Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crappie fishing California Style + Youtube Video

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie fishing California Style + Youtube Video

Hi guys. I know most of you guys are down in the south, but I wanted to show you guys how us west coast crappie fisherman do it. I fished Clear Lake last weekend and between the two days caught literally over 200 crappie. Most are about a pound to a pound and a half with some good ones pushing 2.5+. Haven't caught any in the 3 pound range yet, but they are there. Bait used was a variety of Fin-S-Shad, Panfish Assassins, Wooly Beavers, and regular tube jigs worked with a finger twitching technique. Not only does this impart a very convincing swimming action to your lure, but the line on your fingertip also aids in strike detection, which is often quite subtle.

Hope you guys enjoy the video. All fish were released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrAeT8km1OI

Post Thanks / Like

This should be the start of a great winter crappie season.

Crappie Lures

Some fish from last year

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Hey Grass Hopper,
    That's quite a hook set you've got going on there!:rolleyes: Did any of the pot-licker's that kept trying to move in on you catch anything?
    You should try keeping some of those fish for the fryin' pan.
    Great video, thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing the video. Great job of putting it together. Looks like you really have that twitching techinque down. Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice slabs looks like a lot of fun. I have a friend that fishes Diamond Valley Lake by Hemmit California and he gets some nice crappie and some blue gills up to 12'' .

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Grasshopper, Thanks for sharing the video ! I learned a something about the the twitch of the line technique. Looks like a great lake to fish with all that bait.

Post Thanks / Like

cool pic
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the good comments guys. The crowding wasnt too bad actually on Sunday. Saturday there were about 15 boats and some tried to muscle in and cast so close some of their jigs landed INSIDE our boat. Most were very courteous and respectful.

As for keeping fish, I LOVE to eat crappie, but the ones from Clear Lake have a bit of a muddy, funky taste to it so they get a free ticket back into the drink. I think it comes from the sulfur and volcanic activity that occurs under the lake. Lots of underwater hotsprings and such. Occasionally I'll keep a few for friends who want some.

Quote Originally Posted by goldwingtiny
    Hey Grass Hopper,
    That's quite a hook set you've got going on there!:rolleyes: Did any of the pot-licker's that kept trying to move in on you catch anything?
    You should try keeping some of those fish for the fryin' pan.
    Great video, thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, DVL is one of a few awesome crappie lakes in southern California. We're lucky to have Clear Lake up north. My biggest so far was a fat 3lb 10oz black crappie from last year. Hoping to break that this year. :D

Quote Originally Posted by barn dog
    Nice slabs looks like a lot of fun. I have a friend that fishes Diamond Valley Lake by Hemmit California and he gets some nice crappie and some blue gills up to 12'' .

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

greetings from illinois...what is up with the hook set, something i ahve never seen before...is your drag pretty much nothing? i ahve been told to loosen your drag all the way to prevent mouth tears...nice catch man and keep postin...keeps us boys who have to deal with winter happy while all the snow falls!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast