Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hand held GPS & Humminbird 717???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hand held GPS & Humminbird 717???

Anyone used a hand held GPS unit connected to a Humminbird 717 or similar unit? I bought the 717 because it was able to use the hand held input, but now that I am trying to figure out which cables I need and which hand held units are compatible with the 717 I have gotten confused!!!

Thanks
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

join the club shine runner i have a 727 i was trying to hook up a etrex hand held .humminbird sent me the cables thay said would work but didnt when i contacted them thay said thay were trouble shooting the promblem as we were speaking so i asked were did that leave me long story short thay sent me a gps receiver free of charge which i thought was pretty good on their part but that still leaves the question how the hell do you hook up a hand held to the 700 series let me know if you have any luck
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

You have to buy the cables from hummingbird. I would just buy the gps puck though. When using the handheld you have a harder time keeping a signal and have loose wires. Plus, you can keep handheld for backup purposes. If the boat batt. is dead you have the handheld.

Post Thanks / Like

I correct myself you have to buy the cable from humminbird and the one coming from the handheld! Again I would buy the gps receiver from HUmminbird it is only $99!

Post Thanks / Like

I need to read my 717 book more....but if I use the "puck" will I see "detail" or just GPS info (speed, location in degrees, etc) and a track? I got a Garmin GPS76cx and will be getting the detailed lake maps for the SE on a card for the unit or using the CD ROM Inland Lakes v3. Will the map info show on the 717? Thanks.
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

The 717 will only save waypoints, tracks, etc. It will show speed and location! It will not show detailed maps! You must have a combo and a card slot for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Will it show the map that is also showing on the hand held while I have them connected?

Post Thanks / Like

Not to my knowledge! I would get the 383,595,757,or 787 for that! I have the 797nvb which is preloaded with maps of the entire US!