PDA

View Full Version : Rude people ?

bentpole
11-24-2007, 07:43 AM
You judge. Was fishing on a ledge, I have never seen anyone fish it before except me & a friend of mine,Anyway had out 2 bouy markers about 50 yards apart,plan was to work the ledge between the markers,When here came a boat he threw out a marker about 15-20 yards from mine pulled up closer to mine then threw out his anchor,Not one time did they cast toward theirs,Threw to mine the whole time.:mad:
Is that rude or what would you have done? Mark,,

stinkies daddy
11-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Unless you own the lake there is not much you can really do! I agree 100% with your feelings on this 1, but you can't controll what others will do. If it were me I would just leave, fire up the big motor and make like a bakery truck. The route in which you choose to make your departure is up to you, also tell every body that will listen what happened and include a description. On the other hand they may not even known what they were doing! I was fishing a dock when another boat showed and meandered around til he got an invite, not a prob.

chaunc
11-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Just last spring the same thing happened to me. I took my brother and his buddy to a lake they dont fish often or well. I do. So i found some fish and threw the bouy out and was trolling and casting and hammering the fish. A boat with 3 guys pulls up and drops their anchor within casting distance of my marker. First i ask them, nicely, that i found these fish, how about finding your own. They ignored me so i pulled my boat between them and my marker and held it there while my brother fished. 15 minutes goes by and the guys pulled up anchor and moved around to the other side of my marker.:eek: So i pulled in between them and my marker and again told them to find their own fish. After another 15 or 20 minutes and my brother still catching fish every cast, the guys finally pull anchor and leave. I know it's public water. It's a big lake. They should have to work just as hard as i did to find a school of slabs. Next time someone does that to you, do what i did. Dont be imtimidated by others, especially after YOU worked hard to find a good spot. I dont mind sharing a spot with a friend that i invite to join in but i wont get bogarted by anyone.

shipahoy41
11-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Been a long time since I heard bogarted Chaunc. There are some very rude and mean spitited people out there these days. Be careful, if they are that rude, they are probably packing heat too. There are some real fools out there with boat rage and no class.

stinkies daddy
11-24-2007, 09:16 AM
i wont get bogarted by anyone. Bogated
thats funny right there

they are probably packing heat too.

I pack heat also, but only cuz I dont wanna be killed for lack of being able to shoot back!

crappiekeith
11-24-2007, 09:19 AM
That's a tough situation I'll admit.50 test line on a daredevil casted over their line ,then ooops I caught you !
Sorry.......A few times of that should be enough to get them to move.

father of 4
11-24-2007, 09:59 AM
That would tick me off as well. A fella should never move into another fellas fishin spot unless he is properly invited, public lake or not.

gabowman
11-24-2007, 10:01 AM
No doubt it was a rude act but you probably did the right thing by just moving. Fishing is supposed to be a fun relaxing outing and getting all heated over a fishing spot wont do anything but make for a bad day. I know...been there and done that. As bad as it is that you did all the work and found the fish some people just dont get it.:(

chaunc
11-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Been a long time since I heard bogarted Chaunc. There are some very rude and mean spitited people out there these days. Be careful, if they are that rude, they are probably packing heat too. There are some real fools out there with boat rage and no class.
Ship, no dis-respect to anyone, but these were Amish guys at Mosquito lake. But as upset as i was, it wouldn't have mattered who it was. Bentpole, stay tough.

DENNIS WILLIS
11-24-2007, 10:35 AM
I agree with Chaunc, there are lots of fish and places to fish without fishing where someone else has done thier homework and found a good spot. I was fishing a bass tourney on Lanier this year and was on some good topwater fish when another boat fishing the same tourney saw the fish comming up and stoped and started casting to them well I threw out my big spook and caught his line and he said you crossed my line, well i jerked hard as I COULD(trying to rip the rod out of his hands) and told him that if he was close enough for me to cross thats to close.Rules stated you can not fish within 100 yards of another boat, and this guy was a well know tournment fisherman.Good holes are to hard to find just to get run off of, I will allways stand my ground....Dennis

sticksteer
11-24-2007, 12:34 PM
I was fishing brushpile on hump one morning and had a guy come from across the lake and ask me to move off the spot. He said he was fishing a bass tourney and this was one of his go to spots for the tourney. After I refused his invitation to find another spot he cussed me like a dog gave me the finger and cut a big doughnut around my boat. I bet he owns a jet ski as well !

beagle man
11-24-2007, 12:36 PM
tough call happens to me a lot I handle it varous ways and the boat trick works real well. some people are just stupid, If they had said. notice you were catchin fish, we cant mind if we join so we can learn... oh well

goldwingtiny
11-24-2007, 12:38 PM
they are probably packing heat too.

I pack heat also, but only cuz I dont wanna be killed for lack of being able to shoot back![/QUOTE]

We think alike my friend! Especially when I have other family member's in the boat. Doin' whatever it takes to protect them.

JOHNS
11-24-2007, 01:19 PM
I am new to freshwater fishing and would someone tell me the "common courtesy things" to do or not to do when fishing around another boat.

I am very sincere and serious.

I know common sense would tell you not to anchor 20 " feet away but i don't understand the "buoy deal".

Any help

John

sticksteer
11-24-2007, 01:34 PM
You normally throw out marker bouys to mark a brushpile or section of ledge you want to fish. The bouys are there as a reference for you to be able to keep your boat on on or between the spot. If you see some one with markers out let them have that area and don't try and horn in on their spot. A lot of boaters will see your marker out and pull up on you trying to find out what your fishing, kinda like a dadburn turtle seeing a bobber. let them leave before you try fishing that area.

FisherMike
11-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Johns the buoy deal is, say you pull up on a ledge and find fish on it. Throw out a buoy out on both ends on the ledge to get a visual on exactly where the ledge. It makes it easier to stay on the ledge. That way you don't have to keep looking at your electronics to stay on top. Makes it much easier on a windy day too.

If a guy has a couple of markers out that aren't too far apart. It's best to gust stay away and find your own spot.

But,,,,,, if a guy has a line of markers that are a mile long? If you can fish somewhere else. Do so. If not,,,,, do what you want.

We have quite a bit of that problem while walleye fishing up here. We throw lines of markers out to show humps and bumps or weed lines. Most of the people respect them. Although there are a few.

Sorry StickSteer I was typing while you were posting.

painterfish
11-24-2007, 01:45 PM
that was one of the tips on crappie fishing 101 by ernest paty he paints his bouys black says there almost invisable to other boaters

sticksteer
11-24-2007, 01:49 PM
I paint mine as well, it really works. If you get to far from them they are hard for me to see.

JOHNS
11-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Thanks, any info to me is really new!

Again, I guess it is all common sense.

John

GRIZZ
11-24-2007, 03:30 PM
I think I will have to disagree with several of you guys. I live on a lake that can get fairly crowded with crappie anglers when the bite is on, and when that is the case I'm typically jerkin them out of the water one right after the other. Its a sure thing that boats will start pulling up and anchoring around where I'm catching fish. My rule of thumb from much experience dealing with crowded lakes is this.

1. The lake is public so they have a right to fish where they want to, as do I.

2. If they pull up away from my spot, and cast into it without interfering with me, thats ok, but if they pull in between me and my fish or anchor right on top of me, they are first going to get a polite request to pull away and not to ruin the spot where I'm getting fish, and if they ignore that they are going to get an very irritating lecture on lake etiquette that I have streamlined and polished over the years to be intolerable to those who deserve it. I will go on till they leave, and trust me they leave. lol

3. Beyond verbal tactics I never use physical force or boat maneuvering tactics to preserve a spot. The fact is you can either be a good guy or a bad guy, and when you start talking about doing donuts around people and casting at them, or carrying a gun your crossing the line in my opinion.

I have had as many as 10 boats pull up and anchor around me on the lake where I was getting them and if I pulled the stuff you guys are suggesting I would have missed out on some fine on water friendships that I have kept up over the years. You can't expect others to have common courtesy on the lake if your not willing to do unto other as you would like then to do unto you. Those times when all those boats pulled up to me I usually still kept catching fish, and its kinda fun to yank the fish out while other sit there and wonder what I'm doing that they are not. A friendly and kind word with a smile can go a long way, and most people, and I say most because I know there are jerks out there, will respond in kind if your are polite and friendly to them.

In 30 yrs on the water I have never needed a gun on the water and if I did I'd find somewhere to fish where I didn't need one.

rockmike
11-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Running a business and forty years of marriage provide all the irritations I need in life. I fish to relax, and if I need a gun to protect my fishing spot, I'll just move. I have found a GPS pretty handy for not disclosing my spots.

DTG
11-24-2007, 04:29 PM
throw your markers 20 yds from mat and fish through them occasionally they may get your bouys but not your spot. With new sidescans they gonna findem maybe they will put mats out too.(i doubt it but maybe)

stinkies daddy
11-24-2007, 06:05 PM
In 30 yrs on the water I have never needed a gun on the water and if I did I'd find somewhere to fish where I didn't need one.

I agree completly

I fish to relax, and if I need a gun to protect my fishing spot, I'll just move.

Again I agree completly

but............................. lets say for the sake of sayin, that a less than honorable person with less than honorable intentions means to do you or your 5 year old child harm (http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r133/stinkiesdaddy/DSC01089-1.jpg)............... then what? Well Sir, no disrespect intended, I think I'll continue to carry my pistol. I also have no problem shooting some dope fiend to protect my daughter

bentpole
11-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Great replie here from all,But what really got me on it was the fellow throwing out his marker:confused: ,Then never looking back at it, just fished mine.I took it like a man & fished on plus kept catching fish,
The fellow did later started bragging on us for the fish we was catching,& I was polite to him(Didn't make me like him):D,even offered him some minners,Sure am glad the old me didn't come out,HEHE.
I'm no where close to knowing it all or the best on Crappie,But I don't have a hard time finding them most of the time.(repeat most of the time:D )Well maybe some of the time:( ,But that guy is rude:p If it comes up again over there I think I will handle it diff-:mad: :mad: .MARK ,,,,,

robert-thompson
11-24-2007, 09:50 PM
quote "if your not willing to do unto other as you would like then to do unto you. "
Grizz
I Appreciate your comment If I'm not mistaken a man named Jesus said the same thing and he is where our hope lies. and he urged us to freely forgive and to "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

DTG
11-24-2007, 10:10 PM
why take a gun fishing? It aint that bad yet. Plus you ll do something you regret like get killed.

kycreek
11-25-2007, 07:19 AM
Great post Grizz. Couldn't have said it better. There are some rude ( or stupid ) people in this world. Just have to make the best of it.

goldwingtiny
11-25-2007, 07:28 AM
I would NEVER take a handgun fishing to protect a fishing spot. I have way too much respect for human life, and way too many entries in my gps for that kind of nonsense. I will however, ALWAYS carry a handgun fishing to protect myself and my family.

If any of you think that there are no drunk's and drug addict's or people with just plain bad intentions out on the water, I have some land to sell you.:D

stinkies daddy
11-25-2007, 07:48 AM
I would NEVER take a handgun fishing to protect a fishing spot. I have way too much respect for human life, and way too many entries in my gps for that kind of nonsense. I will however, ALWAYS carry a handgun fishing to protect myself and my family.

If any of you think that there are no drunk's and drug addict's or people with just plain bad intentions out on the water, I have some land to sell you.:D

This was my point exactly, and the bad people don't just have to be limited to the water. You may be getting gas or at an atm or just stopped at a stop light.

I may not have been very clear in the begining. Taking a gun on the boat is not to protect the boat or to run some one off of a fishing spot, THATS JUST IGNERT! and as far as my pistol you'd never know it was there til it was needed as a last resort

father of 4
11-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Well when i lived in east Texas I carried a gun on the boat a lot. Yep if them fish werent biting, I would go squirrel hunting hehe.

chaunc
11-25-2007, 09:23 AM
I need an opinion here. I dont pack and i'm almost positve none of my close fishing friends do either. Not sure if you guys that do, do so to be cautious, or are living in fear. Is being prepared for anything that CAN happen, the same as LOOKING for it to happen? Personally, i've never felt the need to pack. Some guys say packing makes them bolder, which to me, says they have some kind of fear. My question is, why does packing give a person a sense of security? Seems like if both guys argueing are packing, nothing good can come from it. I'm not calling anyone out so dont get offended by this post. Just want some opinions, thats all.

Fishn N Wishn
11-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Well in my part of Va,if you get caught "packing" as most calls it on the water.We would be 1 less person on water...cause you are going to jail and your boat will be confiscated to be sold to probably the one you was packing for.

DENNIS WILLIS
11-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Well for me it's like the old saying, I would rather have it and not need it as to need it and not have it, and also don't ever pull a gun unless you are ready to use it.You won't catch me at a gunfight with a knife.I'm am a peacefull man but will be sure that no harm comes to my loved ones, and don't tote one to keep fish safe....Dennis

goldwingtiny
11-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Hey Fishin N Wishin,
Love your B.S. Meter. that's cool!

goldwingtiny
11-25-2007, 10:16 AM
That's right Dennis, the fish can 'fend for themselves!

stinkies daddy
11-25-2007, 10:24 AM
I need an opinion here. I dont pack and i'm almost positve none of my close fishing friends do either. Not sure if you guys that do, do so to be cautious, or are living in fear. Is being prepared for anything that CAN happen, the same as LOOKING for it to happen? Personally, i've never felt the need to pack. Some guys say packing makes them bolder, which to me, says they have some kind of fear. My question is, why does packing give a person a sense of security? Seems like if both guys argueing are packing, nothing good can come from it. I'm not calling anyone out so dont get offended by this post. Just want some opinions, thats all.

With the world being what it is today, with phedophiles and child murders, and GOD only knows what else. YES SIR i do have a fear. The only way some one is gonna harm my child is to kill me first. I carry my pistol just to even the odds. Does carrining my gun make me bolder? NOPE! on the contrary it makes me more cautious, I know what the outcome can be.
If you want my spot bad enough to act like a butt then take it, I'll move. If you want the boat or the truck, take them, stupid to risk life over material posessions. BUT if you mean to do harm to my lil girl, IT'S ON. Harm to her is the only situation that would require me to go for my gun. I was anti terrorist in the millitary, I carried a side arm for many years, went to the range every 3 months, have been thru so many drills training and classes that I know what to do in most situations.

I'm sure that all of you would die to save a child, me carring a gun is just my oppinion on how I should conduct myself. If we were to go fishing together in my boat you would never even know it was there, but you would be glad it was if we needed it!

jon the fisherman
11-25-2007, 11:05 AM
I would rather be tried by twelve as carried by six.....I carry when night fishing in the summer, because the boat ramp is dark and is rural. I would hate to come back at 4 a.m. and get robbed by some meth head who does not care about human life.

goldwingtiny
11-25-2007, 12:12 PM

Stinkies Daddy said it best. Thank You S.D. Good Job! Please allow to add.

Seems like if both guys argueing are packing, nothing good can come from it.

The one who is "Licenced To Carry" is going to be the first to "back down." This is the one that is considerate of human life. This is the last one that wants confrontation. This is the one that not only knows the laws of this great country of our's, but also abides by them. This is also the one that works for what he has.

I could never imagine loss of life over a fishing spot. I doubt (and pray) that it will ever happen. If you were to confront me over a fishing spot, I'll "back down" and move to another. Even though, chances are the brush pile you just pushed me off of was there because I put it there. I worked for the fish I was pulling off of it! If you confront me at the boat ramp, for what ever reason, or the gas station or ATM or where-ever, I'll "back down." YES, I too, live in fear. Just PLEASE, don't ever ask me to "surrender" my life or the live's of my loved one's.

It is not about being bolder. It is not about "Looking For it To Happen." Nobody would ever want it to happen. Please don't judge us to be "Gun Totin' Rednecks" because we won't "surrender" life to those whom have no respect for it. The use of a fire arm should always be a "LAST" resort!

wannabe fisherman
11-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Seems like if both guys arguing are packing, nothing good can come from it.

True story not fishing but goes to this statement.
2 men got in an argument at a 4 way stop(in a shopping center no less) one an average joe with a bit of temper and the other a retired cop with a questionable record. officials won't release all the info on this pending investigation, but now the average Joe has half of his skull missing. the retired cop in still on the street a gun was found in the console of Joe's Hummer which was open, not fired,the cop's gun had been fired nine times. He even got out of his car while shooting at Joe. Both had permits to carry and no one knows if Joe flashed his gun or not. The case is before the grand jury as of this time.

JOHNS
11-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Retired LAPD here.

I always carry "protection" for my family and self.

It's too bad things are the way they are!

John

SpeckWick
11-25-2007, 01:15 PM
If I am on the water for fun and a tournament is going on and a guy fishing it asks nicely enough, I will let him fish through a spot. As long as it looks like he was heading there anyway and not just lurking and watching me catch fish only to decide he wants in on the action. Chances are he won't be there long, as most times in tournaments you are moving around quite a bit and only looking for the more active and bigger fish. As for the lurkers, tournament or not, that really ticks me off. But aside from asking them to give you space or whatever, what can you really do? It's not worth fighting over a spot, or dealing with the aggrivation. Chances are, if you were able to find the spot you are on, you kind find another like it that holds fish. Just leave the spot with the knowledge that you will most definitely outfish that guy every time out. If someone has to cut in on another guy's fish, they likely aren't good enough to find their own.
As far as tournament anglers cutting in on other tournament anglers, that's another story all together. I was fishing a crappie tournament earlier this year, trolling a break line between a large flat and a river channel. One of the other tournament teams was coming through a nearby wakw zone, and clearly was able to see what we were doing. Just as we were coming up on a steep drop where we had picked up good fish on a previous pass, he cuts us off and begins casting into the drop. We watched him pull out at least three solid keepers, then he fires up the big motor and runs right through the area we were trolling. Bad enough he cut us off, but then to tear up the spot that way......Anyway, my partner and I decided it wasn't worth fighting over, even though they did finish ahead of us that day. The oppurtunity to repay them will come around. I usually respect another guy's spots, but with that particular team, I can't guaruntee the same respect. As much moving as most teams do in the course of a tournament, you can always come back to a spot if you are heading there and see another person fishing it. And most do. You will always have your jerks out there, no matter where you are.

LazyJ
11-25-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm selling my boat this spring and taking up tennis, healthier hobby than fishing and obviously much less risk of getting shot. I quit hunting at 40, fishing at 50, hate golf, surely tennis will be a "relaxing" passtime for me till I kick the bucket.

Good topic, brought to light why I don't enjoy fishing as much as I used to.

gabowman
11-25-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm selling my boat this spring and taking up tennis, healthier hobby than fishing and obviously much less risk of getting shot. I quit hunting at 40, fishing at 50, hate golf, surely tennis will be a "relaxing" passtime for me till I kick the bucket.

Good topic, brought to light why I don't enjoy fishing as much as I used to.

?!? :confused: You probably wont like tennis either.:eek: :D :) :D

rockmike
11-25-2007, 04:28 PM
I have never felt threatened while on the water. I occasionally will take my pistol with me when I launch on remote bars on the White Rvr---there has gotten to be some real spooks wandering around in recent years, But I generally don't think about having a firearm in my vehicle.

ShilohRed
11-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Mark I have had the same think happen lots of times here. A few years ago. I did let my red hair get the best of me. And after telling what I was about to do to his head. He told me he was sorry and did not think he was doing anything wrong.
From then on, He will see me and turn and head the other way. Would not have gotten hot with him. But my wife was in the boat. And he should have not told me what he did.
Would I do it different now. I just don't' know. But Mark be good and keep catching fish.
Pete

Fessum
11-25-2007, 07:47 PM
I had some old guys cut me off and fish within 10 feet of me this spring at Big Sandy here in Tennessee. I figured they were locals and I let them go on and fish, well the second time, one told me I was in their way....they had crossed the lake to fish beside me....So..I gave them a proper cussing..and after about 5 minutes they left..but i was mad the rest of the day.