Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home made Jigs vs Store bought Jigs??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Home made Jigs vs Store bought Jigs??

I'm new to crappie fishing and I'm trying to get my tackle built up. I see that a few members make their own jigs. Are Home made better then Store jigs?? Do they catch more fish?

Who has the best Home made Jigs??:D

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

If you tie you're own, you can make them exactly how you like them: the hook size/shape you like, the jig head you like, etc. And it's cheaper than buying them!

Learn to tie your own jigs. It's incredibly easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieCHAMP
    I'm new to crappie fishing and I'm trying to get my tackle built up. I see that a few members make their own jigs. Are Home made better then Store jigs?? Do they catch more fish?

Thanks.
    Yes! I would say my jigs will hold up so much better than store bought it's not even close. I have caught over 100 crappie on the same jig before losing it to a snag.

I would go so far as to say I don't think a better jig can be bought than mine. Also I can make it custom color combos that you c an even buy at a store.

Look at my web site and I am sure you will see what I mean. If I can help let me know.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Home made jigs are better, lot of people on here tie jigs to sell, Ebay also has quite a few

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest problem with store bought jigs (besides the poor quality) is the overall lure/hook size. The store jig makers increase the hook size and body size each time they increase the head weight.

I use jigs from 1/32 to 1/4 oz with the same hook and body size most of the time. Sometime I want a bigger body with a light head and other times I want a small body with a heavy head. The only way to get that is to make your own or order from a custom jig maker like Skip or Jigum.

A good fisherman can catch some fish on anything but will catch more on a good jig.
    Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

The best thing I like about making your own is you can use your own imagination with colors, type of jig, hook sizes, weights, shapes. If you're thinking of making your own, I think I would do some research, like reading some of the threads on the jig tying forum which may be helpful. Tying your own jigs is not rocket science, so jump in. It's a good hobby to have, especially during the cold, wet, winter months when you can't get out and do anything else. If you hang your plow, some of us will jump in and lend a helping hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Store bought or hand made if you find a good color combantion or a certain look that you them slabs love than its a good jig!! To say store bought jigs arent very good i beg to differ ive been in the jig making business for as long as i can remember and i never stop finding ways to improve our jigs!! U can check em out at www.grizzlyjig.com Im not gonna get up here and say they are the absolute best but u can bet they've boated a many Hogs!! But I will still tie up my own secrect wepon ever once in a while.
    Mr. Plucker

Post Thanks / Like

Osofishy: Which jigs do you make for Grizzlyjig?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Champ ....

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieCHAMP
    Thanks.
    Custom made jigs are generally miles apart from "generic" tackle. The "one size fits all" mentality of most store jigs, just doesn't always work. You've already heard from other members, about the different hook sizes & colors & body styles, etc. that a custom jig maker can provide ... you just don't always find that in a lot of store bought choices. They ALL will catch fish ... but, custom made jigs will outlast most generic store bought stuff, so you actually get more bang for the buck -- even if the custom jigs are more expensive.

Most every custom jig maker is going to think/say that their jigs are the best ... they have pride in their creations, and rightfully so.
    I think we have enough custom jig makers, to provide pretty much anyone with any kind of jig they could want ... or dream up :D

Grousefly (Paul Mullins of P&S Custom Tackle)
    Crappie Magic (Mike Simpson)
    Oregon Slabman
    Crappieday (Microspoons/jigs by Keith/Jessica)

These 4 people have supplied me with the majority of my custom jigs ... all different and unique, all seriously good quality products, and all deadly !!

.... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Store bought jigs are crap, I don't tie but have used home tied jigs and they are far superior.
    Stinkies Daddy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast