Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Towing Vehicle!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Towing Vehicle!

Thinking of getting another vehicle and was wondering if any of you use a Chevy Trailblazer to pull your rig.I know most of these are tow package ready and was wondering how they do pulling a boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I towed a 16 ft Bayliner runabout with my 2000 blazer with no problems. I now have a 2005 Colorado Z71 with a 3.5 liter 5 cylinder with 220 hp, thats what the mfg says. Anyway it pulls the same boat like you don't even know it's there.
    No that's not a mistake it really does have a 5 cylinder.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

It's not the pulling that's important. It's the stopping ability. As long as you're aware that you're towing with a smaller vehicle, and allow for it when stopping, you'll be fine.
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind how it drives as well. You have to drive the truck and the trailer. I occasionally pull a tractor to some property I have a few miles from home and I used to switch 48' trailers across the yard where I work.

To answer your question, a friend of mine has a Trailblazer and a 198DLX Carolina Skiff. He says it pulls OK but for long trips he'd rather have something else.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a guy at the ramp today pulling a bass tracker with one. He was by himself, and had to crawl thought the back hatch and come out the side door when he loaded it up. I thought to myself, sure is a lot easier to go through the bed of my truck and jump out on the ramp.... Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pstone
    I saw a guy at the ramp today pulling a bass tracker with one. He was by himself, and had to crawl thought the back hatch and come out the side door when he loaded it up. I thought to myself, sure is a lot easier to go through the bed of my truck and jump out on the ramp.... Just a thought.
    When you get older that jump from the bed can be dangerous to knees. That's the only problem I have with my truck. With the Blazer, I too put down the back seat and crawled thru, no big deal. Pull the lever and the seat folds over flat.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the Trailblazer to tow small to medium boats with no problems at all. It has a strong frame under it, unlike some other models, and you can get it with a V-8. I've actually seen larger boats being towed with a Trailblazer, like a Supra competition ski boat. I love them!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have an '04 TB EXT which I use to pull my boat (16ft. fiberglass with 90 hp Johnson on it) when I'm going on longer trips. When fishing nearby lakes I use my old '84 Ford Bronco. The TB has the V-6 and does very well but the gas mileage suffers some. I'm not sure how it will do on a much larger boat. I'm satisfied with mine.

Post Thanks / Like

anyone know of pulling with a Ford Escape - V 6?

That's what I have and that is one of my hesitations in getting a boat -

I'm looking at 15-16 foot - either fiberglass or aluminum - with anywhere from 45-90 HP motors...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Len ..

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    Thinking of getting another vehicle and was wondering if any of you use a Chevy Trailblazer to pull your rig.I know most of these are tow package ready and was wondering how they do pulling a boat.
    check the towing capacity of a Trailblazer, and that should give you a good idea of whether or not it will pull your boat. By the way ... you didn't mention exactly what rig you're needing to pull

I drive a 4dr 2wheel drive S10 Blazer 1994 model / 200hp 4.3L Vortec V-6 -- I've towed a 15.5ft fiberglass boat/70hp ... 17ft alum Tracker/50hp - both with full gear for 2-3 anglers, plus the anglers. Trips range from 1.5hr one-way, to local lakes ... to 4-6hr one-way trips out of state. It's handled the loads, just fine. Gas mileage runs about 17mpg average ... or about the same as I get driving "in town" (with just me - no boat/passengers/load).

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast