Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use the foodsaver to store fillets?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone use the foodsaver to store fillets?

Was just curious if anyone using their foodsavers to freeze or store their fillets in? Do you add any water to freeze them in or just vacum seal the fillets alone? Would appreciate any info on foodsavers and fillets

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tube4Slabs
    Was just curious if anyone using their foodsavers to freeze or store their fillets in? Do you add any water to freeze them in or just vacum seal the fillets alone? Would appreciate any info on foodsavers and fillets
    I do use one....but, you actually have to do the exact opposite and dry them off really good, so that water does not interfere with the sealing process.....if you have them patted dry with a paper towel first, it works great!!!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GABoy
    I do use one....but, you actually have to do the exact opposite and dry them off really good, so that water does not interfere with the sealing process.....if you have them patted dry with a paper towel first, it works great!!!
    Gaboy's got it right. The vacuum just tries to suck the water out and it won't seal. The bags end up being kinda expensive. I just stack the fillets on a piece of plastic wrap in serving portion amount and wrap them tight. The wrap keeps air from getting to them which is the biggest problem with storage. I freeze the portioned packages in freezer ziplocks and they last for months. Fresh is always the best way to eat em.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I always put a small peice of paper towel in the bag above the fillets to soak up the water before it gets to the sealing area. Foodsavers are GREAT for keeping fillets FRESH!

Post Thanks / Like

My Neighbor Uses One And As Mentioned Before Drying Fillets Is A Must!man They Sure Do Save Room In His Freezer -and He Says That The Fish Will Last A Year!!i"ve Ate Some Of It And It Tasted Pretty Fresh-i"m Planning On Getting One. Good Fishin To Ya!!!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ziplocks with water.....no air. I eat fish a year old all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes and no

I use our Tilia Foodsaver some of the time. The rest of the time, I put the fillets in a freezer bag with water. When using a vacuum packer, the item must be dry or your filter will get clogged. I like it since thawing time is a fraction of what it is with a water-filled bag. However, the material is so outragiously priced, that's it's pretty hard to justify. Ours was a gift and I have used it for years for my garden produce. Now that I'm down to a couple of rolls of the 11" material, I'm using it only for whole trout or large catfish fillets. We see no difference in flavor between vacuum packed crappie and those frozen in a water-filled bag.

I am going to try the new freezer bags that have a liner that clings to the food item like a vacuum bag, though. It may the best of both worlds. -Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow another idea....

...I use the foodsaver..but I prewrap the fillets in "Reynolds Food Service Film" that solves the moisture problem...works well with all types of food...use it for salmon,steaks,crappie,chicken,vegi's....no problems yet :D
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Ya gotta try this!

I can't remember from where or from whom I learned this to give them credit. But this is what I do now, and works awesome!

Bread your fillets in whatever you like, then lay them flat on wax paper and freeze them over night. Put your filet chips in a long food saver bag, and seal them up. Just pull out as many of your filets as you need at a time while they are still frozen, and just reseal the bag. No mess, no freezer burn, no wasted bags, and no mushy/poor tasting filets from soaking up water and it's impurities. Try it and tell me if you don't love it too! Full fryers to ya!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

i got one for christmas this year and fish were some of the first things i used it for. dry the fillets out real well and just let the machine do the rest. i love it. you can stack the bags right on top of each other, and they seem to take up about half the space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast