Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Split Shots

Post Thanks / Like

Default Split Shots

Hey got told by a old fisherman today that the removal split shots twist your line alot more over the regular split shots, said the "wings" on the removal type turn more when sinking. anyone else heard of this thanks Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Yup! :D

Post Thanks / Like

That is true and they also will cut your line! I have never been a fan of them as they come off to easily.

Post Thanks / Like

if you hold the line taught while lowering it won't happen...You can also add a swivel to eliminate line twist.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used split shots and what ya'll have just said does make alot of sense. Kind of makes me want to go back to regular lead weights.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Split Shots

I always worried that they will pinch the line to much and weaken the line, and cause a break.

srm

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Haven't noticed .....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kinser
    Hey got told by a old fisherman today that the removal split shots twist your line alot more over the regular split shots, said the "wings" on the removal type turn more when sinking. anyone else heard of this thanks Ken
    any greater "line twisting", from a removable split shot, vs a plain crimp-on type. Then again, when I was using the crimp-on's, I was also using 8lb test mono .. of the 1960's - 70's (the stuff that had SERIOUS memory problems, anyway :p )
    I think the removable split shots are made from a softer lead, too. Can't tell you how many times I cut the line (even that stiff, old stuff), just by mashing the crimp-on split shot onto the line with a set of pliers ... or have the line break, right under the crimp-on sinker (on hookset or pulling free from snag).

I don't really think the "fins/wings", on the removable ones, are what's causing the line twist. If anything, the water pressure on those "wings" is going to force them away from the direction of the downward drop of the sinker .... the same effect should be observed when trolling with them. This would, in effect, tend to stop any spin/twist .... rather than cause it.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

The split shot removable or not can only weakn the line I have steered away from in the last few years I just use a bigger heads or beads and small worm weights!!
    Mr. Plucker

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A simple overhand knot in the leader will keep the sinker where you want it and you don't have to crimp it so tight as to damage the line.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    A simple overhand knot in the leader will keep the sinker where you want it and you don't have to crimp it so tight as to damage the line.
    Thats exactly how I do it. Just squeeze it and loop a small knot under it. Split shots are fast and provide many lighter weights for tighlining in clear water. Yes I have watch the twists of removable shot in clear water, it happens on the fall, the bounce of the boat and will fighting a fish.