Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pond Crappie

Lowrider Guest

Default Pond Crappie

Hi all, new to the forum. I couldn't register my screen name, cause I'm at my old man's house. So, I created him an account as well. But look for my screen name of DiggityDave in the future.
    This forum is excellant, it's good to know that there are fisherman who aren't stingy to share their knowledge. I'm reading about mostly lake fishing, but would like to share our experience with you, as someone might be able to use it to give us more insight.
    My old man and I went to a private pond today, and netted 32 keepers, in just under an hour. We anchored down right off the bank by a downed tree. I was using a 1/32oz jig, fishing the bottom {about 8'}, and the old man was using a 1/24oz jig with a cork, popping his at about 4'-5'. Color didn't matter, these fish were hungry, as I believe a nearby otter was. A few of the fish we caught had been bitten.
    There was a slight breeze, and the water temp. was a little cool {we haven't gotten a thermometer yet}, but nothing like yesterday. I was out at another private pond yesterday, and didn't catch the first crappie. But just to share a disturbing experience, we trolled up through a little cove, in about 4' of water, and looked down to see about a 10'-12' alligator resting on the bottom, right up under our boat. That was a rush!
    Anyway, we're hoping to catch a day off next week and are planning to fish Lake Jackson. If anyone has any locations to wet a jig, please share. Dad's been a couple of times, and I only once, so it's still a new lake to fish. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for your time and all of the wonderful tips I'm reading. Happy fishing to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report Dave. I'd take 32 fish anyday. I really don't fish any of the local ponds for crappie, but I do fish the Little River for them. I'm still learning how to really get them in numbers from the river. Other than that its the reservoirs. I have been thinking about fishing Banks Lake for crappie, just north of Valdosta. There are trees everywhere. While I'm on that subject....has anyone fished Banks lake for crappie? Ever? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I've fished once in little river above reid Bingham park.

Where you fishing it?

I've always wanted to try Banks lake, but heard it is full of weeds.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish it below Reed Bingham down here near Valdosta. I actually put in at the DNR boat ramp on the other side of 75 here in Valdosta. I paddle up stream. Its much shallower and keeps the fishing pressure down. Everyone goes downstream to fish, because the Withlacoochee connects with the Little, and its a bigger river. But there is a pretty good crappie population in the river. I the past I have caught them as a bycatch. But here in a month or so, I'm going to target them with the shiners I catch in the Little river. Feed em exactly what the feed on. There are alot of weeds in Banks. I do know that, but that doesn't bother me if there is a decent crappie population in there.

Post Thanks / Like

I have also fished Reed Bingham for crappie. Did alright, but they have strict bag limits though.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Welcome DiggtyDave!

Hello DiggtyDave, Welcome to Georgia Crappie.Com,We are happy to have you join us. Hello BlindHog, Good to hear from you again! Jimmy S.