Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build it when you can

Post Thanks / Like

Default Build it when you can

A few months ago I posted a reminder that a low lake level is a great time to do some scouting. Jerry and I have been doing just that. We have found lots of cover and even more places we want to put cover. We've even gotten out of the boat and walked the dry banks of shallow spawning coves. It's exciting to walk up on an area that has old crappie beds, a deep bass bed over there by that stump and the honeycomb of bream beds over there by that rise. Then you realize if there was more cover there in the shallows so many more crappie could have favorable spawning real estate.

Another great thing to do when your lake is down is build habitat and place it in the exact places you want ready for the water to rise. Jerry's post on the Crappie Structure Forum entitled "Bamboo Crappie Condos" will soon be updated with all the details of the new "Mega Mat." Crappie love to get under their cover. The vertical rise of these combined with the sheer volume should hold tons of crappie and help increase recruitment and decrease mortality of the fry. Oh yeah, and you'll know where to catch them when they run shallow.

Here's the senario. Presently, Lake Greeson is about 13' low. So, the backs of many of our coves are dry ground. We're building these near the water's edge on relatively level ground. They rise 5-6' off the bottom. So, at full pool (not the norm) they'll be in about 12' of water. Any rise in water greater than 5' will make them perfect for spawning territory.

Use heavyweight blocks 4 high to create the rise. Cross them to create the span. You'll need about 20 pieces of giant bamboo about 20' long. Put 4 bamboo stalks in the bottom blocks.

Use 4 more blocks (one each on all four corners of the mat) about 3-4 foot from the center tower.

Push the bamboo (at least 4 for each block, 2 one direction and 2 the opposite direction) through the center tower and insert the butt end into the outlying single block. This helps anchor the bamboo and keeps the head of the boo off the ground.

As you can see, there's lots of volume and just the right height for relatively shallow water. It's the equivalent to at least four 12' cedar trees that are 5-6' in diameter all pointing in a different direction and without doubt much easier to build and the bamboo should last as long if not longer.

You can see in this picture one of the former bamboo mats (leaves missing but the small branches still in tact) made with only 2 blocks. I think you can imagine how the mega mat in the background will hold more crappie and give them a great place to spawn and the fry to hide.

Hope ya'll enjoy the post and get some great ideas from it for your favorite fishing waters.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

That is one of the neatest things I ahve seen in a while!! So obvisouly it is legal to place structure in arkansas?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the laydowns. Fishes are spawning deeper due to the crazy weather. Fish like spawning "in the woods" too. I putting out some as the weather allows.

I ain't caught any good fishes real shallow in a couple of years. They been getting in the shallows and get right back out.

You going to Grizzlies this January?

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I caught my big crappie off that mat! :D
    Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Man that is awesome. You guys should get a medal for crappie habitat building. Thankyou so much for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

That would be an awesome idea if Ohio would let us do it. Or should I say NOhio. We can't do anything around here without permission or the risk of a fine. I'm sure SOME GUYS do it here and there anyway, but a mat that size would be hard to hide in your boat. Most people here will sneak some stakes and make stake beds or some PVC or Christmas trees. I wis we could do more. I go to Weiss and other southern waters and see and fish all the manmade cover and it seems to make a huge difference. Guess that's why nobody comes to Ohio from out of state to crappie fish.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, that is great. But no bamboo up this north, hehe.
    I almost did the same thing up at camp this fall.
    I built a few little fishy shelters for the spawning smallies and rockies that hang on our banks in the spring and high water.
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman
    NAFC Life Member & field tester
    Take a child fishing today, for smiles that last a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

Camo we don't need em up here we have weeds. :D

You must build them where your going to place them. How could you move those? Would you use them in deeper water as well or would you just use the upright ones there?
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 11-27-2007 at 01:41 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lhumphre
    That is one of the neatest things I ahve seen in a while!! So obvisouly it is legal to place structure in arkansas?
    The answer to your question is yes and no. You are suppose to have a permit or permission, etc. but it's not usually enforced. Some lakes' officials are more strict that others. We are very lucky on Lake Greeson. The lake is owned by the Corps of Engineers but the management of fish and their habitat is the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission's responsibility. Usually, AGFC cut down trees the COE selects and then they sink those around the lake. Jerry and I have had the opportunity to introduce the local AGFC fisheries biologists to the benefits of using bamboo. Lake Greeson was clear-cut of its timber when built so there is no natural cover, thus the need for large amounts of habitat. So far this year is we have sunk about 200 of the Bamboo Condos and have plans for half that many more of the Mega Mats before next spring as long as the water level allows it.
    Darryl Morris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I agree with the laydowns. Fishes are spawning deeper due to the crazy weather. Fish like spawning "in the woods" too. I putting out some as the weather allows.

I ain't caught any good fishes real shallow in a couple of years. They been getting in the shallows and get right back out.

You going to Grizzlies this January?

Tom
    You're right Tom. Of course, every body of water is different and we've all heard the stories of seeing the dorsal fins of crappie sticking out of the water when they spawn. But, that's not always the case. We caught and later found evidence of spawning crappie 9-12' deep this year. The crappie have such a strong survival instinct that they are going to do whatever it takes to get the job done. I think they will spawn real shallow early in the season and as the season progresses they will gradually spawn deeper due to changing water conditions. On Lake Greeson, full generating pool is 548 msl. Placing these Mega Mats at about 536 msl will make them multipurpose. At full pool they can serve as staging beds or deep spawning areas. Anything less than full pool they'll be perfect for spawning cover.

About Grizzly's Spring Tackle Show (January 24-27), I haven't really planned that far ahead yet. I've thought about it. Plus, I've got this new gig with being on the BnM Prostaff, so if they want me to go, I'll probably be there. Otherwise, I'll probably be sinking more bamboo, lol.
    Darryl Morris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast