Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall slabs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall slabs?

Anyone slam large, fall, school crappies this year? I'm talk'n a 11-13" average and 2 fish/minute. If so, what did they hit?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

1/32nd hair jig
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by senkosam
    Anyone slam large, fall, school crappies this year? I'm talk'n a 11-13" average and 2 fish/minute. If so, what did they hit?

these hit blk and chart yum curly tails
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

We had one of the best fall slab bites Ive seen in years.Not total numbers but size the last 4 weeks have been unbelivable.We had several 16's and 4 fish over 17 the last two trips.I did catch my personal best a few weeks ago.17 1/4 2.46#.Not huge for some of you but for west Texas its a barndoor

A few of the other's for comparison.
    "Only Death will end my love affair with Texas"........... Bob Bullock

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, that's a great fish. Thanks for sharing the pic with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by radtexan
    We had one of the best fall slab bites Ive seen in years.Not total numbers but size the last 4 weeks have been unbelivable.We had several 16's and 4 fish over 17 the last two trips.I did catch my personal best a few weeks ago.17 1/4 2.46#.Not huge for some of you but for west Texas its a barndoor

A few of the other's for comparison.
    17 1/4?? You sure it wasnt a bass? Man I wish could catch one that big out of my local lake. I hooked into one that was about 4lbs I think, it was huge. I was fishing out of my rubber raft in an oxbow. My cork and minnow was 5 feet away from my raft in the branches of a fallen tree. I had already caught many 15 " fish here and was surprised when it bit. When it came to the surface it looked like a really shiny manhole cover. We both looked eye to eye and that darn thing went straight down and the hook came out. I almost started to cry. I fished that spot well after dark just hoping for a chance at him again.

Post Thanks / Like

17 1/4 sounds like a state record in NY. In the northeast, 16" is huge and I caught one at night on a bass tube! I was happy with my 4 - 14"fish and 3-16" white perch. The two weeks that the open water pattern held, crappies were hitting 4" bass grubs on 1/16 jigheads and Renegade medium dive jerk minnows with the longer bill (like they always do in spring and fall.) Amazing the fight of even a 12" slab, especially when it has some girth!

The bobber and flash jig (1/16) (float n fly) was also fun using a slim wood bobber. Cool to see that thing dive out of sight and the ease of the hook set.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 11-15-2007 at 01:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There's more to the story.We mainly fish at night when it first got to the surface my buddy reached down to lip it and said Oh its just a four # bass untill he got it in the boat.The lake record had stood for almost 6 years at 2.36 #.I didnt know exactly how big she was untill the next morning we weighed at the marina and found out it was 2.46 got all excited untill I found out a 2.59 had been weighed only 30 minuets earlier .Some of the smaller fish have come on minnows but all the larger fish were jigs. 1/16 or 1/8 oz mostly blk-chart but we had several on tan-blue & tan-pink
    "Only Death will end my love affair with Texas"........... Bob Bullock

Post Thanks / Like

I'ts amazing the different colors they hit in different parts of the country.

Post Thanks / Like

sizes too Smitty 58D,
    With our ponds freezing over ,the lakes will not be far behind.I'm thinking in 2 weeks we should be just starting ice fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast