Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do lead fishing sinkers threaten the environment?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do lead fishing sinkers threaten the environment?

Two things you might find surprising: First, lead fishing weights have a long history--the Egyptians used lead net sinkers 5,000-7,000 years ago (reference 2). Second, perhaps the greatest danger posed by lead fishing tackle is neither to fish nor humans, but to birds.

The effect of lead shotgun shot on the environment has been studied for some time. Large die-offs of waterfowl due to lead poisoning were first reported in the late 1800s (reference 5) and continued through the next century, eventually prompting the 1991 Federal ban on the use of lead shot in hunting. However, the impact of lead fishing tackle has not been as well studied, perhaps due to the belief that the enormous amount of lead shot put into the environment by hunters far outweighed any impact from fishing. According to research by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service published in the mid-1980s, about 3,000 tons of lead shot were discharged by hunters into the environment annually (reference 4). Reference 2 claims the amount is even larger:

Several million hunters are estimated to deposit more than 6,000 metric tons of Pb shot annually into lakes, marshes, and estuaries; this represents about 6,440 pellets per bird bagged. Shot densities as great as 860,000 pellets/ha (2,124,000/acre) have been estimated in some locations (Wobeser 1981), although concentrations of 34,000 to 140,000/ha are more common (Longcore et al. 1982; Driver and Kendall 1984).

That sounds like a lot, but is it really that much more than the number of lead sinkers entering the environment each year? Determining that figure is a daunting task, as no really good accounting or survey information seems to exist. However, I was astonished to find the EPA noting in 1994 that:

It is estimated that approximately 2,500 metric tons of lead, zinc, and brass sinkers (over 98 percent of the volume represented by lead), an estimated 480 million sinkers, are manufactured each year in the United States (reference 1).

Reference 5 cites a figure of 2,700 tons of lead sinkers made per year in the United States, adding that "400-550 tons" of lead sinkers are made in Canada each year (500 according to reference 7). Unless the number of sports fishers is rising steadily, people are starting large lead sinker collections, or an underground economy of mole people is using them as currency, it's safe to assume that a large portion of these represent replacements for sinkers lost during fishing. If the figures are accurate, we're talking about perhaps 3,000 tons of lead per year entering the waterways of the U.S. and Canada. In other words, an amount not too far from that contributed by lead shot before 1991.

With that much lead entering the water, one would think that there would be many reported cases of large-scale fish die-offs due to lead sinkers. That doesn't seem to be the case, although die-offs due to exposure to other concentrated sources of lead such as mine tailings have been reported (reference 2). The total amount of lead entering the aquatic environment is substantial--in addition to fishing weights and mine tailings, sources of the metal include air pollution, batteries, and lead shot from target ranges. Unlike some other toxins, lead doesn't appear to bioaccumulate in the food chains of freshwater aquatic vertebrates--i.e., you don't find progressively greater amounts of lead as you move up the predator hierarchy due to big fish eating little fish. Such concentration as there is seems to be a function of the age of the organism, with lead concentrating in "hard tissues such as bone and teeth (Eisler 1981, 1984)" (reference 2). The primary biological effects on fish seem to be anemia, depressed blood enzyme levels, growth inhibition in young, and kidney and liver damage (reference 2).

It turns out that the form of wildlife primarily at risk from lead poisoning due to fish sinkers is waterfowl, not fish. This stems from the birds' habit of eating smaller sinkers (especially the "split-shot" type) to use as grit in their gizzards, where they pulverize hard-to-digest items such as seeds. As the sinkers are ground along with sand and rocks, the lead is released into their bodies in concentrated form, leading to debilitation and death. It's estimated that perhaps 2% of all waterfowl die per year as a result of ingesting lead shot and other lead objects. In England, the mute swan suffers greatly from ingestion of lost fishing sinkers--one study in 1982 reported that half of all mute swan deaths in England were a result of lead poisoning. Many varieties of geese, ducks, and cranes as well as non-waterfowl such as the mourning dove and others have been studied and shown to have suffered from lead poisoning due to fishing sinkers as well.

The case of the loon is perhaps the most telling in North America, and responsible for much of the push for legislation banning lead fishing sinkers. According to reference 5:

In New England, poisoning from lead weights and jigs is the greatest source of loon mortality, accounting for 50% of adult deaths (Pokras and Chafel 1992). Likewise, in Canada, 30% of adult loon mortality is due to lead poisoning resulting from sinker ingestion (Scheuhammer and Norris 1996). Ensor et al. (1992) found that 17% of adult loon deaths in Minnesota could be traced to lead poisoning from fishing tackle.

In addition, reference 1 notes:

A 2.5 year study of mortalities of common loons in New England found that lead toxicity from ingested fishing sinkers was the most common cause of death in adult breeding birds ... The study reported that 64 percent of adult common loons (Gavia immer) received for analysis from New Hampshire, and 44 percent of adults received from Maine, had ingested fishing sinkers. Thirty-one adults were examined, and of these, 16 (52 percent) were shown to have died from lead poisoning ... Levels of lead found in the blood of loons that had ingested sinkers averaged 1.4 ppm. The study indicated that scientists consider 0.35 to 0.60 ppm lead in the blood to be indicative of lead poisoning in many species. Levels of lead in the livers of 4 loons that had lead sinkers in their gizzards ranged from 5.03 to 18.0 ppm, while levels in 10 loons that did not have fishing sinkers in their gizzards ranged from <0.05 to 0.11 ppm. The study also states that 5 or 6 ppm in the liver is considered a toxic level in waterbirds. Toxic effects of lead to loons were found to be similar to those seen in other waterbirds.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, the potential damage to wildlife from environmental lead doesn't end there. Raptors such as the American bald eagle, Andean condor, honey buzzard, king vulture, and California condor can suffer from secondary lead poisoning after eating contaminated fish or waterfowl. Most secondary contamination of predators, it should be said, derives from ingestion of lead shot; many of the lead pellets and pieces from lead sinkers pass harmlessly through the digestive systems of predators or are regurgitated. However, documented cases of poisoning from lead fishing sinkers do exist (reference 1).

Bans on certain types of lead fishing sinkers have been imposed in some areas. New Hampshire has enacted a multi-step ban that will ban all fishing weights of less than one ounce by 2006 (reference 3). New York, Vermont, and Maine ban the sale of lead fishing weights weighing one-half ounce or less (references 9, 10, 11). Canada bans use of lead sinkers weighing less than 50 grams (1.76 ounce), and the UK Environment Agency says, "No fishing weights made of lead may be used except those of 0.06 grams or less and those of more than 28.35 grams" (from 0.002 ounce to 1 ounce). Most U.S. bans affect only the sale of new fishing sinkers, not the use of existing ones. Home manufacture of sinkers is also not prohibited; according to the EPA, "It is estimated that between 0.8 and 1.6 million anglers may produce their own lead sinkers" (reference 1). I never heard of anyone making their own sinkers; it sounds rather boring. But people think handloading is boring too, and it's actually quite enjoyable, so what do I know?

The fact is, lead is harmful to an enormous variety of wildlife, and lead fishing sinkers and other lead tackle contribute significantly to the risk. Sinkers made from an array of alternative materials are available, including copper, bismuth, steel, brass, tungsten, and even densified plastic and ceramic. The chief difference between these and lead sinkers is cost--online fishing gear catalogs suggest that alternative sinkers cost 4 to 8 times as much as lead. Still, reference 7 claims that the annual cost to a Canadian angler should be "less than $2.00." Is that really a big deal to help end heavy metal poisoning?
    References

1. USEPA 1994. Lead Fishing Sinkers: Response to Citizens' Petition and Proposed Ban, Proposed Rule. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC.
    2. Eisler, Ronald, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. "Lead Hazards to Fish, Wildlife, and Invertebrates: A Synoptic Review." Biological Report 85(1.14), Contaminant Hazard Reviews, April 1988.
    3. New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fish...e_lead_out.htm.
    4. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 1986. "Migratory bird hunting; availability of a final supplemental environmental impact statement (SEIS) on the use of lead shot for hunting migratory birds in United States." Federal Register 51(124):23443-23447; also US Fish and Wildlife Service. 1987. "Migratory bird hunting; zones in which lead shot will be prohibited for the taking of waterfowl, coots and certain other species in the 1987-88 hunting season." Federal Register 52(139):27352-27368.
    5. Sanborn, Wendy. "Lead Poisoning of North American Wildlife from Lead Shot and Lead Fishing Tackle."
    6. Sidor, Inga F., Pokras, Mark A., Major, Andrew R., Poppenga, Robert H., Taylor, Kate M. Miconia, Rose M. "Mortality of Common Loons in New England, 1987 to 2000." Journal of Wildlife Diseases, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 306-315.
    7. Scheuhammer, A.M., Money, S.L., Kirk, D.A., Donaldson, G. "Lead fishing sinkers and jigs in Canada: Review of their use patterns and toxic impacts on wildlife." Occasional Paper Number 108, Canadian Wildlife Service, March 2003.
    8. Scheuhammer, A.M., Norris, S.L. "A review of environmental impacts of lead shotshell ammunition and lead fishing weights in Canada." Occasional Paper Number 88, Canadian Wildlife Service, August 1995.
    9. Vermont Statutes, Sec. 1. 10 V.S.A. § 4606(g) and Sec. 2. 10 V.S.A. § 4614.
    10. Maine Statutes, Title 12: Conservation, Part 13: Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, Subpart 4: Fish and Wildlife, Subchapter 5: Unlawful Fishing Methods, §12663: Unlawful sale of lead sinkers.
    11. State of New York Environmental Conservation Law, Section 11-0308.

Post Thanks / Like

Of the total loon population per state or province (Canada), how many have died from lead poisoning? Numbers, not percentages.
    How many have died from mercury poisoning or the ingestion of fish hooks?
    How many that had high levels of lead, died of mercury or other causes?

In parts per billion, what significant amounts of lead have been found in most waters surveyed and if a greater amount, what percentage of those waters contained lead related health risks to humans or fish?

Take this opinion for what's it's worth:
    Banning split shot is a joke and a political power play. Unless chemical and biological surveys were done on thousands of waters that possibly had a large kill of loons over many years, I would have my doubts of any scientific speculation.

If lead jigs are available and legal, what's the point? Birds eat fish that have jighooks attached to their lips. How many die from the hook versus the lead or from foxes?

How come the thousands of reservoirs that permit fishing with lead sinkers and split shot haven't had to ban the use of either due to high levels in drinking water?

I know you're passionate about saving the loons, but science hasn't supported banning lead fishing products and IMO alternatives stink and are expensive. I have a good supply and sources outside my state to buy more lead sinkers and spoons. Unless NY goes the way of Maine and N.H., I can't see myself switching. I have done Google seaches for reports done in Michigan and Canada and I the ones I've read don't support banning lead use in outdoor sports.

(BTW, loons are becoming a nuisance in many northeast waters because of the numbers of bass they kill. If there hasn't been an open season yet, I'd be surprised.)

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, interesting.

IMHO, some other material for sinkers will quickly catch on and become the "standard", at which time prices will drop. I remember when there was talk of doing away with lead in electrical solder, there was much hand wringing and fussing that it would never work. Well, lo and behold, we now have perfectly acceptable lead-free solder.

Some old fuddy-duddy types may hate to hear this, but given the facts why not just go ahead and ban lead sinkers. I don't care what that weight on the end of my line is made of, as long as I can catch fish.

Also, taking into account the amount of lead sinkers that are currently sitting in lakes etc. I wonder how many years (decades?) it will take after banning them before the harmful effect starts to diminish.

Post Thanks / Like

Organic Lead in sinkers and jigs does not dissolve in water. Effect on water quality is minimal.

The issues listed in the sited Google searches indicate direct ingestion of the sinkers is the cause of avarian deaths. Did the lead kill the bird? Was it a virus? Was it an injury? We cannot validate the numbers as we weren't part of the study. We should alway keep in mind the intent of the authors of these articles. Who supported the research for the studies? Concerned citizens? Environazi's?

Regarding lead shot, I have seen some pretty substantial proof of lead shot's effect on bottom feeding marsh ducks, geese, herons and cranes, but lead shot is small and easilly ingested. Lead shot from shell is distributed over a large area of shall water. Fishing sinkers distribution over areas where these birds feed is minimal as these areas are not heavily fished.

Where do I stand on using lead for fishing? Unlike the effect of lead shot from waterfowl hunters that was documented by a multitude of different sources, I've only seen two articles regarding fishing leads dangers. I support the use of lead in fishing applications. However, I support the ban of lead shot for waterfowl hunting.

The future of lead:
    In our mobocratical collectivist republic ,the lead ban in fishing lures will occur eventually. Pro environment people will use the 'Loons' or the 'Raptures' as an issue to create a 'War' on lead and the end result will be a coercive law forcing all to comply by using the threat of incarceration or a forfeiture of a portion of your monetary resources.

I say, "If you feel there is a direct environmental impact, then go ahead and purchase copper, bismuth, steel, brass, tungsten, densified plastic or ceramic." Until laws are passed through the state legislatures use lead to your heart's content.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

that was lead shot too...Not like they are out there eating 1oz leads.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess we need to expand our government bureaucracy and create a duck poop committee.

You guys out duck hunting better be careful. You might get carpet bombed by ducks dropping 1/4 ounce lead poop shot.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the tungsten weights - but man the $$$
    I'm so stingy I hate losing a LEAD weight :D

Speaking of Loons, for whatever reason, a bunch of them things have
    started wintering on Bay Springs the last few years.
    I like the company when I'm out fishing by myself in the cold, nasty weather -
    last winter I got to immitating their call, got to where I could make them
    turn their head sideways and listen, follow me around
    them dudes is fishing too, and seems like we prefer the same parts of
    the lake. Makes me a little nervous when I'm longline trolling though and they
    start diving around in my spread - I'd hate to have to try to unhook one of
    them. I wonder how deep they dive I had to unhook a big white
    duck at a catfish pond one time when I was younger, unpleasant business!
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

One day we will lose the ability to use lead the next we will all be running hydrogen powered boat motors so we dont pollute the waterways with gas and oil. Anyone got a solar powered trolling motor I can buy?

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It aint lead you'd better be worrying about.

Ever stop to think how many waterfowl land in disposal ponds from laboratories?

How many land in waste ponds at chemical plants and nuclear facilities?

Or how many land in cyanide leach mines?

Or how many land in decoration or cooling ponds for shopping centers and office buildings, AFTER they went to the first 3 places above?

Area 51?

I'm not the least bit concerned about lead at the moment.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast