Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sinker mold?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sinker mold?

I wanted some heavier split shot type sinkers and never could find them but did find a mold http://www.do-itmolds.com/prodmolds.aspx?c=80. I got the 1/3 and 1/4 weight one. It works great however the slot it makes for the line is too big to crimp on small line. The company says the B-40 blade is the only one they make for the mold. I managed to make one slightly thinner but if I go as thin as needed I don't get a good mold. Any suggestions? While typing this it occurred to me that maybe lowering the temp on my pot may help. Whatcha think?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I can think of is use multiple smaller split shots or maybe use a pegged egg sinker?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I wanted some heavier split shot type sinkers and never could find them but did find a mold http://www.do-itmolds.com/prodmolds.aspx?c=80. I got the 1/3 and 1/4 weight one. It works great however the slot it makes for the line is too big to crimp on small line. The company says the B-40 blade is the only one they make for the mold. I managed to make one slightly thinner but if I go as thin as needed I don't get a good mold. Any suggestions? While typing this it occurred to me that maybe lowering the temp on my pot may help. Whatcha think?
    you try making the blade out of aluminum ??? its easy to get thin and has a higher melting point then lead and is alot easier to work with then the metal molds are made of.. ive never tried it but just an idea that popped into my head or maybe some other peice of super thin sheet metal

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john h
    you try making the blade out of aluminum ??? its easy to get thin and has a higher melting point then lead and is alot easier to work with then the metal molds are made of.. ive never tried it but just an idea that popped into my head or maybe some other peice of super thin sheet metal
    Thats what I'm experimenting with.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Earl Brink makes a removable 1 once! Maybe you can get in touch with him, I have his # somewhere. Showdown Jigs is his company.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My 2 Cents....

What if you replaced the the blade with a small wire...Let the mold pour a solid round ball with a hole in the center and to use it, just thread your line through it and then back through it again. The line would hold the sinker in place and there would be no pinch on the line, plus you could move it up and down the line if you needed too. But like I said..that's my idea and my 2 cents.....GF

Post Thanks / Like

deleted
    Last edited by pescatore; 12-14-2008 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

send me your addy and I will send ya all the plates you need. I have some out back now and can get you plenty if it works for ya. they are thin sheets of aluminum about as thick as poster paper
    Last edited by guest01; 11-17-2007 at 06:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieday
    send me your addy and I will send ya all the plates you need. I have some out back now and can get you plenty if it works for ya. they are thin sheets of aluminum about as thick as poster paper
    Thanks Crappieday but aluminum is too soft. I solved the problem by tapering the edges of the brass blade that comes with the mold. Now they will crimp on to even #4 line without damaging it.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va