Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battery Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery Question

We have three Optima batteries in our boat. 1 crank 2 for elec. and trolling. After hour or so my 997 and 595 read "low voltage" and is a pain in the a>< jackin with it all day long. From what im reading on batteries optimas aint the best elec. and trolling batteries. If they are , can hooking them up in parallel solve my problem A.K.A troll fury? Or should i go back to cheaper battreies with longer reserve>
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I could be wrong, but if it were me, I'd hook all my electronics and accesories to my cranking battery. Just leave the t.m. on the deep cycle batteries. Cant help you with the optima batteries. Heard theyre great, but never actually owned any. Just my .02 cents. . . . .

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DTG
    We have three Optima batteries in our boat. 1 crank 2 for elec. and trolling. After hour or so my 997 and 595 read "low voltage" and is a pain in the a>< jackin with it all day long. From what im reading on batteries optimas aint the best elec. and trolling batteries. If they are , can hooking them up in parallel solve my problem A.K.A troll fury? Or should i go back to cheaper battreies with longer reserve>
    What size wires are going to the unit ?
    How long are the power runs?

Might want to go to bigger wires up to the units.

I think AGM batteries tend to drop more voltge initially than wet cells. But they tend to hold longer once they reach a certain discharge plateau.

Catfan is a battery expert. Maybe he can help.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 11-19-2007 at 09:35 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jh_blount
    I could be wrong, but if it were me, I'd hook all my electronics and accesories to my cranking battery. Just leave the t.m. on the deep cycle batteries. Cant help you with the optima batteries. Heard theyre great, but never actually owned any. Just my .02 cents. . . . .
    Agreed. When you hook your electronics to the TM battery you are much more susceptible to interference. Also when you first hit the go switch on your TM there is a brief surge while the TM prop starts turning. At this time voltage can momentarily drop keying your low voltage alarm.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

ibfishn, thtas it when i hit my tm it comes up
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

we even seperated them helped for a little while but soon come low voltage. I think i was better off with cheap batteries. Never had a problem with them. same boat just added 997. 595 even show voltage low now since we swapped batteries
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

ibfishn, thtas it when i hit my tm it comes up
    I had all sorts of problems until I installed a battery for electronics only. Works for me. Never run my cranker battery down anymore. No more alarms. Have 4 batteries to maintain though. umm

Post Thanks / Like

2 in par. for tm, 1 crank and 1 elec? will one battery pull 997,595 all day? or should i put one of those alternators from crank to elec?
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I added an extra battery for electronics as well. Hook it to you starting battery. It won't run down as fast as you might think. I can run 2 aerator pumps all day, and still crank up fine. I'd try that for a while before I bought all new batteries, or even an extra. Take a set of jumper cables, and crank off of your TM battery if the electronics run you starter battery down.

Post Thanks / Like

2 in par. for tm, 1 crank and 1 elec? will one battery pull 997,595 all day? or should i put one of those alternators from crank to elec?
    I run laptop, 102C, 797 all day (7 hours) without no probs. My laptop draws more current than the 997.

If you are drawing 4-5 amps, an 8 hour day would require 40 ampere-hours.
    You should be able to look this up on a battery characteristic chart and determine the voltage of the battery at this time. I think the alarms go off at below 10 volts.

Find your max current draw and I can look it up. Catfan prob got this info on his desk. ibnfshn might have a chart.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 11-19-2007 at 10:43 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast