Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pond

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pond

Hi,

We fish a buddies pond that has black crappie in it....Me and my buddy have some porcupines, buckets with pvc and one bamboo condo.. Mostly around the dock....Also the owner of the lake has dropped some xmas trees in the pond in various depths...Can anyone give any advice on what else we can do to make the crappie fishing better in the pond?...I think as far as bait fish in the pond it is good....Me and my buddy are going to drop some more porcupines in deep water and one of the pond condos by Ernest this weekend.....Anyone have any other suggestions?....Should we put some stake beds in the pond in shallower etc?....Just trying to get some more structure for the crappie/fish in before bad weather hits..

I have a picture of some black crappie we caught out of the pond from a month or so back....This crappie where just stocked in late March of this year...I want to post the picture but the picture has too many kbs or something like that...

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye
    Last edited by jcd; 11-22-2007 at 09:57 PM.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Stake beds sure wouldn't hurt. Depending on the size of the pond, you'll need predator fish aka large mouth bass to help keep the crappie from over populating. Black crappie are a little less apt to over populate but it can still happen. Also keep a good supply of bait fish for forage like fat head minnows and grass and brush growing in the edge of the water will help give small fish hididng places and crappie ambush cover. Good Luck

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Speckhunter,

What's up?...Yeah I had a long discussion with the local biologist on if it was a good idea to stock the black crappie in the pond or not?...He said stock it once and keep every crappie that is worth keeping....Plus he also said don't take any bass out of the pond...The pond has some really nice size bass in it and really big blue gill...I probably will purchase some small bass next spring and drop them in the pond....Just to try and help keep crappie population stable....We might put some stake beds in this weekend..It's pretty cold here in Illinois...So, not sure if we will do it this weekend or not?..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye
    Last edited by jcd; 11-22-2007 at 09:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Anyone know how to make kbs smaller to post pictures on here?....I want to post the picture of the crappie we caught out of the pond earlier this year..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Send your picture to [email protected] and I'll getit posted for ya!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gabowman,

Thanks for info..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

JCD's picture...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

The picture of the black crappie are ones me and my buddy caught about a month ago or so....We stocked these black crappie in late March of this year...The crappie where only 2-3 inches long when we stocked them.....Pretty good growth for about 7 months...Hope to catch some 10 inchers plus next year out of the pond..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye
    Last edited by jcd; 11-23-2007 at 03:21 PM.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

That's fast growth. Sure there was'nt some Crappie there before? I would build some stakebeds in different depths of water. If the Bass are already in the pond stocking more should not be needed. If there is enough cover natural reproduction should take care of stocking. Please post your catches every few months so we can see growth rates.

Thanks NIMROD.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nimrod,

There was no black crappie in this pond before we stocked it...We had been fishing that pond for the last three years and never did catch a black crappie...The pond is out on in a farm field with some timber around the pond..I think only a few people are allowed to fish this pond....We are going to drop three porcupines in deep water this weekend...Plus, I am working on making one of those pond condo's by Ernest.....We plan putting some stakebeds in this weekend...If weather permits.....

We stocked 200 black crappie in early March of this year....We have caught 21 black crappie out of the pond so far...

I will keep everyone updated with pictures of the crappie we catch out of the pond..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast