Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shootin docks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shootin docks

Whats a good setup for dock shootin'?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hey Sticksteer ....

Quote Originally Posted by sticksteer
    Whats a good setup for dock shootin'?
    Pretty much any spinning or spincast outfit, with a 5-6ft long rod, in UL to Med action, will perform the duties of shooting a dock. Beyond that, it's very much personal preference, on everything from brands - reel size - rod action - outfit weight - rod composition - etc.

I'm currently using either of these two outfits :

Quantum graphite UL rod 5ft ... foam handles/reel seat -- Shakespeare Alpha XT 1000 UL reel (casting trigger) - 4lb test Stren Gold mono

Prototype graphite UL rod 5.5ft ... graphite Tenn handle/cork ends/slip rings - Shakespeare Alpha XT 1000 UL reel (casting trigger) - 4lb test Mr Crappie Super hi-vis mono

I have used 6-8ft spinning outfits ... from microlite to M/H action. And, they all work :D once you get the aiming and release timing down (for each different length/action).

Much will depend on the distance you plan to shoot from, as shorter rods are good for close range .. while longer rods (&/or heavier action rods) can be used from a greater distance.

I prefer using spinning tackle, but spincasts will work.

.... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CP, thats exactly the type of info I was looking for. Do you use plain jigs or do roadrunners and other small spinner type baits work better ?

Post Thanks / Like

I have good luck w/ a zebco model 11 triggerspin. The trigger makes timing the release a little easier. I use both roadrunners and plain jigs and both work well.

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot docks 90% of the time and I use the 750 sahara shimano reel on BNM 5' sharpshooter rods. 4# test sensation solar or gamma tournament grade hi vis line. There are a lot of good rods and reels out there but the BNM sharpshooter is the best rod I have found for shooting docks by far. 4# line gives better jig action. I always say when they start breaking the 4# line I'll go to 6#, but it hasn't happened yet.

Post Thanks / Like

by the way, the panfish assassin jig may be the best for shooting docks. Seems to skip up under there the farthest. This is mostly trial and error, hopefully you my benefit from my errors.

Post Thanks / Like

Yjwill, I have a Zebco 11 underspin as well, I put it on a 5 1/2' rod I wasn't using. Practiced on a 5 gal bucket today and it worked great. I'm sure bobbing around in a boat will cut into your accuracy. Lookin' foward to trying it out on a real dock.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I've used both ....

Thanks CP, thats exactly the type of info I was looking for. Do you use plain jigs or do roadrunners and other small spinner type baits work better ?
    and they both produce. I use a Roadrunner, only when I know the dock is open and fairly snag free. Otherwise, I'm shooting with a P&S Custom Tackle 1/32 or 1/16oz ball head / weedless jighead. My plastic body is usually a Panfish Assassin, as I agree with "Green80", that it does seem to skip better than tubes ... especially when using 1/32oz heads. However, I do use and have had luck using hollow tubes, solid body tubes, and Charlie Brewer's paddle tail grubs.
    And, yes ... I even use hair/feather/artificial material types of jigs, as well. I've got some really great looking ones, from Crappie Magic and P&S Custom Tackle. I've never been much of a fan of curly tail type plastics, but they do work.
    And, as I've always said : follow up your dock shooting, with some Vertical Casting ... especially around the outer/deeper posts

Your 5gal bucket practice is mainly for aiming and release timing accuracy. Once you've got that down, you just visualize the dock opening as the 5gal bucket. Boat control and positioning is key to getting a good shot off. I've found it's better to take a little more time, and get off a good shot to your targeted area, than to spray multiple attempts (in an effort to get more shots off). This is especially true when the fish are holding in a tight group, or in a specific spot/depth on the dock. Better, and more accurate presentations, will usually result in more fish.

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Cp, I put the bucket under a trailered john boat and that brought it to a new level of difficulty. Better to knock some paint off one of my boats than somebody elses.This was my first time to shoot a jig , I can see practice will be a must. Like you said, it's all in the timing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Practice does make ....

Thanks Cp, I put the bucket under a trailered john boat and that brought it to a new level of difficulty. Better to knock some paint off one of my boats than somebody elses.This was my first time to shoot a jig , I can see practice will be a must. Like you said, it's all in the timing.
    "near perfect" :p .... 'cause you'll still misfire every now & then, even after having used this method for some time. Don't worry, we all do it :D

One other "tip" ... that you've probably already figured out, since you haven't mentioned it ... is to ALWAYS point the hookpoint AWAY from your fingers/hand, when holding it (for release).

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast