Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crappie Eggs?????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Eggs?????

Has anyone ever tried eating them? Cooked? There sure are plenty of them if they are good to eat. Hey....I'll do it! :p

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have cooked and tried them ......pretty tasty ....

Post Thanks / Like

My grandfather always ate them....he would fry them along with the fish....he did not believe in fileting a fish he would also eat the fins and tales.

Post Thanks / Like

Default dog loves them

My dog Maggie loves them. When I'm out filleting them she'll hand around wagging her tale wanted me to flip the egg sacs to her. Boy she loves them things. Makes her coat nice and shiny to. :D

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

my mother would not eat the fish but she loved crappie roe so I guess it taste good. I have never tried it but I think I will now that I am older. It seemed gross as a kid.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Default people eat sturgeon eggs.....

People eat sturgeon eggs and call it caviar and pay a chit load for it. I guess if they can eat sturgeon eggs, crappie eggs should be just as good too! To me it seems like it would have a very fishy taste to it. I might just stick with the fillets and give all them innards to the dog. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that some people are repulsed by the idea, but yes, the roe of crappies is delicious. I prefer my fish battered in cornmeal or cornmeal & flour & fried. Treat the roe the same way. Same goes for bass & bluegills, & other sunfishes. Big negatory on the catfish. I have never tried them, but have always be told not to eat catfish eggs.

After all, caviar, which I have never had, is nothing more than the fish eggs of a certain kind of fish. And people pay very big bucks, I'm told, for caviar. I guess it's all what you get used to. I've been enjoying them since I was a child and that's been a LONG time.

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

I tried eating fish eggs when I was younger and didn't like it. Maybe I as grossed out and didn't give it a chance. I know that people crave caviar and that is just fish eggs from Sturgeons.

From what I have read so far it seems that the majority of responders like the crappie eggs. I can see where a dog would eat them as they are rich in nutrients.

Eggs are natures best food. They give the young fish everthing they need to grow and reach a larger size. They must be full of the best nutrients and vitamins to ensure the next generation survives and prospers and reproduces. Your best meal of the day is said to be breakfast. And the egg yoke is the first breakfast that a young fish eats.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSmitty
    my mother would not eat the fish but she loved crappie roe so I guess it taste good. I have never tried it but I think I will now that I am older. It seemed gross as a kid.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    Has anyone ever tried eating them? Cooked? There sure are plenty of them if they are good to eat. Hey....I'll do it! :p

I have never tried them, might give it a try this year. I do like chicken eggs though, just about any way you make them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frying Some Small Fish

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad
    My grandfather always ate them....he would fry them along with the fish....he did not believe in fileting a fish he would also eat the fins and tales.
    Badbrad talking about grandfather eating fins and tales, as a kid growing up the only place we had to go fishing was the creek and a few small farm ponds when we caught a few pirch ond a few small catfish ( mud cat ) we were happy to git them. We didn't know wnat fileting them was we would fry them whole and glad to get them. Grandfather was corrict in doing this,thair is nothing ( like a good piece og TAIL )

mikeg

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast