Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New to Cat

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to Cat

New to catfishing also.

Can anyone point me in the right direction where and how to get started.

Have a 14' Jon boat and probably be on Lake Bisteneau La

Thanks for any help

John

Post Thanks / Like

Yo Kajun - you got your ears on ?

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Ictalurus_furcatus Guest

Blue catfish are opportunistic predators and will eat any species of fish they can catch, along with crayfish, freshwater mussels, frogs, and other readily available aquatic food sources (some blue catfish have reportedly attacked scuba divers.) Catching their prey becomes all the more easy if it is already wounded or dead, and blue cats are noted for feeding beneath marauding schools of striped bass in open water in reservoirs or feeding on wounded baitfish that have been washed through dam spillways or power generation turbines.

Due to their opportunistic nature, blue catfish will usually take advantage of readily accessible food in a variety of situations, which from the angler's perspective makes cutbaits, deadbaits, and even stinkbaits an excellent choice to target these fish. Blue cats will also respond well to livebaits, with live river herring and shad usually a top choice followed by large shiner minnows, sunfish, suckers, and carp. All of the above baits can be used as fresh cutbaits with good success and freshwater drum also work well in this capacity. Generally a fairly large piece of cutbait (4-12 inches long) on a fairly large hook (3/0 to 9/0) is a good choice in rivers or reservoirs where large blue cats (20 pounds and up) are a possibility. Depending on current conditions sinkers ranging from 1/2 to 6 or 8 oz. may be required with 1-2 oz. a good choice for many situations. To catch large blue catfish in rivers the more current the better usually, although fishing along current edges and breaks is often a good option. Blue catfish tend to favor deeper water in larger rivers and reservoirs, but will make feeding and spawning forays into relatively shallow water.

WHERE FLATHEADS RULE
    In the northern portion of the state, another species of catfish is king. The flathead catfish has been at home for eons in some of the older lakes of north Louisiana. One of the more popular flathead fishing lakes is Lake Bistineau southeast of Shreveport. While anglers on the Mississippi might utilize rods and reels to haul out oversized blue catfish, the profusion of trees and brush makes it practically impossible to consider using the same type of equipment on Lake Bistineau. Thus, Bistineau catfishermen generally set out limb lines baited with live bream to entice bites from Bistineau's big Ops.
    Last edited by Ictalurus_furcatus; 12-17-2007 at 01:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The blue cat loves the winter time too. This is the only time I catfish because they are so easy to catch and me and my partners are the only idiots on the lake fishing for them in the freezing cold. A few days back I took some folks out and they had a blast. We caught 35 fish in 3 1/2 hours. the total weight was at 180 lbs. These were not monster fish or anything but the fast action makes up for the size. I have a few pics here of that day. I did not have time to get good pics because I was to busy baiting hooks, casting out ,and taking fish of the hook. I managed to get a few pics between fish. You will see a trailor in the background of one pic, there is a blue drum it. We filled that drum up with fish weighing from 3 to 15 pounds apiece. Oh yeah, the water was only about three foot deep. Thats blows my mind that those fish are up in there in the freezing water. This was just a shallow mud flat.
    Attachment 14952

Attachment 14953
    Last edited by england; 04-03-2008 at 07:14 PM.
    Biguns only:D