Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brim Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brim Jigs

Anyone tie small jigs for brim? If so, what colors work for you in your area and what size jigs/hooks do you use?

I'm trying to immitate a plastic tube that I fish for warmmouth. The last time I used it I was catching nothing but big warmmouth. My buddies were using crickets, worms, and grass shrimp. I outfished them 3 to 1.

The tube was black on top fading to a yellowish orange. I got them from Academy before they closed down the bait bar. I can't find them now so I'm thinking a 1/64 or 1/80 on a #10 hook?
    Your not fishing, unless your crappie fishing!

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a 1/64oz jig with #8 hooks with a chartreuse body and tail. That seems to work best for me. Only the bigger bluegills can really suck it all in.

Post Thanks / Like

I can tie you some, if you're looking to buy some. PM me with what colors and if you want a hair or chenille jig and I'll send you a picture to see if that's what you want.
    I have 1/64th and 1/80th oz. jigs (and bigger) to tie on with very very sharp #8 gold sickle hooks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sacawhat
    Anyone tie small jigs for brim? If so, what colors work for you in your area and what size jigs/hooks do you use?

I'm trying to immitate a plastic tube that I fish for warmmouth. The last time I used it I was catching nothing but big warmmouth. My buddies were using crickets, worms, and grass shrimp. I outfished them 3 to 1.

The tube was black on top fading to a yellowish orange. I got them from Academy before they closed down the bait bar. I can't find them now so I'm thinking a 1/64 or 1/80 on a #10 hook?
    You can use 1/64th oz. in many colors that will work. You can also buy some of the little flies at Walmart that come in a round plastic container, like trout flies and use a split shot with them and they will hit that.

Jigs in black should work and or make some that are black on the front half and yellow on the back half the body.

Something kind of like this (just reverse the colors on the body)...

Lots of colors will work,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

1/80 or 1/64 oz. Grouse Fly here to start with and then if that don't work I go to a Little Pinky....1/64 pink/chart combo....and if push comes to shove I get in the secret box I keep in the bottom back corner of the big box and get out the KILLA'....Custom Painted head and tail combo that it would be dangerous to let out on the bream community......:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrouseFly
    1/80 or 1/64 oz. Grouse Fly here to start with and then if that don't work I go to a Little Pinky....1/64 pink/chart combo....and if push comes to shove I get in the secret box I keep in the bottom back corner of the big box and get out the KILLA'....Custom Painted head and tail combo that it would be dangerous to let out on the bream community......:D
    See....that's not right!
    What's the secret? How about cha pm me with what you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bream Beetles

Here are some beetles I make up with rubber leggs and I also tie some hair jigs with grey squirel tails.
    Last edited by Slabo; 01-25-2008 at 05:25 PM.

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

Post Thanks / Like

I have not tried these Little size #12 bugs I tie, but I bet they are going to work next spring.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Skip let me tell you. You have tied my favorite bluegill fly! Those things ROCK for the gills!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slabologist
    Here are some beetles I make up with rubber leggs and I also tie some hair jigs with grey squirel tails.
    Looks like they do the trick. I saw something like that with white legs. Almost bought them, but figured they wouldn't catch. Guess I was wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast