Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Houston Crappie...Help Needed

algonzo Guest

Question Lake Houston Crappie...Help Needed

Some of you guys may know me from other forums, but this is my first post on crappie.com. I've been reading and learning from this site for a long time, and figured "Where else to get the best crappie advise than Crappie.com?"

I'm extremely new to fishing, and ain't afraid to say that I know nothing about it, but I am very willing to learn. I've been trying to learn everything I can about fishing in the last year, but unfortunately haven't had many outings, or much luck when I did go out. I have a 6 year old son that loves to fish, but unfortunately I haven't been able to take him on a succesful fishing trip yet. I would love to see the day my son reels in his first crappie or bass after a long fight on some ultralight tackle. He likes to run jugs with my, but honestly, that isn't much fun for a kid. He is a fisherman at heart and want's to put on a good fight. I own a 14' Jon boat with a small 6HP and trolling motor, and my brother owns an old 73 15' Silverline; both with depth finders. This weekend we managed come to an agreement with the wives, and scored a monthly fishing pass. WUUUHUUUU.... :D So now we have the boats, the permission, a little bit of tackle, and the desire to catch crappie, but we lack the knowledge and know how to bring home some dinner. I live right down the road from Lake Houston, and have been very interested in jugline fishing, and crappie fishing and plan to master both. OK I'll be happy if atleast catch one fish... which I haven't been able to do yet.

My goal this season is to learn a little more about crappie fishing, and was wondering:

What are some good areas to work on Lake Houston to try and pull a few slabs?

What color lures are most effective on Lake Houston?

I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can provide me that will help me land my sons first fish on Rod and Reel. :D
    Last edited by algonzo; 03-07-2005 at 05:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up could use some help also

Hey,
    don't get to discouraged just yet. the weather and the up and downs of the lake have not done the fishing any good. soon though, when the water warms up just a bit more the crappie will come to you. fished off the end of my pier this past weekend and only caught 2 fish, small ones at that.
    got to run, be back later.
    I Love To Fish and Fish Love Me :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default water temp

fellow crappie chasers,
    at what temp do the fish move to the spawning beds? i forget from year to year. this just in.............water temp now is at 66 degrees. think we must wait till it gets more like 70? if someone knows the answer please let us all know.

what ever it is i will stay at it. still think it needs to be a little warmer.
    see ya, ttfn
    waterking.........not fishking
    Last edited by waterking; 03-07-2005 at 07:00 PM.
    I Love To Fish and Fish Love Me :D

Post Thanks / Like

If todays front doesnt dump much rain. This weekend should be the ticket.
    The gates were closed yesterday so current should not be an issue.
    I would start looking for them to show up in creeks and drains anytime.

most likely depth would be 5-7 foot.

Color depends on water clearity

Post Thanks / Like

Quit frettin Algonzo,I'll be on the lake sunday morn EARLY,I don't think anybody will be with me! If you send me your # I'll give you a tour...none of my freinds can seem to wake up early enough.......

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down was it windy?

Sig70 did ya'll do any good sunday. I was there Sat. way to windy to get anywhere. and they had lock-jaw.