PDA

View Full Version : cleaning your bait pump

sac-a-lait
11-16-2007, 09:08 AM
I just cleaned mine for the first time AND it's a GOOD AS NEW. I soaked it in HOT water and a little soap over night and it took out EVERY last bit of any old stuff and a little I got on the threads. I just waited for the pump to run dry then soaked it and it looks like the DAY I GOT IT!!! This is good to know in case you get some on the threads over over-fill it.

SMITTY 58D
11-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Sac you catch alot more fish with the pump?

stinkies daddy
11-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Scents greatly improve your catch ratio

netexasperchjerker
11-16-2007, 09:44 AM
where do I click to post? I am a new member.:confused:

Fishn N Wishn
11-16-2007, 09:49 AM

Most usually post on the state board where you live or fish I guess

Fishn N Wishn
11-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Sac? how long do you leave your left overs in the pump before you comince of cleaning it/soaking it? Would it be best if just a day or 2 or would make a week or so might be to long?Thanks for advice in advance.

wannagofishin
11-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Not to take any business away from the bait pump guys...but...

I found something that works pretty well if you don't want to spend the 15-20 bucks for a bait pump...

Go to CVS or Wal-Greens - ask them for medicine syringes (my kids get them when they get scrips filled there) - you may have to say "I forgot to get..." - don't know if they'll just hand them out...

But anyway, they are just plastic syringes with a hollow tip (no needles or anything here guys) - and you simply pull the plunger out - load with some nibbles - replace the plunger, and push down - it's a little tougher to get out than the screw version of the pump - but works the same

So for you cheapskates out there like me!!!!!!!!

sac-a-lait
11-16-2007, 10:32 AM
well, the pump is compact and I just drop it in my pocket while fishing...

I leave nibbles in mine since the day I bought it BUT I got some in the threads and didn't like that so when it ran out this last time I didn't reload it and just soaked it over night in HOT water and soap.

Fishn N Wishn
11-16-2007, 10:46 AM
well, the pump is compact and I just drop it in my pocket while fishing...

I leave nibbles in mine since the day I bought it BUT I got some in the threads and didn't like that so when it ran out this last time I didn't reload it and just soaked it over night in HOT water and soap.

Just how long was that.week or 2 or month or longer?

wannagofishin: I have tried the syringe thing.Was kinda hard to get stuff to come out where it is kinda thick.But sure it will work & I agree alot cheapier (free v/s $20).I just want the pump to try out,have read alot of good reports bout it.

willfish4food
11-16-2007, 10:53 AM

In the forum you want to post in click the new thread button.

sac-a-lait
11-16-2007, 10:57 AM
I left them in there for MONTHS...Since I bought it 6 months ago?

Fishn N Wishn
11-16-2007, 11:05 AM
I left them in there for MONTHS...Since I bought it 6 months ago?

Wow thanks SAC that just answered my question well.So if I forget to clean mine out after each trip it wont hurt it.Thanks again man appreciate it.

SMITTY 58D
11-16-2007, 11:07 AM
If you think about it it probably makes an airtight seal? So it shouldnt dry out I think.

Fishn N Wishn
11-16-2007, 11:12 AM
If you think about it it probably makes an airtight seal? So it shouldnt dry out I think.

I was wondering about the spout that carrys the bait into the tube.It looks like the bait may harden up in it and create a monster.

Why wouldn't this part dry out? it isn't air tight,looks to be open to me on the site.

sac-a-lait
11-16-2007, 11:20 AM
No if it gets hard it just helps preserve the stuff in the main body. Any dryage comes right out with a twist.

SMITTY...I doubled my hook-ups with the pump. If you have any slack in your line if the scent is injected the fish usually hangs on to the bait longer allowing for a delayed hookset form the slack.

SMITTY 58D
11-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks for answering fishin n wishins question I was thinking the pressure from twisting it would let out all the bad stuff. Plus when you open the Jar and put the lid back on air gets in there and I've had a jar for months also with it not drying up. So since you place the Nibbles paste into the tube does it matter what color nibbles you buy?

sac-a-lait
11-16-2007, 11:31 AM
some still thinks it matters...I can't tell you all my secrets but if I can get a deal on a certain color or leftover inventory, I buy all I can. I have 20 jars of PINK, that I use in the PUMP, that I bought for $20 bucks.

Oh and YES, I talked with BERKLEY and they told me it was FINE to store my jars that I'm NOT using in the FREEZER for LONG TERM STORAGE.

wannagofishin
11-16-2007, 11:31 AM
yeah, the pump is for sure better...but this (using the medicin syrienge is a decent cheap alternative

FroggerZack
11-16-2007, 09:30 PM
That's what i use.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd242/Froggerz2806/SA551417.jpg

sac-a-lait
11-16-2007, 09:43 PM
that's cool. 2 distinct differences i see are the AMOUNT of nibbles you can hold and the DEPTH of the nibbles and the diameter...The pumps holding areas maybe a half inch from the top and about 1.5" deep and very round BIG diameter (makes gettin the nibbles in there without a big mess easier). I'm sure you can only load about the first inch or so of the one you are using...and the pump fits right in my pocket. I like both ideas just like the idea of buying a product from someone trying to do stuff in the Crappie Industry. Like Mirospoons. And my usage of nibbles has increased a lot so I like the fact the pump holds about 1/4 of a big jar every time I have to refill.

crappielimits
11-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I dont use scents, but I can tell you guys kodiak makes an injector that I was really impressed with years ago. It is a thick jelly that works really well.

FroggerZack
11-17-2007, 03:31 PM
that's cool. 2 distinct differences i see are the AMOUNT of nibbles you can hold and the DEPTH of the nibbles and the diameter...The pumps holding areas maybe a half inch from the top and about 1.5" deep and very round BIG diameter (makes getting the nibbles in there without a big mess easier). I'm sure you can only load about the first inch or so of the one you are using...and the pump fits right in my pocket. I like both ideas just like the idea of buying a product from someone trying to do stuff in the Crappie Industry. Like Microspoons. And my usage of nibbles has increased a lot so I like the fact the pump holds about 1/4 of a big jar every time I have to refill.

You are correct about the bait pump being easier to load. It's such a pain to get them nibbles down the tube 3 or 4 at a time. I use a pair or hook forceps to do this with. I agree with you about trying to support the people in this industry. That reminds me I need to call Keith and Jessica to place an order.