Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fish Mount

Post Thanks / Like

Question Fish Mount

What is the best way to keep a fish that you want to have mounted?

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

With what they can do nowadays you dont need to keep a fish to mount. just take lots of pics and measurements. You might look at this http://www.fishreplicas.com/
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a good friend who mounts fish and he recommends taking a photograph of the fish so that it's true colors can be captured and then wrapping the fish in a wet towel. If possible take the fish to the taxidermist when you get home from the lake so he can take measurements of the fish and order the correct size form. If this is not possible, wrap the fish in a wet towel then bag it in a trash bag an place in the freezer until you can get it to the taxidermist.

I've seen some very good fish mounts and some very poor. I've yet to see a replica that didn't look like a fake fish. The mounts I have are of the real fish and if thrown in the lake would look like a real fish. Not trying to knock the replica's, but they are usually more expensive and at least with the one's I've seen are overpainted. (just my 2 cents)

Post Thanks / Like

Wrap it in newspaper and toss em in the deep freeze until you get it to your taxidermist!!! Its worked for me on a many a hogs!!
    Mr. Plucker

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if it is the largest I ever caught but it is definitely the prettiest I have caught. I always said it would have to be a 3 lber to get mounted but this one is 2 lbs 8 ounces.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a hog!! Make sure you give em the pics. so they get that awsome color on it when there done.
    Mr. Plucker

Post Thanks / Like

I used to mount fish. BadBrad's advice for wrapping the fish in a wet towel and then freezing it is dead on.. This is by far the best thing to do.. Just be careful with the tail area. It's a good idea to double the towel back over the tail to give it support once frozen and reduce the risk of breaking the tail.. Also prior to wrapping in the wet towel fold the pec fins down alongside the body and fold the dorsel fin all the way down.. This will prevent the fins from freezer burning.

As for replicas, many of them now a days are absolutely awesome. I too have seen replicas that were overpainted.. This is usually the result of a Taxidermist that doesn't have alot of experience with painting replicas. This is caused by the sealer coat not setting up properly on a replica before adding color coats.. Any one can mount a fish or purchase a replica... PAINTING A FISH is another skillset altogether. We should also understand that Crappie are one of the hardest fish to mount since the scales loosen and pop during the skinning process... There are tricks to prevent this. But the loose scale situation is one reason the the replicas for crappie are becoming more popular.

Talk to your Taxidermist and explore your options. Yes, Replicas can be more expensive. But if done properly will last forever... That's a beautiful Black Crappie... Your photos have captured the colors very well. A good Taxidermist should have no problem producing an excellent mount and getting the colors right. Good Luck and Congrats on a great catch.

Post Thanks / Like

if you need a good taxidermist, the guy i use has a website, check him out: http://www.lygataxidermy.com

he was my science teacher in high school-put himself through college doing fish. I've seen his operating-very nice. does everything out of his basement, and only takes as many fish as he can handle in a timely matter (about 100 a year he told me).

Post Thanks / Like

1. role in wet towel.
    2. after roling in towel run more water over it to completely saturate.
    (your actualy trying to form a complete ice sheild around the whole fish to guard against freezer burn!)
    3. slip whole thing in a two gallon ziplock bag or small trash bag and freeze.
    DO NOT use newspaper!! Newspaper against the skin of a fish actualy sucks moisture out of the fish causing freezer burn!