursday evening, probably right at or after dark. She has to work until 4:00 and we live a little east of NLR. Any ideas on where folks will be located, as I have never met anybody.

As you come in to the recreation area take the left fork of the "Y" just past the registration booth. I think most Crappie Campers will be in the first camping loop on the right before you get to the bathrooms. We'll have a "Crappie Camp" banner up. For those that have camped there before, don't worry about the noisy sewage treatment plant - it's not in use anymore.

Brad Merry
04-01-2008, 07:08 AM
My father will be there Thursday afternoon and I make make it up Thursday evening. I can also bring the laptop to help unload waypoints.

Sea Nymph
04-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Looks Like The Boys From Indy Know How To Fish, Good Job!

Darryl Morris
04-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Mr. Jerry Blake (aka "The Angry Beaver") figured out a way you can download the waypoint file. Click on this link - http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/CCWaypoints/CCSpring2008.gpx - when the new window opens you will see the xml file data.
Click on File > Save As and save the file to your desktop or folder of your choice. Go to where you saved the file and double click it. EasyGPS should open with the waypoints listed. You're ready to load them onto your GPS.

See ya'll at Crappie Camp.

CohuttaCrappie
04-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks Darryl and Jerry, I mean "The Angry Beaver".

Jerry Blake
04-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Be sure to download AND install easyGPS before you try to open the saved file.

CohuttaCrappie
04-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Got the file. Opened it with EasyGPS, works great. Thanks again.

Gentleben
04-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I am sooooooooooo ready can' tstand myself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p
Where ya at Fishhunter:)

fishhunter775
04-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Ben Im actin like Santa makin my list and a checkin it twice,Ready to go.

Gentleben
04-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Hey look i have not had time to place my order; just mix me up some chartues /blk. some blue /pruple and some pink/white .I trust your judgement I 'll pay you when i get there be thursday about noon or so !!

SkeeterJeff
04-03-2008, 08:51 PM
I brought the last of the camping gear home from the storage facility tonight. The Thill bubble gum 1/2" floats were delivered today. I have the contour map for Lake Greeson loaded on the SD chip for the iFinder, along with the waypoints. New reels are on the 9' jigging rods. I will pack everything over the weekend. The boat is ready to go. Jill and I will be on the road in 120 hours and sitting in camp in 148 hours!!

Jeff

grubby
04-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Have a safe trip down Jill and Jeff. We will see ya'll Thursday afternoon some time. I am so ready to catch some of them slabs Darryl and Jerry have been posting on thier web sites. Its going to make the next couple days the longest of the year lol.

Jerry Blake
04-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Sorry to say it looks like we need to cancel or reschedule Crappie Camp. Lake Greeson was already 2-feet over "Full Pool" yesterday and we got at least 8-inches of rain last night. The ground was already saturated and the creeks and river were still running strong so it's all pouring into the lake. It came straight up 4-feet overnight and it's rising fast. We think it will go over the spillway in the next 24 to 48-hours, which it hasn't done since 1968. If it does get that high it will take at least 2-weeks to get it back down to full-pool and it could take a month even without any additional rain. The campground will probably be closed and if not many of the campsites will be under water. Of course the "catching" will likely be very low to zilch unless someone knows how to catch them in flooded woods with muddy, falling water a lot better than I do.

So, we can skip Crappie Camp this Spring and plan for Fall Crappie Camp or we can reschedule sometime in May. The "catching" is usually as good or better in the post spawn period as it is during the spawn (especially when the weather and lake are screwed up during the spawn.

I would recommend waiting until at least until May 23-25 but the 30th through June 1st would probably be OK too.

In the future we'll probably want to schedule our Spring Crappie Camp in mid-May to avoid the unstable weather we always seem to encounter in April.

Let us know what you think. If we can get a commitment out of a few folks we'll reschedule. I'll start a Poll on the main board to make it easy to compile everyone's input - http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=62689

Darryl Morris
04-04-2008, 03:56 PM
High water!!!

http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/images/GreesonFlood001.jpg

http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/images/GreesonFlood002.jpg

Jerry Blake
04-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Good news is the car was a company car and not a personal one. Bad news is the driver's laptop computer was inside. Other good news is they took their Lexus home because they were afraid it might get hail damage. Other bad news is they didn't know the water came up over 4-feet while they were asleep in their houseboat out in the dock in the background.

Gentleben
04-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Shucks taht is terrible news , in any event i beleive we will still go and take our chance s since i already have vacation scheduled and am sooooooooooo ready what cha say Tim?? The fish still gotta eat , ehy??:rolleyes:

Jerry Blake
04-04-2008, 08:48 PM
The first place I'd look is under the picnic tables in the campground - excellent crappie condos! I heard this evening that they cut the power off to at least one of the campgrounds. If y'all decide to come we'll try to help put you on some fish somewhere.

bobberwatcher
04-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Jerry, if we don't get any more rain before next weekend, you think the lake will stablize and produce?

Jerry Blake
04-04-2008, 09:21 PM
It's going to be weeks before the lake stabilizes. It probably won't crest until sometime tomorrow or Sunday and then when it does start coming down it will probably be dropping 6-inches to a foot a day. It could take a month to get it back down to "Full Pool" - especially if we get any more rain, which is likely.

We'll be looking for them though. They are ready to spawn and will probably try as soon as the water temp gets into the lower 60s and stays there. IF the forecast holds that will happen pretty quick.

Brad Merry
04-07-2008, 09:06 AM
I would still like to come up. My dad is playing in a golf tourney, so it would be just me. If enough folks still go, I might make a Saturday trip, the wife and daughter already have plans.

Gentleben
04-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Ok, so we haven't totally aborted this mission, have we?
Any new thoughts or dates?:rolleyes:

Darryl Morris
04-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Ok, so we haven't totally aborted this mission, have we?
Any new thoughts or dates?:rolleyes:

As for an official Spring Crappie Camp 2008, yes, I think it's off. The lake is still 8' into flood stage. Things are going to get back to normal in a few weeks or more if we don't get any more rain. You're more than welcome to come here and camp and we'll do our best to put you on some nice cappie. You'll just want to plan it sometime in the middle to end of May.

I think it has been discussed that we set a permanent dates for crappie camp. If I remember correctly they will be the weekend before Memorial Day for the spring and the weekend before Halloween for the fall each year so folks can make long-range plans if they want to.

Jerry Blake
04-16-2008, 07:45 PM
I bumped the "Poll" up. If we can get a few more people to commit I would still be up for having it the weekend of May 30th - June 1st.

grubby
04-16-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm game.

texascrappiefisherman
04-17-2008, 10:31 AM
I am on vacation that week so I'm in. :D

Gentleben
04-24-2008, 03:29 AM
Dang i t, I 'll be at Big SAm that week oh well....:confused:

Gentleben
06-15-2008, 12:04 PM
ok ,so is this dawg dead or are we planning another crappie camp or did I sleep thru it ?? Just axing!!:confused:

Jerry Blake
06-15-2008, 01:11 PM
ok ,so is this dawg dead or are we planning another crappie camp or did I sleep thru it ?? Just axing!!:confused:

We're thinking about having Fall Crappie Camp the first, full weekend (plus Friday) before Halloween each year, which would make it October 24 -26 this year. That should put us right at the beginning of the Fall Feeding Frenzy. We're thinking about having Spring Crappie Camp two weekends before Memorial Day Weekend each year, which would make it May 8 - 10 next year. That would put us past all the goofy weather and floods in April and the crappie should be moving into a post spawn pattern.

texascrappiefisherman
06-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Jerry, I think you're just teasing us. I'm sure sad that we didn't have a spring camp. Had to spend that vacation fishing the Red River for stripers.

Okay, enough whining. I'll see you at fall camp everyone. :D

Gentleben
06-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Awesome you name the dates; we'll be there !!:p

bobberwatcher
06-20-2008, 09:10 PM
10-4