Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boat weight

Post Thanks / Like

Default boat weight

With all the talk of pulling...

Wondering - how can you find out the weight of a boat. The boat I'm interested in is no longer in production (hasn't been for some time).

I just have a 2002 Ford Escape - V-6 - it says without the tow package the Max weight is 2000 pounds - with it - it's 3500 pounds - but I don't have the tow package. Now admittedly - I'm not sure if adding a hitch and such is considered a "tow package" - or if they do something with the engine....so I'm going to assume my max is 2000 pounds...

I'm looking at a 1983 Thunderbolt bass boat - 15 1/2 foot - 80 HP mercury, single axle trailer...

Just don't want to get something that's going to screw up my vehicle or not be able to be pulled....

Any help?

Post Thanks / Like

Thats my understanding a hitch and a add on trans cooler to keep the trans from getting to hot.
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

Any good Ford dealer could tell U exactly what tow package on your year is & does. This will aid in buying u trans cooler. If U do buy put mind at rest, take boat& all to nearest truck stop and do -weigh car & boat/ trailermotor together then park trailer aside & just weigh car....this will give U your best boat weight as scales are most accurate at range they are set to weigh.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Default depends

My question would be: How far would you normally pull the boat and under what conditions. I pull my double axle trailer 20/72 F & F boat with 115 tohatsu with a gas guzzling 1500 dodge with the towing package (lower geared, transmission cooler, and hitch).

My preacher pulls a single axle trailer 19/72 F & F boat with 70 tohatsu with his ford ranger 2wd. Luckily, he doesn't pull far. It looks like a go-kart pulling a railcar.

rushcreekoutdoor

Post Thanks / Like

most typical trips would be 1 hour trips down the highway

main long trip would be 3 hours from KC to Lake Ozarks

Post Thanks / Like

Default hummmm

that's a pretty good haul

Post Thanks / Like

I'd check into the "tow package" that boat isn't going to be 2000 lbs, but will be close so why take the chance?
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Default towing

I had to purchase a NEW truck to pull my Mariah 18 F&S. Single axle trailer, not sure what the tongue weight is. It weighs about 2000 lb. :rolleyes:
    My problem was that I couldn't get a good pull of the trailer and boat up the boat ramp.

flycaster

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 18 foot Javelin bass boat with a Johnson 150 Faststrike. With boat, motor and trailor it is less than 2000 pounds. I pulled it with a 93 s-10 blazer with a v6 and never had any problems. It did not have a tow package. My opinion is you should not have any problems.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go ahead and put a trans cooler on if it dosn't have 1, better safe that sorry. and never pull in over drive.
    Stinkies Daddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast