Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cave Run Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Question Cave Run Lake

Any information on Cave Run will be appreciated? Is it reasonable to expect to catch Crappie in late March? I have heard it is an outstanding Musky lake, however I'm not a musky fisherman, ie I don't have heavy enough tackle to get the job done.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    - Winston Churchill

lsimpk Guest

Yes Jab : It is reasonable to expect to catch crappie in late march. I live at cave run, and will be on lake myself. Where you from Jab? Get back to me and we will talk more. p.s. I know the lake well. Louie

Post Thanks / Like

Question Cave Run

What are the conditions on the lake now? Muddy, clear, water temps?
    I fish Cave Run about 4-5 times a year for bass and I would love to get into some serious crappie. What sizes and numbers can you expect and do you catch most of the fish up river?
    Thanks,
    Bassky :p

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cave Run ....

used to be one of my main Crappie lakes. Did fairly well on minnow or jigs, back up in the creeks off the main lake. Never fished the river area ... mostly from Twin Knobs boat ramp to Warix Creek, and Cave Run & Little Cave Run Creeks to Caney Creek. Generally I was there from late April into May...and caught fish in the backs of the creeks, around stickups, in 5-12ft of water. Now that the water weeds are back, that may have changed the current strategy some, though.
    One other place you may find some info on Cave Run is www.kentuckyangling.com -- there's a lot of Muskie/Bass anglers on there, but the site owner lives on the lake (Trimmer). Current lake conditions are always being passed along ... so even that may be of some benefit to you guys. ........... luck2ya'll ................cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dayton fisherman

Louie, I’m from Dayton, Ohio and have a daughter going to school at Morehead. I'd love take several 2 - 3 day trips this spring (my wife might have other ideas!). Fish a bunch and visit with her when I'm not on the lake. I have the last week of March off work and possibly a weekend or two in April / May?
    I’ve seen the lake, but not been on it, would my old tracker (17-ft w/ 50 hp) be enough boat? - Jeff
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    - Winston Churchill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Fishing Cave Run

Jab, I can't tell you about the crappie fishing on Cave Run....I have muskie fished there. You should do fine with your boat, I fished with a friend just this past november with a boat very similar to yours. I would think the lake would be great for Crappie given all the structure that is present. The only problem is I hear those big muskie have crappie on their menu. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jab
    Louie, I’m from Dayton, Ohio and have a daughter going to school at Morehead. I'd love take several 2 - 3 day trips this spring (my wife might have other ideas!). Fish a bunch and visit with her when I'm not on the lake. I have the last week of March off work and possibly a weekend or two in April / May?
    I’ve seen the lake, but not been on it, would my old tracker (17-ft w/ 50 hp) be enough boat? - Jeff
    I fish the Cave 20-25 times a year in less boat than yours (15 ft. w/35hp) You'll do fine. Crappie fishing there is getting better every year and I'm getting anxious for some nicer weather. I'd plan to not be there on April 16th and 17th due the PMTT Tournament. You don't want to get in the way of that many muskie fishermen! LOL! :p

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Jab .......

your boat will be just fine. I've fished it many times with a 15.5ft fiberglass / 50HP motor .... 15.5ft fiberglass / 70hp motor ..... and my fishing buddy's Tracker Tx175/50Hp motor.
    The main lake is pretty much obstacle free ... but be careful in the river. Unless you know the river, it can be hazardous to your prop/lower unit.
    Don't forget to get the parking pass or pay the ramp fee ... whichever is appropriate these days. Make sure you've got a valid license, and all the necessary equipment for your length of boat (PFD's, throw cushion, horn/whistle, fire extinguisher in working order, etc) .... and have at it !! You might also want to be sure you have the correct year tags on the boat, and your registration papers for the boat (never hurts to be "overprepared").

You guys start posting some good reports, and 'ol Crappiepappy may just have to ease on over that way and join in on the fun :D ....luck2ya ...cp

Jeff Jent Guest

Crappie are bitting at cave run in trees with minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Fished the Cave on April 11. Caught 30 or so and kept 15 nice ones (all over 10"). All were caught 10-12 feet deep in 20-25 feet of water near creek channels off main lake. Lake is murkey to muddy up near the river and Beaver Creek areas. Farther down the lake is murkey. Water temps are in the mid 50's and lake is still a couple of feet over summer pool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast