Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: whuppin stick

Post Thanks / Like

Default whuppin stick

anyone ever fished with the Cabelas "Whuppin Stick" crappie rods. Are they good, bad, worse than bad, what type of fishing are they made for?
    PAC
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 8ft Whuppin Stick.I have used it a bunch of times both tightlining and with casting floats.My opinon is it is heavy,much heavier than the Wally Marshalls and B&M's that I have.It also does not have the sensitivity that those rods have,but it's not to bad in that department.It has slip rings to hold the reel on and I prefer a fixed reel seat.With that said the rod cost me $16.00 and has a 7 year warrenty I believe,making this rod well worth the money.
    Last edited by ad1974; 11-13-2007 at 02:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, I was wondering about sensitivity for tightlining
    PAC

Post Thanks / Like

I have four of them I use for tight lining and I like them. I haven't used the B & M's or Wally Marshalls to compare them, but for the price I love them. I thought they were pretty light.

Post Thanks / Like

so you think they will do ok tightlining with a 3/4 or 1 oz sinker in a rod holder?
    PAC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whupping Stick Rods

I have several of them , the 6 1/2 length is great for long line trolling or casting jigs, the 8 ft. is good for a slip float, both are tough and great for the kids because of durability. However, for me, they are to whippy and to heavy for bottom bouncing or tightlining with heavy sinkers. They are well worth the price when that is most important, will last for years.
    Take a Kid fishing, keep only enough to eat, and release the rest to spawn again. Pop

Basketball Guy Guest

Paul...Just wanted to say thanks for letting me be the deckhand Monday. I had a blast.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a couple of 9' for bottom bouncing. They are just good ole' limber poles. Practical and econonical. I have caught a bunch on them.
    "Dude, where's my float?"

Post Thanks / Like

The 12' rods are great for spider rigging/slow trolling with 1/2 oz egg sinkers and two 1/16 or 1/8 oz jigs. Of 3/4 oz sinkers and hooks.

You can bend these poles over double and they will not break. You can put 14 pound test line on them and hoist slab crappies out of the water and they will not break. They have just the right amount of flexibility for spider rigging, and the strength needed, and only cost about $25 apiece. They are heavy and they are not made to be sensitive, so I wouldn't buy the other models for casting or jigging unless you are fan of the Ugly Stick type of rods. A Cabelas rep told me these ARE made by Ugly Stick. Which I don't doubt.

I fail to understand why someone would pay a LOT more for a sensitive graphite rod for spider rigging, which would also be a lot more fragile. These 8 are probably the last rods I will need to buy.

If they had fixed reel seats they would be perfect. But they don't....but the slip rings do hold the cheap Zebco 202 reels on just fine. Cheap and very effective spider rig rod/reels.
    Joe