PDA

View Full Version : Wild minnows vs bought minnow

bentpole
11-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Yeaaar's ago I fished sometime with a couple of fellows that said wild minnows was the best for bigger Crappie,Has any of you noticed any diff- between the two? There is a couple of small creeks around here that has alot of small minnows in them.I was wondering if it was any use to try them?,Would have to buy minner trap,drive to them & ect-. Mark....

skleppe
11-26-2007, 08:01 AM
A minnow is a minnow. Are minnows you buy in the store domestic minnows. Cant see how there would be any difference except maybe in color.

The Eyes Have It
11-26-2007, 04:15 PM
The minnows in our tanks were wild till we tamed them. :)

bttmline
11-26-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't necessarily true. Pond raised have no predators to be afraid of. Put some wild and pond raised in a cooler and throw a crappie in and see what happens. Just my thinking. Might be CRAZY i believe wild are better.
Tim

ShilohRed
11-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Mark I think a minnow that is wild. Had been chased all there life's. and there going to try to escape like crazy.
But hook a minnow through the eyes and I think he will fight if store bought or not.
I also have been thinking of catching some and giving them a try. I do know a rosy red will out catch a standard minnow most days.
Pete

Baditude
11-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Don't fish with either , use jigs:D :D ...on a serious note , i have a buddy who fishes the river for Flatheads. He used to buy his bait until he trapped his own from a local creek and did his own little study...lets just say he doesn't buy his bait anymore.

turkeyfootnc
11-26-2007, 06:45 PM
The only difference I can tell is a wild minnow usually lasts longer.

crappie cowboy
11-26-2007, 06:57 PM
I had some really wild a** minners, buy tamed and trained them to whistle and dance to attract crappie. :p
They older now and have moved out and started there own family's and now
working for Walley Marshall, man I sure miss em.

srm

gabowman
11-26-2007, 07:00 PM
I always buy minnows by the pound and keep 'em in a tank of clear water. When I go fishing I add a tad of bait saver to the water in the mionnow bucket and the minnows get very active. LOL...I never thought the minnows I buy by the pound as being "tame". LOL

DKR
11-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Yeaaar's ago I fished sometime with a couple of fellows that said wild minnows was the best for bigger Crappie,Has any of you noticed any diff- between the two? There is a couple of small creeks around here that has alot of small minnows in them.I was wondering if it was any use to try them?,Would have to buy minner trap,drive to them & ect-. Mark....

Give them a shot. They will work fine. U want beat the price. (lol)

Team_Flopeye
11-26-2007, 07:49 PM
I catch big minnows in basket I have in creek.Saves alot of time and money.

*STUMP HANGER*
11-26-2007, 08:23 PM
I like a minnow that looks like a minnow not some small gar..or shark you sometimes get from the bait store

skleppe
11-27-2007, 10:55 PM
I like a minnow that looks like a minnow not some small gar..or shark you sometimes get from the bait store
I get one of those every now an then from the bait shop. I never fish with them as I was told by one Ol Boy that they scare the crappies away. They now get sqeezed and toss overboard.

Fish
11-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Mark, I was drift fishing on a lake in north Mississippi one time and wasn't catching a thing, there was this old guy there drift fishing and he was tearing the crappie up. As he drifted close to me I asked him what he was fishing with and he told me guppies. I asked if he would show me the guppies and they were what I call top waters. He siad he had a pond full of them. I know one thing for sure, he was doing good on them.

Team_Flopeye
11-28-2007, 10:35 AM
wild guppies are all over my pond too,Top waters is a good name for them.I bet they would work good if you can find the biguns.Thanks Fish

Fish
11-28-2007, 04:12 PM
wild guppies are all over my pond too,Top waters is a good name for them.I bet they would work good if you can find the biguns.Thanks Fish

TF, the ones he was using weren't more than 1 1/4- 1 1/2 inches long but he was sure doing some catching crappie with them.

Team_Flopeye
11-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Cool I have a tank full might give them to my fav Crappie fishing team.Big E and BAmBAM!

Thanks I also thought they would be good.

That still a good size guppie.Took me awhile to get this many that big inside.