Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Line on reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line on reels

Any of you (that's probably a stupid ? - i'm guessing most of you do) reline your own reels. I've never done it on my own before, but saw a little rig at BP and Cabelas for like $25 to strip and reline the reel -

Is it easy/hard - another way to do it that's better?

I mostly used closed-face reels - just titeline and cast around our docks

Post Thanks / Like

Tie the line to a battery powered drill with a piece of wood in the chuck. Run the drill in reverse. Becareful not to run the rod tip into the drill when the line finishes. When putting the line back on make sure the line comes off the line spool the same way the reel spool turns. I use a loop to attach the line to the reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea with the drill! I have never thought of that way.

Post Thanks / Like

CLick on this link and you'll find some good info from a previous thread.
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...ighlight=label
    Hey...jerk...your bobber's under!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Wannago ....

Quote Originally Posted by wannagofishin
    Any of you (that's probably a stupid ? - i'm guessing most of you do) reline your own reels. I've never done it on my own before, but saw a little rig at BP and Cabelas for like $25 to strip and reline the reel -
    I re-line all my own reels, without any mechanical devices. I just pull off the old line, drop it in a plastic bag (to take it to a recycle bin, later), then add the new line. It's less than a 5min job, per reel.

For closed face reels ... I'd do it the same as for spinning reels :

Run line thru one or more rod guides - run line thru reel cap hole - tie line around spool arbor - screw reel cap on - hold line with fingers, just outside of the reel cap hole - start reeling - stop reeling after about 10 handle turns - drop rod down towards line spool - if line twists into loops, flip line spool over and continue to reel (if line doesn't twist any more than a few coils between rod & line spool, then just keep reeling and leave line spool as it is).

You're going to get some twist in your line, no matter how careful or how you do it ... but, once the reel spool is 7/8 full - stop filling and cut the line (between reel and first guide) - then take it outside and pull off about 1/2 of the reel spool's capacity (nothing tied on the line) and reel it back on. This will eliminate most of the initial twist.

Normal use (esp casting) will impart twist to the line, in time. Jigs will spin in the air, when cast ... minnows will swim in circles ... etc. When you first start noticing the line twisting up .... just remove everything from the line and drag 50ft of it behind the boat for a few minutes (idle speed) ... or, if on land, just repeat the previous proceedure mentioned. This will remove most of the twist, and lay the line back on the reel spool arbor in a more uniform manner.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdant
    Tie the line to a battery powered drill with a piece of wood in the chuck. Run the drill in reverse. Becareful not to run the rod tip into the drill when the line finishes. When putting the line back on make sure the line comes off the line spool the same way the reel spool turns. I use a loop to attach the line to the reel.
    Swap hands with the drill if you dont have a reversable drill or just dont rerverse it at all

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 1/2 year old son helps me. He will pull all the line off then it takes us about 5 minutes for him t put the new line threw the eyelits. Then he and Daddy reel in the new line, the funny part is trying to get him to stop so I can check for line twists. He sits in my lap reeling while I hold a little pressure on the line with my one hand. I use my other hand to stop him from knocking all moms pictures down off the wall:p . " give a kid a fish and he'll hide it in your car but if you teach a kid to fish he'll have all your gear and boat ready for fishing by the time you get off work.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wannagofishin

Personally I wouldn't spend the money on a lining device. Spool it on by hand, make sure that the line goes on the same way it comes off the line spool, when you get that done, go outside and let about 1/2 to 3/4 of the off the reel and walk around the yare this will get the twist out. If you just have to spend 25 dollars spend it on a Bait Pump, and some tube jigs and some Crappie Nibbles. JMO
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

I used to get line twist all the time. That stopped about the same time I stopped buying left-handed minnows.

BTW, most Rosey Reds are right-handed.:D
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits
    Good idea with the drill! I have never thought of that way.
    Be DANG sure not to get a finger in it. It is sure to mess up yo day.