Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hey Moose

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Moose

I see where you upgraded from 98SE to XP. I also have 98SE with 667 mh processor and 256 mb of Ram. I really don't know what those numbers mean when it comes to upgrading. What hardware did you have to buy and would I be better off to just get a new computer. I like the Dell that I presently have and would like to update if possible.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Dell Dimention XPS T 550 that I got in 1999 July. I updated and installed a 1 Gigahertz Intel CPU on a slot one things. I had to go to Dell and download a flash bios update from their web site. I downloaded that program onto a 3 1/2" floppy and then used the floppy to flash my ROM bios on my computer. There are good articles on the Dell Forums on how to do that. This one guy gave out step by step directions on how to install a new CPU in the Dell Dimension Comptuers and he even gave pictures on how to do that. It helps me figure out how to do that.

That is what I would recommend that you do if you don't get a new system.

Getting a new system would improve a lot of things. A new power supply, a new Case and a new motherboard would allow you to update to the latest Intel P4 CPU's. And then you can use the faster memory modules that they have today. Also the front side busses are much faster with the new motherboards. The newer MB come with the PCI Express Graphic's slots that run faster than the older AGP 4x to 8X slots. So you can take advantage of the newer Video cards that are coming out. If you are a gamer like me then you will appreciate the faster graphics cards and other improvments in your speed. Also the newer hard drives spin faster and store more information and use RAID controllers that work better than what I have.

My system is 6 yerars old but it's running some of the newest games with pretty good speed still.

I have three stixs of 256MB each in my system. By going to the new WindowsXP OS it allows me to better use all my ram that I have purchased over the last 6 years. My computer came with only one stick of 256 ram. I have three ram slots on my computer. I have purchased two additional sticks of 256 MB ram over the last six years. The last stick I got just this spring because I was working with huge graphic files doing my Patoka Lake Digital maps. Windows98SE is not really designed for using over 512MB or ram and you have to trick the windows98 OS into using all that the ram that I had.

WindowsXP will work with 1500MB or ram right out of the box so I am glad that I have all the ram now.

All you really need to do to make an older computer run much better is to update the ram and switch to the new Microsoft Operating Systems. Windows 2000 also will work good and from what I have been reading the new WindowsXP OS is very similar to windows 2000 with lots of new things added to it.

Any computer can benefit from a newly installed Operating system as over time the registry gets corrupted when you add new programs and delete programs etc. So a fresh install really picks up the speed of the computer

Dell sells new super fast computers for 3000 to 4000 bucks and they come with about years of in home support and service. I learned a lot from the Dell Techs talking to them over the phone. They taught me how to reformat and reinstall new devices over the three year period of my inhome contract.

I highly recommend that if you do go with a new dell that you buy additional service time for it. It will pay big dividens unless you already know all there is to know about computer maintainance. It's worth the extra $100 bucks to have more time on the service contract. That way you can call Dell tech support anytime day or night and get help. I had many a times when my computer crashed and I had to start all over again. Without the help of the dell tech supports I would not have found crappie.com and would have been off the net a long time ago.

Anohter thing that I recommend is a back up system for your files. I use an external hard drive that is portable and connects to my system via a USB 2.0 port. I get good speed and did I mention it's protable?

I have a book that I got from the bookstore. It's called "Special Edition Using Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition". I got it about two years ago when my uncle got his new Dell with Windows XP installed on it. I got it to read so that I could learn Windows XP better. I just started to really read it this last two weeks though. Still muddling my way though it

Bottom line is that you can update your cpu and flash your bios if necessary and see if you can find some more Ram for your present system. That and reformat your hard drive and install Windows XP home edition and you should be good to go for another 3 years or more.

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    I see where you upgraded from 98SE to XP. I also have 98SE with 667 mh processor and 256 mb of Ram. I really don't know what those numbers mean when it comes to upgrading. What hardware did you have to buy and would I be better off to just get a new computer. I like the Dell that I presently have and would like to update if possible.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Moose

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    I have a Dell Dimention XPS T 550 that I got in 1999 July. I updated and installed a 1 Gigahertz Intel CPU on a slot one things. I had to go to Dell and download a flash bios update from their web site. I downloaded that program onto a 3 1/2" floppy and then used the floppy to flash my ROM bios on my computer. There are good articles on the Dell Forums on how to do that. This one guy gave out step by step directions on how to install a new CPU in the Dell Dimension Comptuers and he even gave pictures on how to do that. It helps me figure out how to do that.

That is what I would recommend that you do if you don't get a new system.

Getting a new system would improve a lot of things. A new power supply, a new Case and a new motherboard would allow you to update to the latest Intel P4 CPU's. And then you can use the faster memory modules that they have today. Also the front side busses are much faster with the new motherboards. The newer MB come with the PCI Express Graphic's slots that run faster than the older AGP 4x to 8X slots. So you can take advantage of the newer Video cards that are coming out. If you are a gamer like me then you will appreciate the faster graphics cards and other improvments in your speed. Also the newer hard drives spin faster and store more information and use RAID controllers that work better than what I have.

My system is 6 yerars old but it's running some of the newest games with pretty good speed still.

I have three stixs of 256MB each in my system. By going to the new WindowsXP OS it allows me to better use all my ram that I have purchased over the last 6 years. My computer came with only one stick of 256 ram. I have three ram slots on my computer. I have purchased two additional sticks of 256 MB ram over the last six years. The last stick I got just this spring because I was working with huge graphic files doing my Patoka Lake Digital maps. Windows98SE is not really designed for using over 512MB or ram and you have to trick the windows98 OS into using all that the ram that I had.

WindowsXP will work with 1500MB or ram right out of the box so I am glad that I have all the ram now.

All you really need to do to make an older computer run much better is to update the ram and switch to the new Microsoft Operating Systems. Windows 2000 also will work good and from what I have been reading the new WindowsXP OS is very similar to windows 2000 with lots of new things added to it.

Any computer can benefit from a newly installed Operating system as over time the registry gets corrupted when you add new programs and delete programs etc. So a fresh install really picks up the speed of the computer

Dell sells new super fast computers for 3000 to 4000 bucks and they come with about years of in home support and service. I learned a lot from the Dell Techs talking to them over the phone. They taught me how to reformat and reinstall new devices over the three year period of my inhome contract.

I highly recommend that if you do go with a new dell that you buy additional service time for it. It will pay big dividens unless you already know all there is to know about computer maintainance. It's worth the extra $100 bucks to have more time on the service contract. That way you can call Dell tech support anytime day or night and get help. I had many a times when my computer crashed and I had to start all over again. Without the help of the dell tech supports I would not have found crappie.com and would have been off the net a long time ago.

Anohter thing that I recommend is a back up system for your files. I use an external hard drive that is portable and connects to my system via a USB 2.0 port. I get good speed and did I mention it's protable?

I have a book that I got from the bookstore. It's called "Special Edition Using Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition". I got it about two years ago when my uncle got his new Dell with Windows XP installed on it. I got it to read so that I could learn Windows XP better. I just started to really read it this last two weeks though. Still muddling my way though it

Bottom line is that you can update your cpu and flash your bios if necessary and see if you can find some more Ram for your present system. That and reformat your hard drive and install Windows XP home edition and you should be good to go for another 3 years or more.

I really appreciate the response. I have printed it and will discuss it with our neighbor's son who knows a lot about this stuff. It is a litle over my head. I will keep you posted on what I decide to do...DG

Post Thanks / Like

hey DonG:
    Check out this web site:
    www.tomshardware.com

This web site has a lot of good information. Most of it's over my head too. But the kids know a lot about this stuff. My uncle has a kid that cuts his grass that helps him with his Dell computer.

So if you have a neighbor kid that is into computer you are half way there.

You can have a computer built locally if you can find a good shop. They may be able to get you up and running with a new system for 1/2 of what Dell will charge. And they can also help you update your present computer.

Take your time and do the research and if you have any detailed questions just hollor. I will try to help if I can. I am no expert and have gotten a lot of my knowledge for experts on the gaming sites. I learned a lot about computers so that I could play computer games LOL But I seemed to spend more time tweaking my computer than actually playing games.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    hey DonG:
    Check out this web site:
    www.tomshardware.com

This web site has a lot of good information. Most of it's over my head too. But the kids know a lot about this stuff. My uncle has a kid that cuts his grass that helps him with his Dell computer.

So if you have a neighbor kid that is into computer you are half way there.

You can have a computer built locally if you can find a good shop. They may be able to get you up and running with a new system for 1/2 of what Dell will charge. And they can also help you update your present computer.

Take your time and do the research and if you have any detailed questions just hollor. I will try to help if I can. I am no expert and have gotten a lot of my knowledge for experts on the gaming sites. I learned a lot about computers so that I could play computer games LOL But I seemed to spend more time tweaking my computer than actually playing games.

Thanks Moose, I would prefer to upgrade my present computer if possible. Thanks for the Website....

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation come on DG ....

turn loose of some of that moldy green !! ....LOL!!! :D

Hey ... if the geek kid can help you with "upgrading" - then he probably knows enough about computers to tell you which way would be cheaper and give you the biggest bang for your buck - buying the hardware/software/memory to upgrade ... or buying an "already" set up system. Most new systems (even the cheaper models) have XP Home as their OS. The cheaper systems usually have the video & audio cards built into the Motherboard, and share memory (that saves 2-3 hundred bucks).

I paid $1500 for my system ... 4yrs ago. I can buy a whole new system that would blow this one away, for less than half of that.

Check the Dell ads for specials .... also -- look on www.tigerdirect.com for "build it yourself" systems, system components (memory, hard drives, motherboards, etc), or their "already set up" systems.

You can only "upgrade" as far as your Motherboard is capable of handling ... you can only put as much memory in as you have capacity for (on the Motherboard slots) ... you have to use the same "type" memory (SDRAM, DDRAM, DDR2RAM, etc) that your system is configured for ... you may have to get a bigger power supply, if you get more "upgrades" than the current one can keep cool or power (run). And you may even have to get a USB hub to connect your externals (printer, scanner, "backup" hard drive, etc), if you don't have any open slots.

Hey buddy .... you can't stay "old school" forever .... ............cp