Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minner Tank

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minner Tank

I need some ideas on a simple minner tank to hold my left over minners from one weekend to the next. Do you need filters or chemicals or just a good areator ?

Post Thanks / Like

i use an old 10 gal fish tank. i currently use a filter and works great 4 just a few dozen leftovers

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A plastic barrel (I have used a 30 gal. and it worked fine for leftover minnows but now I buy by the pound so I stepped up to a 55 gal. barrel) placed out of the sunlight will work find during the winter months. If you'd like you could pick up an aquarium areator from Walmart for @ $15-$20 to run in the water, but probably unnecessary during cold months for just 4 or 5 doz. leftover minnows.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A large thick styrofoam cooler works great year round. No aerator needed, just keep the water cool.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a big cooler. I just drilled a hole in the top for an air pump hose. Just an aquarium air pump.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

How often if ever do you change the water?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hotter weather seems more critical to "clean" the water (and helps to cool it off too) but during the winter I usually change out a few 5 gal. buckets of water every couple of weeks. The minnows arent hard to keep alive during the winter months. Some people add salt and others use a bait saver. I just let 'em live in the water using an airstone ocassionally and dont have any problems.
    Last edited by gabowman; 11-12-2007 at 10:05 PM.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I use either the minnow bucket or my styrofoam bucket and just dump a small cup of ice in there everynight and they almost all seem to make it.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 48qt cooler, with a areator, summer time ice to keep water cool,I use 2ltr pepsi bottles for ice have 4 in freezer and change them out

Post Thanks / Like

I also use an aquarium(10 gallon I think)and It works well unless it is real hot out.I have a filter for it and moved it into the cooler basement,but when the weather got hot and humid I still losing alot of minnows.Having a nice supply at home sure beats running to the baitshop on every fishing trip.